1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big win for Bush as he protects the middle class from the wealthy's higher taxes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, May 9, 2006.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Conspiracy theories would have you believe that they're running deficits on purpose just for this very reason as a way to get rid of these programs.

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

By the way:

Under this tax bill, people who earn more than $500,000.00 a year will receive $41,000.00 back.

People who make between $20,0000.00 and $30,000.00 a year will receive.....$9.00

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

People making 20-30k will hardly pay any taxes at all, if any. You're not telling the full truth, Thadeus. Shame on you.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

$41,000 of $500,000 = 8.2%
    $9 of $30,000 = .03%

5. bigtexxx

How much is the $30k wage earner paying in taxes? Please analyze this.

Thad - pls document the assumptions behind your data. You've provided no justification to date.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

texxx do you advocate getting rid of Social Security and Medicare?

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Bigtexx, just admit that as a country club Republican you doh't give a crap about those making 20 to 30 K.

8. bigtexxx

glynch give me a break. As much as you would like to think that I hate poor people, you couldn't be further from the truth.

20 to 30k is not a bad monthly salary at all. ;)

9. thadeus

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/10/house.tax.ap/index.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/10/politics/main1606879.shtml

(also watch the video linked from the front page at www.cbsnews.com)

...most of the tax cut for the under $50,000 will go to those around $50,000. (which is an estimate I guess - I was watching some financial show on PBS). Factor in the capital gains and dividends cuts (the bulk of which will go to those who earn $500,000 a year or more).

No tax cuts for tuition, no exemptions for state and local taxes, no exemptions for teachers who buy their own school supplies, etc.,.

Granted, the figures aren't perfect - they came from a TV program on PBS.

10. bigtexxx

More shameful responses from you. You love to tell half-truths, don't you. These data don't take into account that the more you earn, the more you pay in taxes. The top 50% of wage earners pay more than 96% of all taxes received by the government in this country. When you cut taxes, of course the people who actually pay the taxes will be the ones who benefit.

11. thadeus

I'm just reprinting what I read/watched.

Do people who earn $1,000,000 a year pay taxes proportional to the tax cut they're receiving in comparison to the people who make $50,000 a year?

What about the people who make well over $1,000,000?

Link?

I think the important point here is that the U.S. government is fighting a very, very expensive war, and cutting programs to underprivileged people, and passing on a ton of debt to future generations - now is not the time to make tax cuts. It's irresponsible, and a desperate move in order to get votes.

I don't give a damn about Democrats or Republicans. I just don't want to watch the U.S. turn into Brazil in my lifetime.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm sorry - what did he win again? Thanks.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Whatever glimmer of truth in the theory would be overshadowed by the inept and selfish nature of all politicians.

Occam's razor strikes again...

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Although I think Bush II has failed with most pieces of policy, I think he has done a stellar job in regards to taxes. As for the robust economy, its more of a cyclical business cycle occurence that is happening on Bush II's watch.

15. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Thats nice. He went from the largest budget surplus in history in 2000 to the largest budget deficit in history in 2004. Thats an amazing 4 year feat. Let me know when he gets the deficit back to 0.

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

bigtexxx, looking at his reflection in the mirror again.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There are 2 pieces to the puzzle...

"Another bill that contains $30 billion in tax breaks backed by both Republicans and Democrats, will advance later.

Those widely supported tax breaks include preserving tax deductions for state and local sales taxes, a tuition tax deduction, a tax break for teachers who buy their own school supplies and a research and development tax credit for businesses."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3854881.html

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Now you're getting to the heart of the matter. We're in the middle of a war. Tthe President made sure of that by invading and occupying Iraq. Yet his constant mantra is, "More tax cuts!!!" It's incredibly irresponsible, and unprecedented in American history. The sooner we can put some brakes on this clown, the better. That'll start in November.

Keep D&D Civil.

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

In 2004 the govt. took in about 750 billion in withholding, about half of that was social security and medicare. They took an additional 50 billion in 'other' withholding. The annual interest on the fed debt was just over 300 billion.

So the tax money being debated is going to the bankers- the interest on the debt.

The government does not need any income tax to operate as long as it is running off debt. The only way to understand the current U.S. economy is to study all the debt long and hard.

We do realize that the Federal Reserve is a privately owned bank that is making some wealthy owners very wealthy off of you and I?

Tax debates are useless and boring.
    All these discussions will end when the fat lady sings.

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Maybe, but I moved to the highest cost of living in the US and I am paying a ridiculous amount of taxes outta my paychecks.

Could be, thanks for the advice.

What have I done to you to have you accuse me of being a liar? Maybe I should just call you a pedophile. :confused: