1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Band this Decade

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Dec 21, 2019.

1. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Damn, you should have put a link to that live stuff a long time ago. I don't know what's what, but it's really good stuff! (And I've only watched a couple minutes so far.)

I've spent the last couple hours listening to Roxanne, KXM, some Portnoy solos (nice guy), and reliving a little of Sheehan's "Eat 'Em and Smile" days.

I watched a video on how Roxanne's album was made too. They seem like cool guys and their music is definitely growing on me.

I'm to a point where I'm starting to really like KXM now as well. I'm looking forward to circling back to the Winery Dogs when the time is right.

You're a bad influence. But I appreciate it. :)

2. Buck Turgidson

Great call.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an actual band called “Best Band of this Decade” ... who has a cheesy song about their Christmas haul.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sorry I didnt post it sooner - I had just noticed the thread. I don't go in that section of the forums often.

Kotzen live in Tokyo was a fantastic show - I sat thru it beginning to end when I found it on Youtube. As I said before , he's one of my favorite musicians - and I've played for almost 50 years myself. Check out Forty Deuce - its Kotzen and some dudes from LA that I've never heard of but typical Kotzen awesomeness. Too bad there's only one album and the live stuff I've found has sub par sound / video

I ran across Roxanne while listening to some old Kings X on Spotify (Dug Pinnick) and somehow found that song go *** yourself that features Pinnick and George Lynch , then I listened to a couple more songs and was hooked .... I think someone to kill is my favorite from that album.

KXM is worth a listen if for nothing other than Ray Luzier's (Korn) drums - That guy blows me away .... and Pinnick is a fantastic bassist , often playing a 12 string bass .... George Lynch is just icing on the cake (Dokken , Lynch Mob).

Tranquilize is an instrumental bonus track on the first album (I think this is the best album) that groove ....

On the subject of "Eat 'Em and Smile" ... man did David Lee Roth have one hell of a band for that album or what ?! Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai - who I got to meet with my middle son in 2013 at a show in Dallas.

Happy to be a bad influence .... I'm just a music junkie. I've got lots more packed away in the vault.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Of Monsters and Men put out 3 pretty great albums this decade IMO.

6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I was just kidding about posting that video sooner. I did like it within seconds of hearing it though, which is extremely rare for me. To tell you the truth, in one of the earlier Winery Dogs videos you posted I thought Kotzen sounded like a Chris Cornell copycat, at least initially. But I realize now he can sing. I'm sure they're a good time to watch live. I won't forget them anytime soon.

Roxanne's "Someone to Kill" is a good one. Great lyrics. I heard a couple yesterday I really liked as well. "Thin Blue Line" is playing as I type this. (And now "Man in the Moon" -- I type too slow.) They're definitely growing on me too.

Van Halen and DLR kind of hit the sweet spot for me growing up, and I Google them often to see what they're up to. It sounds like Dave believes he's put together a good group for his Vegas and Kiss stuff. He's got a pretty good track record when it comes to recognizing talent, that's for sure.

I tried piano, guitar, and drums when I was young. Unlike you or your kids, I didn't have the chops for any of them. I was too scatter brained and undisciplined then. I had friends when I was younger that could play, and I probably withdrew a little because I wasn't "good enough." So I'm not much of a music junkie today. But it's still a big part of my personal life, and it's becoming an ever important part of my creative life, if that makes sense.

I passed over Korn for some reason back in the day, but Luzier can play. I want to check out more Kotzen and Winery Dogs now, but I'll get back to KXM in a bit.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lots of people say the same thing when first hearing Kotzen sing - Hey he sounds like Chris Cornell ...

Roxanne's Man in the moon ... Was originally performed by Vince Niel replacement in Motley Crue John Corabi years ago but was written by Jamie Brown - frontman for Roxanne. I much prefer the Roxanne version ....

I was a VanHalen fan growing up too - who wasnt back then ?! Saw them live several times .... I wasnt happy when they broke up or replaced DLR with Sammy - I loved Sammy but not in VH.
    Its rumored that both DLR and Sammy are going to tour with VH this coming summer .... If so , I really hope they come to Houston or somewhere close enough to make a road trip. Would be great to see DLR doing the old VH classics again.

Eruption .... that's why I wanted to play guitar. Eddie broke the universe with that one ... I know there were others who used tapping before him but he showed the world what could be with it ... and just look at what's happened since 1977 ....

I said I play - didnt say I play well .... LoL. My son on the other hand has more musical talent in his pinky than I ever dreamed of .... He's also confiscated all my guitars - one that dates to 1958 and several from the 70's & 80's.
    I'm thinking about taking up drums but might run into some trouble with the wife. She complains enough as it is .... I can just hear her now "Quit beating on those damn things I cant hear the TV!

Korn isnt at the top of my list tho I did see them live back in 2003ish. Just not my thing. But I really like Luzier's chops ... nothing vanilla at all.

#47 Corrosion, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    FrontRunner likes this.
  8. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Any Black Country Communion (BCC) fans? The 'supergroup' put together by Kevin Shirley made up of Joe Bonamassa, Glen Hughes, Jason Bonham and Derek Sherinian. Great classic rock type stuff and musicians at the top of their craft.

Greta Van Fleet gets a lot of publicity for sounding like Led Zeppelin. Entertaining but not the real thing.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

its florida georgia lines decade...we're all just livin' in it.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I like BCC .... Bonamassa is fantastic and Glen Hughes has been around for eons - I have an album from a 70's band he played with called Trapeze.

Sherinian is really great too - Put out some masterful stuff with Dream Theater / Sons of Apollo.

Heard Greta Van Fleet - Not real impressed with them .... yeah the vocals are semi- Led Zep but other than that I dont think they are "good musicians" , they are a gimmick IMO. Maybe its that I saw the real thing .... IDK ?

11. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I agree, it's gimmicky to me too. The singer has got Robert Plant's vibe down though. That's the entertaining part. Now if we could get a Van Halen copy, that would be great!! David Lee Roth/Jim Dandy cracks me up.