1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What makes them progressives? You don't have to be progressive to be a Democrat, you can be centrist or somewhere between the two.

I'd also comment about the Bernie part, but I don't want to derail the point about Pete and Beto being progressive(or not). I believe they are closer to centrist amongst the current Dem candidates.

For me, I think the heaviest progressive leaning candidates are Warren, Bernie, Yang and Gabbard.

biff17 likes this.
  2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How much "legislation" is needed before you and all others concerned adopt a vegan diet?

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many times will you be shown that you don't really serve a point with your Vegan diet argument before you will stop bringing it up as if it is a valid argument?

Big MAK, dobro1229 and durvasa like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

How much legislation is needed against illegal immigration before you and all others concerned go make a human wall at the border to stop people from crossing?

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. One of the several reasons Clinton lost in 2016 was the lackadaisical way Sanders “endorsed” Clinton. 4 days after Obama clinched the Democratic nomination, Hillary Clinton enthusiastically endorsed him. 4 weeks after Hillary clinched the nomination, Bernie had yet to endorse her. That’s “eating your own.”

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Probably just a new farm bill or two for states like Texas to adopt a few new land restrictions on cattle, and cut out the tax loop holes that allow just regular joe shmo retirees to have cattle just as a personal lawn mower to keep vegetation from growing on their land so they can get a tax break. That incentive needs to change first which is a legislative act that could easily be accomplished although it might lead to it being more expensive to own land when you retire down here.

I’m a “Pesco Pollo” FYI. Most of my liberal hippie friends mostly stay away from red meat as well other than the occasional fancy bbq splurge at a hipster bbq joint like franklins etc.

So you can hold back the snide remarks and go back to mocking actual Dem ideas now when you have nothing of substance to discuss other than snark.

That’s a serious answer to a not serious question but it does give me the ability to address what I know well being a Texan whose family has owned farm land a few different times and knows many that do as well have land and cattle for the same reasons I mentioned.

#507 dobro1229, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Cohete Rojo

Kids, here is why you don’t want to do drugs:

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ahh Sick Burn dude!!!

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

This is an example of how to respond when you got called out for making an extraordinarily stupid post and don't know how to get out of it.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It really depends what is meant by progressive, it can be a vague term that applies to a plethora of viewpoints within a general framework, or it can be the far left authoritarian/identitarian faction of mostly shitty people (that makes up quite a small, but massively vocal part). It helps when discussing these things that people are referring to the same thing, and if we call one of them progressive, what do we call the other?

This is kind of the thing, they're all the former, but Gabbard openly criticizes that second group, Yang mostly doesn't deal in it, Warren and Sanders pander to them but aren't really them either.

biff17 likes this.
  12. biff17

biff17 Member

I agree.

My point was the labeling of faux, for a Bernie supporter.

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Beto's candidacy is toast. He waaaaaay overplayed his hand by running for President after losing the Texas Senate election. The spotlight of a Presidential race is much brighter and it completely exposed his bizarre nature and laughable policy positions. It remains one of life's greatest mysteries as to how so many people got duped into voting for this guy in Texas!

GOOD DAY

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

2050 is probably still too ambitious, but it at least isn't the laugher of the 12 year horizon the GND proposes. So kudos to Beto for tempering expectations a little bit. And even though these things are always kind of vague (which is fine because you can get the real details until you negotiate bill language with whatever Congress you have), but I notice 2 things that are important to me.

The first thing is that he mentions "a clear price signal" for carbon. Which suggests to me he's thinking of a market-based approach (like a carbon tax) instead of some more command-economy approach. That was a thing that bothered me about GND, that it didn't seem to contemplate the market at all.

The second thing is that he doesn't mention nuclear generation. There seems to be two camps forming on decarbonization -- one that wants to just build a ton of nuclear plants and run the grid we've got, and one that wants to modernize the grid and litter it with thousands of distributed energy resources (which can include nuclear). I'm in the latter camp. And it sounds like Beto is too given the wide scope.

DFWRocket and biff17 like this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You say he overplayed his hand, but he had no other real choice unless he wanted to hold on to run against Cornyn. Professionally this was what he needed to. It's going to make him rich as well. Not to mention that he still has a (decreasing) chance at a VP slot and a job in a potential Biden administration.

16. Cohete Rojo

Spend $5 trillion on a problem that doesn’t exist: totally sane.
    Practice what you preach by going vegan: extraordinarily stupid.

17. Cohete Rojo

Pesco pollo and farm bills.

Not even close to what was being discussed.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Beto is Bobby Newport

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's pretty funny

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Cohete Rojo
    Have you ever entertained the idea that Hillary might have lost because she just was personally not a good candidate who got over confident in an election cycle in which the electorate was not happy with the status quo.