1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best NFL Player You Ever Saw

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by BobFinn*, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

This is the more appropriate smilie :(

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

Puedlfor,

off the top of my head, i believe warren had 527 passing yards that day. it was an amazing game. what was crazy about it was that i was an oilers fan that was rooting for kansas city to keep the score close!

the way i saw it, if the oilers went ahead by too much, they would start running the ball more and more. but if they were behind or barely ahead, they'd have to keep throwing the ball. moon was on fire that day!

damn i miss those days! :)

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Warren should have that record. He was taken out of that game early.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I was being existential...

5. Live

Live Member

I've always been biased towards defensive players. In no particular order:

Derrick Thomas - Just a freak, plain & simple. DT could cover & was very versatile, too bad the Chiefs only let him rush the passer.

Rod Woodson - Ever bit the cover corner & returner (in his prime) that Deion was, plus he can hit & blitz. Very under-rated.

LT - Put it this way, every team is looking for the 'next LT.' 'Nuff said.

Earl Campbell - OK, I couldn't resist. A childhood hero of mine, I still get a little misty when I see him on TV. I'll never forget those 'Earl vs. TD' (Tony Dorsett) arguments on the school bus. The 'TD' camp would always win the argument because Dorsett had a SB ring & his own shoe. :D

Bruce Smith - I actually think that Smith has always been a little under-rated. People know him as a HOF pass rusher, but Smith was good against the run as well. And there was a stretch in the '90s where he was the best defensive player in the NFL, period.

Jerry Rice - Precision, dedication, grace, fluidity, under-stated style. The best WR of all time.

Kellen Winslow - Revolutionized the game at the TE position. Was an absolute headache to match-up with, was an over-sized WR who could block. Shockey, Gonzalez, even his own son are just newer versions.

John Elway - One of the most gifted QBs ever. Ideal size, monster arm, solid running ability, Elway had it all. (I've heard that Elway could run a legit 4.6 in his prime & was just as good a baseball player. Dude was a freak.)

Ronnie Lott - The 'Derrick Brooks of the '80s', except Lott hit harder. 'Nuff said.

Anthony Munoz - Best OLmen ever. Period.

Joe Greene - The foundation for the 'Steel Curtain', the heart & soul of one of the greatest defenses of all time. Man, I used to hate him. :D ;)

Mike Webster - Put it this way, he's considered one of the best OLmen ever despite playing at the most over-looked, non-glamorous position in FB, Center. 'Nuff said.

Lance Allworth - Before my time, but just watch some films on him & you can see why he's still a legend. Smooth as butter.

#65 Live, Aug 6, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If I hadnt restrained myself to just a couple of the best i ever saw in person.

I also would have listed Woodson..even though he played for a team I hated, you just had to respect his abilities. I liked him and found myself cheering for him as long as he wasnt playing against my team. Definitely under rated..

Earl...agreed...I couldnt help but list him even though there were backs that may have been faster or more talented...noone could stop the Tyler Tank(patent pending):) in his prime.

and I should have listed Rice...or Swann or Billy Whiteshoes..I woul dhave a hard time deciding between them. They were all so fast and talented with great hands..

7. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Aren't you always supposed to be being existensial. ISn't that what it means, to exist?!?:eek:

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I know, it just saddens me.... no offense intended.