1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

For this to happen, you would need a division champion pitted against a wild card opponent from their own division. Interested in seeing how many times this has happened. But even with this, there are chances you could be 1-1 against that division opponent with the wild card serving as the tie breaker. With round robin, there is zero chance of this happening and a tie breaker has already been played. It truly is a repeat matchup where the 2nd game matters more.

Last season is a perfect example. Let's say OkSt. beat BU and went into the last game of the season with an identical record as OU. The repeat/championship game matters far more and hell you could even wonder whether resting your guys would help some, especially if you were a little banged up going into the game. Obviously you don't do this if the CFP is still within reach. But let's take this season as another example, if OU drops one and OkSt. are both 9-1 going into the last game of the season with no shot at the CFP, how is the repeat matchup not more important?

Guess it depends on how much value the committee will put on a repeat CCG and how much it could further separate them from other conference champs. Yes it would've put TCU/Baylor into the CFP which would've have been great, but maybe that same game against another division champ would have done the same. If OU destroyed OkSt. for the 2nd straight week, would that have helped them? What if they struggled that 2nd week while Stanford (I believe they were #5) looked great in theirs?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What about that year Tech, OU, UT all had 1-loss?

3. Buck Turgidson

That game was stupid. Baylor stupid. TCU was the best team in the country that year, them vs. Bama would have been great.

4. Buck Turgidson

What about the year Sirr Parker wrecked Kansas State's championship dreams? What about James Brown 4th and inches against Nebraska? Colorado vs. Simms, then Major? I seem to recall OU and UT having more championships than the Brazos Boys. There's been some great games in the Big12, it's just recently that everything went to hell.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-critical-big-12-wake-texas-hiring-tom-herman

Wow. What a joke.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Agreed. Although To be fair Ken Star probably had other things on his mind at the time. UH should be compensated for the money and resources they put into that BS. I don't understand how there is hate against UT about that when it should be against OU since their president was the only reason why the expansion process was opened up but I get it.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't hate Boren for kicking open the door to the process. That is actually very much appreciated. He was simply the face of the expansion project, and as such, he got a lot of the blame once it turned sour for the candidates. I don't believe that Boren is anymore responsible for it becoming a farce than anyone else, he just so happened to be the guy in front of the microphone when it was time to start spewing bulls***.

As for UT hate, that comes with the power given to UT. If you are granted power, you end up being responsible for things. Sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly. It's the "Thanks, Obama" paradigm. I don't put any blame on UT in this scenario. I don't have evidence that they were anything but supportive of UH. I don't want a favor or a handout. I legitimately think it's in the Big 12, and UT's, best business interest to confer with UH. Hopefully all of the factors outside of UH's control will align soon to make that a reality.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good post. Ultimately, this was always going to come down to whether they could get consensus on 2 teams which I think they reasonably knew wasn't going to happen. Very possible they put on the dog and pony show to try and get a bump from the TV Partners. UT's public support of UH surprised a lot of people, genuine or not.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I really wish the Cougs would hire a coach soon. I'm sick to death of seeing and hearing Fertitta's fem voice on the radio and TV every other ****ing day. I admit he's doing good things for UH but he's huge ******* in rl (many personal stories) and the only thing he's perfect at is buying and ruining restaurants. Shut up already.

10. Buck Turgidson

I would like that post more times if I could, LonghornFan.

I find it amusing that Herman is pilloried for being a duplicitous scumbag, rightly or wrongly, but those same people have near unanimous praise for TF. Another case of the "he's an ******* but he's our *******" complex, I guess.

Yaosthirdleg and LonghornFan like this.
  11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

How big of an ******* are we talking about here?

As UH's lone sugar daddy, I basically have no choice but to support him.

I'd like to know just how much of my soul I have to sell.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes, turn this into an anti-Fertitta thread! Please! Crappy chain restaurants that suburban people think are God's gift. Cant believe the hipsters haven't hung him yet over that white tiger.

13. Buck Turgidson

Bud Adams

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

God damn it.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's the dude that owns pappasitos right ?

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I could have sworn he owned them but they're still owned by Jim and Pete Pappas.

His list of Landry's restaurants are in the link below. I swore off every single one and haven't missed a thing. I did have to go to Morton's for our Christmas party last year, and I was terribly unimpressed. I also didn't know he owned them at the time, so no bias. Oh, and our friend at Minute Maid Park, the Landry Crawford Boxes...yeah, his.

http://www.landrysinc.com/concepts/default.asp

My father used to work with him on many building projects and now that he's seeing him on TV more and more the stories flood out at what a complete ******* he is/was to everyone, including hired help who do not even work directly for him (yet still had fired). My pops turns red even talking about him. Just a douche in the absolute worst way.

17. vince

vince Member

It seems that to get to be a power house, you have to have a larger than scale gullible alumni base. Let's face it, almost everything on T.V. is driven by money. And if there is money to be made, you can bet your bottom dollar that the buzzards will be there with sleazy grins ready to collect the truck loads full of cash. UH has a large alumni base, but no where near some institutions that have been around for 150 years. Shoot UH began as a junior college in 1927. In 1934 they became a 4 year institution. It wasn't until 1938, that they had the money to start building the first building on their current campus. With classes finally being held there on September 1939. The athletics department at UH is only about 61 years old. So as you can see, there isn't old money there, at least not yet!

The criteria is simple in order to be seen as a relative worthy institution; make the NCAA millions more, and you can be in a power house conference! Oh, and that is rain or shine! The people in Houston are too sensible, if the team doesn't win, they stay away. In college towns, the fans are so devoted to the teams, they stay loyal and participant even in the worst of times; at least enough to keep the programs relative.

It sucks for UH, I enjoy seeing them win. Even though I didn't got to UH. I enjoy following the Texas team win mostly. I am a UH-D alum, "go gators :)"..... Which we'd be frowned upon all the time by the people who went to UH- Central campus, since we were strictly a commuter school!!! If UH had that attitude against UHD back then (in he 90's), I could only imagine the type of attitude schools like UT, AT&M, and OU have against UH-cougars!

All I can say is prove 'em wrong Cougars!

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I agree that it was great that he opened up the idea for it to be explored. It's his inability to process and listen to the information that they get as oppose to just saying whatever is on the top of his head regardless of anything else. I'm not the only one to draw the comparison to Donald Trump. He wasn't in line with his own regents. The issue was that the big 12 eventually got all all the info they needed and decided not to expand and then Boren heard about the ACC TV deal and then launched this expansion campaign without consulting the rest of the conference. He just got on TV right after the deal was announced. No information about the advantages and disadvantages had changed which is why the decision not to expand didn't change either. He runs this conference because he's the one to publicly threaten everybody with the idea that OU will leave. UT is out of the politics of this conference and is just buying their time until the rights end.

I firmly believe that UT would have voted for UH if they favored expansion in the first place. We also don't know who voted where. I really don't think UT would have minded expansion because they have mentally checked out of the conference anyway. Well it might be a mix of that and the fact that they have no AD to focus on any of that ****. That's not really what Perrin's responsibilities are. He's just here to mend fences.

At the end of the day, if you have a problem with that joke of a expansion process then your issue is with Boren who unilaterally decided to launch it the day after the ACC deal after the issue was seemingly settled with the rest of the conference.

LonghornFan likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Donny, I was only halfish serious about the Bud comparison, but I knew it'd get a rise out of you. Here's an oldie but goodie about ol' Tilman, and it's about the most fair and balanced (did I just say that?) account you'll find. My animosity is akin to LonghornFans, he royally f'ed over my dad and others on a couple of business dealings back in the day, and a former boss of mine more recently. Long story short, you never wanted to be a creditor or partner of his. Maybe he's changed, I dunno.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/big-fish/

One of my favorite anecdotes from that is when he was screaming at the staff at some restaurant about allegedly throwing the silverware away with the leftover food and proceeded to dump out all the trashcans on the kitchen floor. But hey, he tipped the busboys who had to clean it all up.

20. MystikArkitect

Interesting read. Fluff piece but he seems to have Trumpian tactics. Get creditors and contractors, don't pay, keep them at bay, settle for less.

LonghornFan likes this.