1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Did you vote for Rafael or Ted?

Eric Riley, mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I didn't vote for Ted or Beto. Can't stand the two. And to criticize Ted's name change is fair. I agree, It could also be seen as misleading. Misleading in the same way that he also moved to Texas and pretends he isn't a weird, creepy Canadian. ;)

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You missed the point

Eric Riley and quikkag like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure. After 4 (or 8) years of Trump, folks are definitely going to want something different

Nook likes this.
  5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Beto is WEAK.

Can't beat Ted Cruz in a ****ing election.

Lock him up.

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

And just the most punchable face you'll ever see.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Your point was well understood.. but not a good argument.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Exactly Cruz got 700k + more votes in comparison in that election compared to the one last night.

9. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

Do you see any actual enthusiasm for Cruz in this election? We do know that his, um, colleagues in D.C. find him revolting. John Boehner has stated that Cruz is the most miserable sonuvabitch he's ever worked with.

10. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

Beto will oppose Cornyn for the Texas senate seat in 2020.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

So you instead vote for someone with shifty morals and ethics who you supposedly “dislike” instead of the independent.

All because you want to “keep the seat red”

Like I said. Worst type of mentality.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We elected a man whose accomplishments were bankrupting every business he touched and hosting a reality television show. Let's not pretend that accomplishments matter any more.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont use Trump as the new bar. Maybe you do.

14. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I disagree. Cornyn is a much more popular senator than Cruz and aligns more closely with the Abbott wing of the Texas GOP. Cruz was a uniquely vulnerable candidate who is disliked by all of his colleagues.

I took some heat for a comment I made last night about hoping that Cruz begins to actually represent his constituents instead of using them as props for his higher ambitions. I knew when I typed that how it would be received and it wasn't directed to my liberal friends here. I typed it in the hopes that our conservative friends would realize that they are being used by this man in a very transparent and self-serving way.

Note that Cruz would not commit to serving out his full 6-year term when asked during this campaign. He has the best interests of Ted Cruz, not the state of Texas, in mind. The way he is universally loathed by his Republican colleagues in Congress inhibits his ability to work on our behalf. I would hope that he could face a strong primary challenge in six years.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. mtbrays

Supporting Member

The man is the President of the United States. Like a poorly-trained Olympic high jumper, he flopped right into the bar and dragged it down with him.

I'd like to agree with you and hope this is a temporary diversion on our national trajectory. I guess I'm too cynical about where the Trump presidency has taken us.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Tell that to the Democrats who benefited down the ballot. If you lived in any of the major cities of Texas which is where a majority of the high paying jobs in Texas are you would be in the minority as they all went to Beto.

Nook likes this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Here we go again with the nickname. You gonna ignore he's born and raised in El Paso? You gonna ignore that he's fluent in Spanish? You gonna ignore that he has represented a predominantly Latino district for years? None of that matters to Latinos according to you. They only vote for him because of his nickname. You think so little of Latinos and their intellect that you're either ignorant or racist. So which are you?

quikkag, BigM and Nook like this.
  18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Right. Due to that spending, Harris county lost the best County Judge it probably ever had to a 27 year old with 0 experience. That's a working office, not a representational one. That's going to be tough for Harris county.

19. Nook

Nook Member

You mean like Rafael Cruz going by Ted?

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Unfortunately true. His only other avenue for remaining relevant would be running against Cornyn in 2020; though that would be much more difficult a task than against the zodiac.

EDIT: However, I predict he will be one of the keynote speakers at the next Democratic Convention.

#100 Rashmon, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018