1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell on Astros broadcasts

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DanHiggsBeard, May 4, 2004.

1. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

1 1/2 hours into his return, and I'm already missing Dierk. It took his return for me to realize what we werr were missing since he's been absent from the booth since the mid 90's.

Along with Rick Sutcliffe, Dierker is the best color man in the business and I don't understand why they don't just give him the job outright.

Worrell is good on Rockets broadcsats, but he obviously pales in comparison to Dierk when it comes to baseball knowledge. Do you think Worrel would be able to point out that the reason Reddings's sliders are hagning are because he's pitching off the left of the rubber? i don't think so.

Hopefully he gets the job full-time next season.

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Mr. Worrell should stick to basketball.

Larry Dierker has been great. I really enjoy his inputs, opinions and observations. But I have to give the edge to the guy that works in Larry's place for the road games (his name I cannot retrieve from my memory now). He is humorous, witty and an absolute pleasure to listen to.

3. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Jim DeShaises(sp?).

I don't him at all, but he can get a little goofy sometimes.

When it comes down to it, I'd prefer Dierker o every game, though.

4. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

er, that should read that I don't mind him.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I am still used to Bill with Rockets games. I just love how he mentions the Rockets during the off season if they do a big move or something, gets me pumped up for the following season.

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i just don't like the Bill Brown/Bill Worrell team. They are both play by play guys who bring little analysis when compared to Deshaies and Dierker. Put either Brown or Worrell with one of them and they are much better.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think Worrell played some baseball for UH... but it would be better if they split off Brown with JD (they have great great chemistry), and Worrell and Dierker.

Say what you want about Worrell's baseball commentating ability... but for some reason, whenver he's announcing, the Astros always seem to win a lot of games at home.

Of course that's just one big coincidence with the fact that they start playing their best baseball after the Rockets season ends... but it is something I've noticed over the past 4 years.

8. Buck Turgidson

Worrell and Milo can both cite the power of inertia and incumbency as the sole reasons they are still calling games. They're pathetic.

Brown should work with Dierker at home & Deshaies on the road.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Or we could just do without Worrell all together.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Whoa, Milo is the best.

Color guys Dierk and DeShaies (sp?) are good.

Ash is improving, starting to approach listen-to-able..

Bill Worrell, the Rocket announcer, is excellent. Bill Woeful, the Astros announcer, is, well woeFULL!

Brownie is dully.

11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Milo is terrible. Everytime I hear him talk I cringe. Brown, Dierk, and JD are awesome though. MLB Extra Innings is a great investment. I love being able to see all the games even though I dont live in H-town.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To each (ear) his own.

13. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Milo calling the double play to end the game last night,

'the pitch is on its way....whoa...eeee...oooo.. ahhhh.....oooooh....yow...wow.... oh man.. out........astros win..astros win.....holy toledo'

and i'm still laying down listening to the radio waiting for this idiot to explain what actaully happen minutes after the fact, which he never did. I had to assume the batter struck out and a runner was caught stealing to end the game.

14. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

You know how Ash usually handles the 4th inning? I'm pretty sure that's becuase Milo is off getting drunk.

You really shouldn't be surprised if he's struggling by the end of the game.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There were already two outs when the runner attempted to steal. He actually was safe (and was originally called safe) but came off the bag and Kent did a good job keeping the tag on.

It seems to me that Milo announces the game as if everyone can see what is happening. I do not like listening to him (or Worrell for that matter).

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Dierker is a really good broadcaster. He was unfairly pushed out as a manager (imo), and I'm glad to see he wasn't too bitter to come back to the organization in the job he did so well for so many years.

17. deepellumrocket

It just seems to me that complaining about Milo is just pissing in the wind. The guy has built up enough tenure or cred or whatever over the past few decades that he's earned the right to call it quits whenever he decides. Do I have a soft spot in my heart for him? Yes. Do I get little chill bumps every time I hear "Astros baseball is on the air"? Yes. Now having said all that, do I think he's competent when it comes to calling the action right now? No. But complaining about it is not going to change it. One of these days he'll retire and we'll get some young buck with one nth the personality of Milo and we'll all bemoan the good ol' days when we had a Hall of Fame broadcaster calling the games.

Note: The good ol' days do not necessarily include the past 2 or 3 years, so in fact, I'm already bemoaning the good ol' days. :(

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

First of all the man is not an idiot that was me being emotional and stupid. Its just that I like listening to the game on the radio while im trying to fall asleep but its hard to get a picture of what is happening when Milo leaves me guessing with eee--oooo--aahhh---wows. I think the guy is competent and can absorb what is happening on the field at the moment it's happening but like kind of like borek says - he becomes a fan and gets so caught up in the action that he leaves us guessing. I would like to know that the batter hit a homerun during the moment he hits the homerun, not after he's rounding third.

19. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

Milo might not be able to hit that high 90's fastball any more with respect to play by play, but if Worrell's mindless idiocy isn't enough to make you mute the tv and turn on the radio (or, in the case of some of us, the computer), then I don't know what to tell you.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would take a potted plant over Milo. He mentions the score every third inning or so, whether he needs to or not. You can also tell that his mind is on a 6 second delay. You will hear a background roar followed by Milo saying "the pitch is tight, but Bags gets a hold of it, deep toward the Crawford boxes ...", roar stops, "Homerun!!!".