1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bikini Cuts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Barfo10, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

I was at work today and a patient told me about a place called Bikini Cuts over on Jones Rd. I couldn't find anything about it on the internet though so I don't know if this guy is pulling my leg or what. He said its like Sports Clips but that they have plasma screens, they serve beer, and of course the girls are wearing bikinis. Anybody heard of it or been there?

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I haven't but if you find it, tell the rest of us and put the link...;)

When I first saw this, I was thinking of bikini waxes or something...

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

www.bikinicuts.com

It looks like it's a place up in Utah. Chances are, if a chick has to resort to wearing a bikini to get a job cutting hair, she's probably not that good to begin with.

"Taper?? Like, what does that mean?"

4. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

I bet Bikini Cuts: Mormon Style would make a great reality show

5. Barfo10

Barfo10 Member

Found this article as well

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/01/AR2006100100688_pf.html

In Fairfax, Bikinis and Buzz Cuts

By Chris Kirkham
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, October 2, 2006; D01

Mike Blot and Rudy Lilly were fed up. They wanted decent haircuts but hated the available options.

It was either endure the modern unisex hair salon, with its flowery smells and complicated gels, or put up with the cigarette-smoking barber down the street.

Their solution: Girls in bikinis, cutting hair in a beach-themed salon.

"Life's too short for an ugly barber," Lilly said.

When their Paradise Cuts salon opens later this week in Fairfax, Blot and Lilly, both 43, hope it solves a problem that is enticing entrepreneurs in cities nationwide. They think men want the same pampering as women -- whether it's a pedicure or a body wax. But they don't want it done in mixed company or in an atmosphere that's too feminine.

The result has been a boomlet in salons designed for macho appeal. An evolution beyond the corner barbershop and the one-size-fits-all metrosexual boutique, they range in tone from sports kitsch to boardroom serious. The bikini-clad stylists at Paradise Cuts are a variation on the theme found at Knockouts, where men get trimmed in a boxing ring by women in boxing shorts and can channel-surf in the process. Sport Clips as a locker room theme, widescreen televisions and women stylists trained to make sports-related small talk. The Grooming Lounge, which has two locations in the area, features leather couches and free liquor.

The salon and barbershop industry, ranging from high-end lounges to bargain-franchise operations like the locally based Hair Cuttery, was worth more than $28 billion as of 2002, according to U.S. Census estimates.

On a recent Saturday in Fairfax, Paradise Cuts stylists wearing pastel bikini tops and flowing sarongs chatted with friends at an open house. The styling mirrors hung from surfboards. A mural of a Hawaiian beach scene with palm trees and dunes decorated the wall.

Stylist Sheryl Cubbage leaned against the faux-bamboo haircut station. "Men like visuals, so why not have a good haircut and a . . . good conversation," said Cubbage, 36, who also plays guitar in a local rock band. "It's about being pampered. Women get it all the time, so why shouldn't men?"

Aside from atmosphere, many of the services in these male-centric businesses are identical to those offered by high-end salons that cater to women. They offer pedicures, waxing, highlighting and massages, along with haircuts. Prices range from $20 to upward of $50 for a simple cut. There's a discount for children.

"What's still happening for men is that we want vestiges of our old barbershop, we want the feeling of other men being around us, but we want the goods and services of what's being offered in a wider array," said Gregory Fairchild, a former fashion industry employee who is now an assistant professor at University of Virginia's Darden Business School. "They still want to have the male-bonding experience in a comfortable way."

Like the other male-focused chains, Paradise Cuts has franchising in mind.

Knockouts, with such aptly titled trims as the Heavyweight and the Uppercut, started in Dallas in late 2003. It has since has expanded to eight states and has sold more than 40 locations.

Sport Clips, also based in Texas, got its start in the '90s. The franchise has expanded to 425 stores throughout the country, but is new to Northern Virginia and much of the East Coast. The franchise had locations in Manassas and Stafford that closed last year, but a new one in Ashburn is set to open this week. Its stores are more geared toward families and don't offer additional spa services. But the goal is the same.

"We want to do for haircuts what Starbucks did for coffee," said Gordon Logan, the chain's founder. "It's creating an experience around getting a haircut, which most men don't look forward to."

Admittedly, Blot and Lilly take the concept a bit further.

Finding the right employees was an obstacle. The newspaper ads they placed simply called for stylists. When the responses came back, Lilly had to explain the concept and the dress code over the phone. Some chafed at the idea, but others were sold.

"One girl just liked the idea of wearing less clothes to work," Blot said.

Although Blot and Lilly don't consider the premise racy, any potential backlash may work to their advantage.

In Salt Lake City, a similarly themed store called Bikini Cuts used controversy to its advantage. After protests from local politicians and representatives of the Mormon Church, customers flocked to the salon.

"[Salt Lake] is odd, but in a way it's the perfect place. It's nothing but free advertising," said Bikini Cuts owner Clint Jensen. "The more taboo it is out here, the busier you are."

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

it's not bikini cuts, it's called sexy scissors...You get free beer there, but it's not worth the money

7. Nice Rollin

8. Nice Rollin

i cant believe ppl are willing to spend $17 for a haircut....

especially a $17 haircut from transexuals
    [​IMG]

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

There's a place where I live that has chicks in lingerie cut hair. A plain haircut costs like $25. If they were nude, maybe. They don't do nude cause then they would be a SOB and would lose their cosmetics license. But again anyone who is willing to strip to cut hair is probably willing to dance and there is some reason (like they're ugly) why they're not in clubs.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How much does hair cut cost in Houston?

Over here if I just go to any of the normal stores like super cut it cost about 12-14 dollars. If you go to sport cuts it is a little more but you get a head massage and maybe a shoulder rub. $17 is not really out of line is it? Of course I wouldn't want to be cut by these two lol.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That's a man.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Okay, that seriously is going to give me nightmares. OMFG.

The rest aren't too bad.

[​IMG]

13. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

There was a place in Hot Springs, Arkansas that gave haircuts while the girls were topless. (insert your cliche joke about her not having any teeth here.)

14. Nice Rollin

i pay $10 at TGI Haircutters...i know some places where u can play $3.99, but those places are bad. they cut your hair uneven and they dont disinfect the razors before they cut your hair...

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That is a dude if I ever saw one.

16. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

sports clips is like 15$ and its a toss up whether or not you get a decent cut. and you have to watch espn the whole time

17. Nice Rollin

i never understood sports clips....who wants to watch sports and get a haircut??? you cant see anything anyways when the lady tells u to turn your head...

18. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

nothing hotter than an old chick in a bikini covered with some other dude's hair.

and even if they were hot, do you even want to put on those aprons? who knows what past customers were doing under there...

19. n8rox06

n8rox06 Member

That is similar to 'Sexy Scissors' on Jones Road & 1960. I haven't been in there myself, but I saw a flyer at a restaurant near there and....eeessshh. Looked like the pic of the trannies above. They serve beer and cut hair. To me, the combo doesn't mix.

Everytime I drive by there, I see some stanky looking women outside smoking. Just say no.

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

What are you talking about, it's a PERFECT combination. They get you drunk enough to:

a) not notice the bad haircut you just got
    b) ask one of the stylists out

It's a win/win situation