1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best NFL Player You Ever Saw

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by BobFinn*, Aug 4, 2003.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Wow, that's a tough one. Probably either Matt Stevens or Jonathan Wells. Oh wait, you said *best*. I would either say Reggie White or Randy Moss in his "prime". The best NFL player I saw last year play against the Texans was Marvin Harrison of the Colts.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think Joe Montana and Steve Young were both great QBs who benefitted from being in great systems. Although Montana did have the ability to come from behind like most of the great ones. Elway was always a great QB as well, But I hate him, so I can't say he is the greatest I ever saw. :)

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Derrick Brooks. I missed out on most of LTs career, but DB is the modern day version. There is nothing quite like a do everything linebacker. Coverage, run support, pass rush, tackling, turnovers. I would love to see a team with an LB corps of Brooks, Urlacher, and Lewis. Awesome.

4. Timing

Timing Member

John Elway and Bo Jackson

5. junglerules

junglerules Member

Derrick Brooks is the man, although he really has never been used as much of a pass rusher. He only has 7 sacks in his career, and I believe he's played like 8 years now. Anyway, I do agree that his tackling and pass coverage skills are amazing, and he was just a ball hawk last year, scoring four TD's. Insane.

I assume this thread doesn't mean you had to see a player IN PERSON, but rather on TV, at the least. With that said, I think LT has to be up there, as does Deion Sanders for the sick things he could do with the ball in his hands on special teams or defense. Both individuals changed the way offenses operated against them.

On offense, Barry Sanders was my favorite player, and most of that had to do with the unique style he brought to the position. He made defensive players just look plain stupid at times.

I don't think I saw Ronnie Lott enough growing up, and I wish I would've. I think he epitomizes toughness in an NFL player.

NO QB put fear in my eyes like John Elway did, when my favorite teams matched up with his. Well, other than Frank Reich, that is.:)

I think in this decade, you have to look at guys like Marvin Harrison, Michael Vick, Marshall Faulk, and Randy Moss on offense, as well as Ray Lewis and Urlacher on defense.

Great thread idea, by the way.

6. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Derrick Thomas, no doubt about it in my mind. I remember watching him get around 8 sacks against the Raiders a few years back. Sad that his life ended so soon.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Barry Sanders, he was simply amazing. You can hold him all game than hes gone for 60. If he hadnt retired I'm pretty sure he would be known as the greatest RB ever. Close seconds would probaly be Deion and Kurt Warner. I know Warners career dosent stack up to the greats but for those 2-3 seasons were the best I ever saw out of a QB.

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

William "The Fridge" Perry.
    It was amazing to me to see how a man so big could move and block so well...and later he came on TV to sell things...or something.
    A close second in that category goes to Tony Siragusa. HOLY CRAP That dude is BIG!:eek:

I think you have to break it down, position by position, for it to be fair. Honestly, though, I'd still have to say Montana (with Rice): that connection never seemed to get old. Had a telepathic bond or something. Crazy.

#28 tierre_brown, Aug 5, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Jim Brown.

One of the few (only?) college athletes to be an All American in two sports.

I never saw him live, but I'm so thankful my grandmother wanted to be one of the first people in my NE Ohio hometown with a televison. That TV was also my introduction to the NBA. :)

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Unfortunately I am too young to have seen Brown.

But otherwise, Barry....easily. Just amazing.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Ray Lewis on defense. Barry Sanders on offense.

12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

QB - Dan Marino

RB - Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell

FB - Larry Csonka

WR - Jerry Rice

Punter - Ray Guy

Defense - Ray Lewis, Junior Seau

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

QB - Roger Staubach
    RB - Earl Cambell, Walter Payton, E. Smith
    WR - Jerry Rice, Lynn Swann, Steve Largent

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'll stick to players I have actually gotten to see in person since I have seen many great players on TV over the years.

Earl Campbell....the man was a locomotive..I remember seeing him motor thru the famed Steel Curtain like a hot knife thru butter..Just one of the most incredible physical specimens to ever play the position..

Jim Kelly..when he weas with the Gamblers, I thought he was going to be the best QB ever! Incredibly talented, great aim and power. He did well in Buffalo, but he never really lived up to how I saw him play in Houston.

LT...how could you evern think of great defensive players and not immediately think of LT? Fast, hard hitting and just plain nasty! You could almost see the fear in the opponents eyes when they saw him coming at them...

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If I had to build a team starting with quaterback, I would not even debate taking anyone before John Elway. He has got to be the best athlete to play the position, when you include size, strength, accuracy and mobility.

Also high on my list is Steve Young, definitly the most underrated under appreciated quarterback ever, because of having the unenviable task of replacing the legend.

16. drapg

drapg Member

Warren Moon
    Barry Sanders
    Jerry Rice
    Lawrence Taylor
    Bo Jackson

and making the move fast to be added to this list:
    Terrell Owens
    Jeremy Shockey

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

You actually enjoy watching someone punt? :confused:

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Ray Guy was the best punter I have ever seen. The guy could boom kicks and was accurate as heck, and I enjoyed watching him

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Oh I forgot...

Best Touchdown dance

Billy White Shoes Johnson
    Golden Richards

Worst Touchdown dance
    Icky Woods
    Deion Sanders

20. PhiSlammaJamma

I haven't been to very many football games. But Deion Sanders was the most spectacular player I've seen when he ran one back against buffalo on a freezing cold day.