1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best NFL Player You Ever Saw

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by BobFinn*, Aug 4, 2003.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

In your opinion who is the best you ever saw? Please explain why.

Lawrence Taylor? Joe Montana? Earl Campbell? Jerry Rice? Walter Payton?

Or maybe some older players;

Jim Brown, Roger Staubach, Deacon Jones, Johnny Unitas, O. J. Simpson, Dick Butkus...

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

No Mention of Bo Jackson?

I remember this footage of him playing the Bengals, and he ripped one for 80 yards. I think it was 80 yards?

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Damn, that's a tough one....too many variables. Best one I ever saw would have to be Earl Campbell. In his prime, he was completely unstoppable.

4. BobFinn*

Bo Jackson was awesome. I'm sure moestavern will mention him.

Tony Dorsett had a 99 yard run against the Vikings on Monday Night Football. There have been some long runs in NFL history.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'd have to go with Jim Brown. Another dominator was Bob Lillly.

6. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Favre will always have a special place in the NFL section of my heart. A huge over acheiver.

One of the best things about the NFL is that on any given sunday someone can step up and make your jaw drop. Things like that don't usually happen in the NBA or MLB. It is usually the stars that win the games. But the best I ever saw was either:

Marshall Faulk
    Walter Payton
    Larry Smith

Give the O line some Love.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barry Sanders

8. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Barry Sanders, with Michael Vick a close second.

9. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Matt Stevens?

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

QB - Dan Marino - Watching Marino was like watching the "how to play QB in the NFL" for every kid. The Fake Spike play was cool.

Mike Vick - If you watched the Vikings game last year, you know this Kid is something special, something that only comes along once in a lifetime.

HB - Barry Sanders was incredible... Barry flat out made people miss, he didn't have to break tackles because no one could ever get a clean shot at him. He could easliy come back and break Emmitt's stupid record easily.

Bo Jackson was a great runner, amazing speed, speed you wouldn't believe. He had 4 runs of over 80 yards with the Raiders in his brief career. What Happened in Cincinatti was very unfortunate. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered against Buffalo the next week, but still Bo's career was cut way too short.

WR - Jerry Rice and Tim Brown are the 2 best WR's of all time in my mind. Jerry Because at age 40 I watched him catch 92 passes for over 1300 yards, and he set the NFL Record for touchdown catches in a friggin 12 game season. Not to mention he is one of the best players ever when the game really counted.

Tim Brown was so underrated in the NFL, Maybe it was his heisman trophy that made people expect him to be great. He was automatic for many years to have 1000 yards. I'll never forget in 2001 when at 36 years old he returned a Punt against KC for a TD. It was his 100th career touchdown, and he set the NFL record for oldest player ever to return a punt for a score. Then on Monday Night he made his 1000th catch. Finally he had a moment for himself. Tim didn't have the best talent throwing to him. Names Like Jeff Hostetler, Jay Schroeder, Jeff George, probably make him cringe. Taken For granted yes, but still Timmy will be remember as the greatest Raider ever for a long time.
    ...oh and Cris Carter was just an little arrogant b****. :)

Defense - LT is greatness, Deion as well. Rod Woodson certainly should be mentioned for making the pro bowl at 3 different positions. Seau of course. Reggie White.

11. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Honestly Ronnie Lott, Bruce Smith, Daryl Dawkins, Rod Woodson and the reason Rod Woodson is now a safety Barry Sanders

But my favorite of all time is the ever-underrated and under-appreciated Warren Moon.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Barry Sanders was nice.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

RB- Eric Dickerson

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm a little biased, but.....

[​IMG]

He was as fast as an F-16 and as powerful as a locomotive. Truly unstoppable. As great as he was on the field, he was an even greater person OFF the field. Greatest player I ever saw.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The best I've seen in action (sorry - can't think of just one) :

Earl Campbell
    Tony Dorsett
    Billy Sims <-- come on guys, show Billy some love!
    Barry Sanders
    Dan Marino
    Bo Jackson
    Deion Sanders
    Lawrence Taylor
    Reggie White
    Jerry Rice

... who am I missing? Hmm...

16. BobFinn*

Joe Montana getting no love on this board:eek:

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Best one I ever saw in person was Earl Campbell. I was at the Monday night game vs. Miami when he broke off the huge run in his rookie season. I will never forget it.

18. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I'm in my early 30's so I never saw Jim Brown.

But I would say LT. He ruined offensive game plans. He was all over the field. Absolutely amazing.

Others were Barry Sanders, Tony Boselli, Larry Allen, Reggie White (back in his Eagle days he was amazing), Ronnie Lott and Deion Sanders.

If I had to pick any QB it would probably be Marino. I love Montana and if it was one game or one drive I want him leading, but as far as dominting for seasons or careers I liked Dan. Favre should also be mentioned, as well as Bradshaw in the same class a s guys you want leading you.

19. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

EMMITT SMITH!!!! MY MAN!!

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

As I was scrolling down, I was thinking the same thing. If I need to win a big game, I want Super Joe heading up my team, with a close 2nd belonging to John Elway.