1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto vs Ted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 24, 2018.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I'd rate them well ahead of Rolling Stone. RS didn't even attempt to fact check in the UVA story.

2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The strange thing is....why is he even attempting this in Texas, with his platform? He'd be more likely to succeed in almost any other state.

cml750 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Politics, man.
    The 2008 Democratic primary was pretty ugly and the genesis of Obama-is-not-a-real-American, but as soon as Obama was sworn in, all was forgotten. It's the same with recent efforts to restore the public image of George W Bush, or neo-cons like Max Boot becoming Clinton supporters. Political expediency can reverse direction on discourse on a dime.

Trump coming to Texas for a Cruz rally illustrates this wonderfully. I'm curious to hear that speech.

cml750 likes this.
  4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

#1784 RocketsLegend, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Isn't this tomorrow in Toyota Center? President or not, he better not mess with my commute [grumble].

Edit: It's supposed to start at 630, so maybe it's Ok with me.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So...are there any Beto fans who actually still think he has a chance in this election?

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is a Texas Congressman, which kind of limits his ability to run for Senate in Vermont, or wherever. His part of Texas is very blue.

Now, the last thing I want to do is make conservatives paranoid and defensive, but while on the whole Texas is very red, there are some deep blue enclaves in the cities, in the south and in the far west, and the shift towards blue in Texas is happening faster than I think most people expect.

Some of the people who are smug that Texas is a lock for Republicans will eventually suffer a shock, if they live long enough.

I have no doubt Cruz wins but it wont play out like Mondale/Reagan blow out, either.

#1787 Ottomaton, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Rashmon likes this.
  8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I never thought he had a chance. I also hope Cruz gets primaried in the future because he has no interest in being our representative. He's accomplished nothing.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Beto has a chance, I don't think Polls are accurate anymore because they call old people with land lines.

DD

No Worries likes this.
  11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

If this is all part of some long term plan to run for president, he can move to another state -- I would guess you have to have lived in that state for a certain period of time -- and then begin his plans.

See: RFK and HRC running and becoming a Senator from New York, even though they lived there just a short time. (Or maybe they maintained some type of residence there, but it wasn't really where they lived.)

OTOH: Maybe this is like the Robert Redford movie, "The Candidate," where he asks his handler what the point of running is. His handler tells him: "You Lose." But in the movie, Redford -- to everyone's "surprise" -- wins, and then says at the end of the movie: "WTF do I do now."

Anyway, I think the idea of Redford's candidacy in the movie was not that he would win, but that in losing, he would become prominent enough to then do other things. So, that was perhaps the idea with Beto.

12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The trends you are mentioning are real, but as I think you suggest, it will take a while -- many years. And even then, Texas will become like Florida -- a conservative state that sometimes becomes a swing state. But I think this will take 20 years or more to happen -- if it ever happens.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's funny that those on the right are all of a suddenly confident in the polls. Maybe they're right. Maybe little has changed and cruz still wins by 8-10 points. Maybe there's going to be a bigger turnout than expected...which typically favors the Democrats. Of course he has a chance to win. I don't think today's rally does anything for cruz. It's only the base that is going to attend and their minds are made up. He's been around long enough that any undecideds by now are more likely to lean towards the unknown. They've seen cruz and is creepy, destructive ways. They've seen a guy no one wants to work with because he's so incredibly repulsive. Beto O'Rourke has been to places Democrats haven't gone historically and I think there's going to be more of a payoff than is being caught in the polls.

But ultimately it comes down to turnout. We'll just have to see. I'm sure the lines will be long today giving hope that the overall numbers will be high.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Being a fan of any politician is equally idiotic.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

LOL this was the SamFisher John Kerry hope!

CELL PHONE VOTERS! lol

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Turned on Channel 13 news Sunday at 10 because the other two major networks were still showing football and some show. Naturally the top-of-the-hour story was the early line forming of people to watch Trump's grotesque farce b.s. happening today. MAGA hats already lining up last night, the way I lined up for Journey tickets in 1983.

Had to switch the channel. No news to watch.

Should be a great performance, though. "I'm here to support Lyin' Ted. Boy, my wife is hotter than his, hunh? But let's not hold that against him. Hey, how about my Election Day victory almost two years ago. Won the Electoral College. Would have won the popular vote if 5 million caravaners hadn't shown up to illegally vote and then sell drugs and kill, amiright? Me myself and I. Me myself and I. Me myself and I. Me myself and I. Me myself and I. Me myself and I. Me myself and I. Me myself and I. Me myself and I..........."

Rashmon, Ottomaton and R0ckets03 like this.
  17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

haha. rolling stone is more honest and gets it right more often than breitbart, who ran stories saying things like that obama was born in kenya, pizzagate, satanists were working with planned parenthood to promote abortion rights, claiming loretta lynch represented the clintons during whitewater, the ACORN video scam and denials of climate change to name a few.

you said fox news is "leftist" and that breitbart is the only reliable source of news. you also said you dont pay attention to the news anymore because it is all leftist and that the only people who do follow the news are those with no lives or full-time jobs.

imo, someone who says breitbart is the only source of legit news has no legs to stand on when talking about media-bias and fact checking.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's bigger than a chance and he's already accomplished it. Win or lose he's a known name with influence and the millions of votes he gets are an agenda influencing voice.

19. biff17

biff17 Member

Of course you do because facts mean nothing you.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member