1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Orthopedic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jumanji, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

Does anyone have a recommendation on a very good orthopedic for a back problem (sciatica)? I want the best. The kind where people travel from other states to see him.

Please don't recommend chiropractors and accupuncturists, etc. I've tried it all!

Thanks in advance.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You can always go to Dr. Nick Riviera. Sure, he may not have stuff like a medical degree, but he's the cheapest around!

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Union/2899/drnick.html">The red thing's connected to my....wristwatch!</a>

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I had a horrible back problem for years and every orthipedic surgeon I went to said I would be in a wheel chair. A combination of physical rehab and a really great massage therapist fixed me. I don't know what you have tried, but I can't imagine it has been more than me. I've had just about every form of bodywork known to man performed on me. Drop me an email if you have questions.

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Three of my vertebrae were twisted out of place in a weight lifting incident at U of H (which wasn't my fault). They are pinching the nerves that come out of the spine. I'd like some info on the same topic.

I have lived in pain since that day it got hurt. I plan to one day have surgery on it, but for the last 8 years or so I haven't had medical insurance, so surgery wasn't an option.

5. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I too have severe back problems. I injured my back playing football at Hastings.. basically one side was spasming. They gave me muscle relaxers and the symptoms went away, but that was the end of my football career.. I switched sides and joined the choir.. ;)

Anyway, 10-11 years later, I threw my back out playing basketball. The orthopedist thought that I might have injured it in h.s. and the x-rays confirmed that my hips are swiveled around and my spine is shifted around because of that. I think the weight on my pot belly doesn't help either. I've been having problems on/off for about 2 years now. Actually a year ago around this time, I started physical therapy and made a lot of progress. I didn't have any probs until a few weeks ago when I threw it out again. I've been doing chiropractic (to help w/ the immediate pain) but I think I'm getting ready to start phys. therapy again. It really sucks, but what can you do?

6. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

Its amazing how many people I talk to have bad backs that just do not get better.

My story is I got hit by a drunk driver at the corner of Buffalo and Westheimer. The little 16 year old b!tch ran a light at 60 mph and T-boned me (along with Hardwood). Busted us up pretty good.

I tried a lot of non-invasive things to improve my back but I finally gave into having surgery in 1996. Afterwards, it really took about 4 years for it to finally just feel really good - 99%. Don't get me wrong if you are considering surgery. The surgery was an immediate help. But, any really strenuous activity - golf, b-ball, jogging - would aggrevate it and I would feel it for days. Not debilitating but still painful.

In 2000, it just got better. I was able to do any activity without problems. I was working out a lot and playing league bball twice a week. Then, I was out cutting the lawn and felt a little pull. After that I have had sciatic nerve leg pain (not back) that is relentless. I am popping advil like their pez. The MRI is questionable to the cause.

Thus, I am looking for a 2nd opinion -- fast!

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Jumanji,

The pain may be in your leg but the cause of sciatica is in usually in your back, near the base of your spine, where the sciatic nerve starts.

Did the previous injury you had cause sciatica??

If not then this might be a completely new injury and maybe re-visiting a Chiro is in order, cause for me, my Chiro is sensational at fixinf my sciatica.

Smeg

8. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

Smeg,

yeah, my previous injury was L5-S1, right where the nerve passes through. The MRI did show a moderate bulge (not a full herniation) but it is unclear if it is impacting the nerve due to the scarring from the surgery. Thus, my doc is hesitant to recommend another surgery.

I have been hitting it pretty regularly at the Chiro. Great for temporary relief but it seems to be just treating the symptom since it comes right back in a few hours.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I've never met anyone who had back surgery who was ever able to return to 100% afterwards. I tried everything known to man but I just refused surgery because I knew too many people with long-term problems as the result of surgery.

10. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

Jeff,

You're right. Don't do it until last resort. I was 27 at the time and really in pain. I mean I could not do anything without it flaring up and laying me out for days.

I bounced back fast from it. After 1 week I was swimming (with my arms only). 2 1/2 weeks later I was back at work. 6 months back on the court (probably a mistake - should have given it another 3 months).

That is why I am really hesitant to do anything invasive. Also, why I am seeking the best opinions. I figured being a sports related sight, someone would have the name of a great ortho.

J