1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest hits in the NFL

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gr8-1, Sep 27, 2000.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

One that comes to mind is the one Atwater laid on Okoye on MNF. I remember hearing that pop.

You guys remember any ? Maybe by Ronnie Lott ? I didn't get to see him in his prime.

------------------
    "Well, I don't know what I received my honorary degree in, but judging by the fine sisters in the crowd, I hope it is gynecology." Mike Tyson speaks to the crowd after receiving his honorary degree from a college in Ohio.

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Ronnie Lott and LT were some heavy hitters. For a small guy, Dishman could put the hurt on some folks.

I remember a hit that stunned me back when I was a kid. It was a Detroit Lions game (may have been a Thanksgiving Day game), on special teams (a punt I think) and some Hawaiin or Samoan dude hit an opposing player and the whole crowd went, "WHOAAAAA!"

As the applause died down, the guy was running to the sidelines and fell flat on his face from the hit he put on that guy.

He got up a few seconds later and bowed!!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

OHHH, forgot the hit the Giants ex-QB, Brown, put on Deion Sanders.

Anyone else, and I am sure he might have slid. But he saw Deion, lowered his shoulder, and leveled Sander-clause....put him on his A$$!!!

Beatiful!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Earl Campbell on the whole Rams defense!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

5. Summer Song Giver

Andre Rison and Deon Sanders Locked up at the line with fists swinging,no real hits but it was fun to watch.That hit Monday night on the reciever in the corner of the end zone was a good one.

------------------
    I'm not the type to eat it up but the type to hit it raw dog and seed it up.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

One word....Theismann

A close second goes to that hit that Buddy Ryan laid to that assistant coach's grill (can't remember his name) on the sidelines during a Sunday Night game way back...

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

[This message has been edited by A-Train (edited September 27, 2000).]

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm sorry, but the best hit ever occured in the NCAA when Aggie Coryatt leveled some more Horney Toad coming across the middle and broke the dude's jaw.

And if I'm giving any props to an Aggie, it must be well deserved.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

R95, never give props to the ags [​IMG].

Cowboy fans, remember the hit Manny Hendrix layed on a Philly player ??

Hook em

------------------
    "Well, I don't know what I received my honorary degree in, but judging by the fine sisters in the crowd, I hope it is gynecology." Mike Tyson speaks to the crowd after receiving his honorary degree from a college in Ohio.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Some QB was bent in half by two players one year and wobbled off. I think it was either a Bear, Cowboy, Philly, or Saints QB that got sacked. It was nasty. I don't know how any human could have survived it. He was speared by two players. But that's all I can offer you as far as remembering that play.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Earl Campbell vs. a buncha various db's and lb's.

Ray Childress once stood Christian Okoye straight up. Okoye's legs were still going, but Childress basically stood him him then slammed him on his back.

------------------
    I got nothin'.

11. RENDIGGLER3:20

PhiSlammaJamma,That was the best run ever IMO.

But the hardest hit ever was Earl Campbell and Jack Tatum at the goaline.

Personally I have done a backflip from a hit before!

------------------

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

When Jamie Foxx got hit and did a flip , whoops that was a movie , I think the one where Tatum and Campbell hit at the endzone and Campbell fell into the end zone

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

[This message has been edited by moestavern19 (edited September 27, 2000).]

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

You guys want to see the best hits ever on an NFL football field?

Find some videos of Night-Train Lane. He had some of the most ferocious hits the NFL has ever seen. He played back before they outlawed the "close-line" tackle.

Quotes

"Night Train and Dick Butkus - they'd hurt you when they hit you." ...Alex Hawkins

"Night Train Lane was the best defensive back to ever play the game. I tried to pattern my game after him because he was the best. He could have played any one of the four (secondary) positions. I've never seen a defensive back hit the way he hit - I mean take them down, whether it be Jim Taylor or Jim Brown." ...Herb Adderley

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited September 27, 2000).]

14. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Phil McConkey got decked a few times - he used to return punts for the Giants in the 80's.

The offensive coordinator in question on the Buddy Ryan attempted haymaker is Kevin Gilbride.

The best hit I can remember was Eugene Seale in an '89 (?) game on a Sunday night at the Dome against the Redskins - he came out of nowhere and blasted the kick returner. The guy fumbled because he was knocked out before he hit the ground. The game was stopped for 10 minutes before they could cart the guy off the field. Nasty.

------------------
    The Badministrator

15. Gascon

Gascon Member

How about the hit that LT put on Joe Montana that effectively took five years off of the man's carreer?

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

16. Steve

Steve Member

Hehe this is a funny one Lloyd from Pittsburg to Dan Marino that left him out for like 3games cuz he had a bruced chest! the funny thing was Marino pissed off when lloyd was on top of him grabed his mask and had a couple of words to say !

------------------
    "It wasn't a fight. He punched me one time, that's all. That's not a fight. I don't fight at 30,000 feet. I had an education." L8 vs Stack

17. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

- The assistant coach that Buddy Ryan punched was offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride.

- In all fairness, Christian Okoye put some nasty hits on others too especially Atwater.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

18. 3pointer

3pointer Member

Not to blow my own horn but the best hit I can somewhat remember was the one I put on receiver during practice in my 8th grade yr... he was running the ball back from a kick return and I was way back in the field so I had a chance to pick up some major speed and all of the sudden he was in my vision and he was looking back thinking that he had outrun everyone... this is when things slow down ... he was running very fast, dust was being picked up by his shoes, I had time to choose where I was going to hit him, should I go for the head? chest or just wrap him around the waist? I went against the wraparound due to his speed and the fact that he was rather sleek.. so I decided to go for a blow to the upper body and hopefully knock him down ... anyways I recall leaving my feet and basically flying through the air and at the last split second closing my eyes... after that I just recall hearing people talk in the background and the voices getting louder and louder, I opened my eyes and there was this group of people all around me, I tried to get up but was inmediately told not to try, I was asked my name and took a look at my coaches fingers and count them... (no my name was not batman [​IMG] ) as I slowly got up I remember seing another huddle of people about 10 feet away from where I was and I asked what had happened and I was told that I had caused a fumble and that he was passed out!!! I could not believe it ! the coach said that in his many yrs of coaching he had never seen someone fly so high after beeing hit ..he proceeded to tell me what my mind couldn't, basically I hit him on his shoulders and a combination of his speed and mine caused him to flip backwards 2 times in the air and he landed flat on his stomach not moving.. I in the meanwile flipped fowards and also landed flat on my face and did not move for a wile. To tell you guys the truth I was afraid I had hurt him and after that I was always carefull when hitting someone, it basically made me be too careful and in football you can't do that ! I was small in statured but what I lacked in stature I made up with heart ! I was a little tough SOB... what ever happened to that ???? anyways.. life goes on.

------------------
    Life moves pretty fast, If you don't stop and look once in a while you might miss it!! ... Ferris Bueler

19. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

A few come to mind...

That Earl Campbell-Helmet in the chest of the opposing linebacker hit was awe inspiring. Wasnt that the same run where he hits the guy, knocks him on his arse, someone grabs his jersey and he keeps going as his jersey rips to shreds right off of his pads?

How about that hit Bo Jackson popped on Brian Bosworth at the goal line. Mano a mano.

Anyone catch Lavar Arringtons crush on James Stewart this year? So loud.

That Saints reciever a few weeks ago got absolutely leveled.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink