1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill release Pro Bowl guard Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Mar 1, 2004.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Reuben Brown Released

Bills release Pro Bowl guard Brown

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
    March 1, 2004
    ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Ruben Brown proved too expensive and, perhaps, too vocal for the Buffalo Bills.

Citing ``a myriad of factors,'' Bills president Tom Donahoe announced Monday that the team had released Brown, an eight-time Pro Bowl guard.

``There wasn't one specific thing that did it,'' Donahoe said, noting that the decision was reached after new coach Mike Mularkey and his staff evaluated the team's returning players.

``I believe that our new staff felt that, coming in, we wanted to go in a different direction and it's probably best for both parties,'' Donahoe said.

By releasing Brown, the Bills saved $1.8 million in salary-cap space, representing the bonus the player was due on Wednesday, the day when NFL teams must be at or below the $80.6 million salary cap.

Brown, who turned 32 last month, had three years left on a seven-year contract and will still count $4 million against Buffalo's cap this season with his prorated signing bonus.

Brown's status has been in question since December, when the Bills excused him from playing in their season finale at New England. The team has refused to say why Brown was excused.

Brown has maintained that it was for disciplinary reasons after he had a disagreement over offensive philosophy with the team's former coaching staff, led by Gregg Williams.

Donahoe declined to discuss what happened, but said it was among the reasons Brown was released.

``It certainly was a factor,'' said Brown's agent, Eric Metz. ``When you combine that with a player on the wrong side of 30, with a $5.8 million cap hit, I think it was too much for them.''

In a statement released through the Bills, Brown said: ``I know there were questions surrounding the way the season ended last year, and I have chosen to keep those issues personal. Many of those issues have been resolved and my life has moved on from that point.''

Selected 14th overall in the 1995 draft by Buffalo, Brown and backup quarterback Alex Van Pelt were the two longest serving players on the Bills' current roster.

Brown had been a full-time starter at left guard since his rookie season. He had started 136 games with Buffalo, including 15 last season, and had missed only eight games in nine seasons.

Brown set a franchise record when he was selected to his eighth-straight Pro Bowl last December. He ranks second among Bills players with eight Pro Bowl selections, behind Bruce Smith, who was selected 11 times.

This would be a nice pick up for the o-line. While he is just over 30, he is a very good guard. Not sure what he would cost now, but I don't think it would be too much. What do you guys think?

2. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

He costs too much and is a short term solution where the Texans aren't looking for short term success.. The Texans will develop the O-line through the draft and free agent backups.

Their resources will be dedicated to suring up the D-line and depth at other defensive positions.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He was a fraud of a pro-bowler anyway, this guy just made it on rep year after year even though he seemed to be mailing it in, or so most konwledgeable writers seem to have said.

4. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

ill pass......thanx for the info tho

5. leroy

Now that we got Wade, this would be pointless anyway. Please feel free to lock.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Some other realted rumors:

Corey Dillon to Broncos for a 4th
    Ty Law wants out of New England
    Troy Vincent to the Bills
    Garcia to the Falcons

7. leroy

I understand 3 out of 4 of those. Why the hell would the Falcons want Garcia? What do they know about Vick or are they simply tryin to protect themselves incase of another devastating injury to Vick? I wouldn't want to have to go into another season with Doug Peterson. Then again, why would Garcia want to be a backup? Hasn't he done enough to prove that he is a starter (whether he really is or not).