1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Country Retires

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsPimp, Jan 30, 2002.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/020129_bc_retires.html

Grizzlies General Manager Billy Knight has announced that center Bryant Reeves and the team have reached an agreement for his retirement due to chronic back pain caused by degenerative discs in his back.

Reeves, the first player ever drafted by the franchise, taken sixth overall in the 1995 NBA Draft, ends his career as the Grizzlies’ career leader with 395 games played. Through six seasons, Reeves averaged 12.5 points and 6.5 rebounds per game.

“As the first ever draft pick of the Grizzlies, this is a sad day for me. I am grateful to the entire Grizzlies organization for their support and encouragement throughout my career,” said Reeves. “Playing in the NBA allowed this small town country boy from Gans, Oklahoma to share the court with the greatest players in the game, and I have a lifetime of memories. I want to thank Mr. Heisley, Coach Lowe, my teammates, and Grizzlies fans around North America, but especially in Memphis and Vancouver.”

Reeves played briefly in two preseason games for the Grizzlies against Portland on October 9 and Miami on Oct. 18. He has not played in any regular season games this year. The team announced in December that Reeves would miss the remainder of the 2001-02 season due to chronic back pain.

Knight said “Bryant has been a tremendous player and an exceptional team member, and we will certainly miss his contributions to our organization. We really appreciate his hard work and dedication to the team throughout the years. Right now, our primary concern is Bryant’s health and his ability to enjoy a good quality of life. We wish nothing but the best for he and his wife April, and their children.”

Grizzlies Head Coach Sidney Lowe said “I know this is a tough decision for Bryant as a young man, but I understand that he is doing what is best for him - to look at the rest of his life and value the opportunity to pick up his children and play with them. As a player, he has been very good for our team. As a starter for much of the time, he provided a good presence inside, could post-up and hit the shot. It’s been a pleasure to be his coach, because Bryant has been very coachable and knowledgeable about the game. He didn’t say much. He just went out and did his job night after night.”

As a result of Reeves’ condition, the NBA awarded an injury exception to the Grizzlies. The $4.5 million exception is a cushion from the salary cap, which means the Grizzlies can sign a player or accept a package where salaries do not exceed $4.5 million. The NBA awarded a 45-day window that expires on Jan. 31 for the Grizzlies to pursue free agents or potential trades using the exception.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

dammit. . . we should have traded for him . .. he'd be off the books!!!!

Rocket River

3. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

puhahhahahhaa

4. PeteChilcuttFan

Does this mean I have to take down my life-size Big Country poster from my wall now ?

5. tuus

tuus Member

i heard somewhere, that he'll be off the books in summer 2003. so far.....

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

You could fit a life-size Big Country poster on your wall????
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. PeteChilcuttFan

Well ... it's 4 seperate pieces. :D

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Probably, but you couldn't fit that fricking long ass signature on your wall!!

:mad:

;)