1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Smart Plan AT&T or Verizon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by agslai, Sep 18, 2014.

1. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Hey guys,

My wife and I are planning to get an IPhone 6. Currently, I pay $140 final for Unlimited Text/Min with 3GB shared with Verizon. Are there cheaper plans than $140 for a similiar usage?

Thanks.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

#2 Uprising, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Ugh, yea

Start with TMobile then ATT.

Sprint is on par with TMobile when it comes to the price, but their ****ty network is still behind everyone else..stay away

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If your employer has employee discounts check into those first. That alone might make your decision easier. If not then I'd look at what Tmobile's offering because its plans are pretty competitive

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think TM has a "4 lines / $100" plan that's unlimited talk, text and X amount of data. Not sure how much data you get though (I think 2 or 4 GB iirc)

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Sprint sucks.

I like at&t more than Verizon. Especially in downtown. For example at the Fulbright tower I have bars of service but my LTE gets a ping of about 500ms and 210kbps. Meanwhile my att LTE phone is chugging along just fine.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

8. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Wow, that's a great deal. I'm happy with AT&T right now, but it's good to see that Verizon is reacting to their competitors strategies.

9. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yep. They're running a promo to get a free gig of data with any smartphone purchase, so I asked if I could have that too and they said yes, lol.

Cut my bill from 125 a month to like 85.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I've been grandfathered into the UNLIMITED data plan with AT&T forever, and had my daughters' phones with ours... and they didn't get the unlimited data plan. We went with SPRINT for iPhone 5s's for them with SPRINT because they are the only true UNLIMITED plan for data. You won't worry about how much you're using if that's what you're looking for.

As far as AT&T is concerned... that "Next" plan is a joke. STAY AWAY FROM IT. I cannot believe people actually sign up for it.

Aside from the fact that NO ONE needs a new phone every year, or even before your current one stops working... you end up paying FULL PRICE for a phone... whereas you will only pay half, if even less in some cases, if you sign up for a two-year agreement. Even if you go with the Next plan, you're still going to be with AT&T anyway (because you'll go back to them for "a new device") next year... so why not just do the 2-year plan? You're going to be locked in.

Do the math, and you'll see that you pay a lot LESS if you do a 2-year agreement, and you're not paying every month for the device, but for the service only. :eek:

12. Scionxa

lol @ switching from a tier 1 carrier to lowest of the low.

T-Mobile has truly unlimited data too btw.

13. SwoLy-D

What's a "tier 1 carrier"? I don't understand. :(

I would LOL too if someone did it and I was aware before I did it, and I knew WTH a "tier 1 carrier" and "lowest of the low" is. :)
    Well, NOW they do.

14. Scionxa

When did you switch? They've had it for a while now

It just means really good carrier in regards to signal. I know Verizon and AT&T are the devil when it comes to ass-raping their customers, but they're easily the highest ranked carriers in terms of connectivity.

T-Mobile is a distant third but they part of the reason for recent change in the industry and they deserve props for all they've done.

15. SwoLy-D

agslai, what did you decide? :confused:

It's been already about 6 or 8 months... I forget.
    I didn't mind this second-tier thing, because it's for my daughters, who don't usually make any use of the signal, always on wifi or the Sprint unlimited. :eek:

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Tmobile is awesome except.
    1. If you ever leave a city, you get 0 reception. Driving to Dallas from Houston, I'm out of coverage for well over 1 hour. Personally, I don't care but some might.

2. Also phone selection is poor.

3. They don't support their phones long with carrier updates so you get stuck on old phone software.

But they've got great customer service, best prices and freely support unlocked phones from other carriers.

17. dragician

dragician Member

im currently with ATT and thinking of switching to Verizon. I like their 2gb + 1 gb free promo. and it's gonna save me 40$ monthly, and better service. they have better LTE coverage.

18. Scionxa

I'm currently on Verizon and AT&T but I've had T-mo in the past as recently as 2013 and this is not true. There is a difference between "0 reception" and 0 usable data service.

T-Mobile has a fairly large coverage map for voice calls, and in the event you're in a pure no reception zone (yeah, it does happen outside of the city), T-Mobile has roaming agreements in place with AT&T and other small regional carriers.

Roaming domestically is free, you can get 2g service via AT&T.

Your phone may not have had roaming enabled, or you travel to somewhere where even AT&T doesn't work.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I don't think I knew that. I turn off roaming (so I don't get charged) hence the reason I get zero bars.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Domestic roaming is free with TMobile. The only caveat is that they have ridiculous data restrictions. On the unlimited plan, I only get 50mb of data while roaming per month while on the lowest simple choice plan you only get 10mb per month. Some of the old contract plans have larger data allotments (up to 200 mb per month I think, but not many have those plans anymore)

But you still get unlimited talk and text (without extra charges) while roaming in the US.