1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BENCH SPRINGER

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cebu, Oct 21, 2017.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Streaky players do streaky things, thats why you let them play through a slump. There's no notification for when a guy's slump is gonna stop, or when a hot streak is gonna start. You just have to have faith in your best players that water will find it's level.

His numbers for the postseason overall are a not terrible .250/.339/.423. Now we wait and hope it was the start of one of his molten hot stretches where everything off his bat is a missile.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Hinch's *strategy* was to have faith in his best players showing up. Because his best players are really, really, really good. And if he was going to die, it'd be their blood he spilled.

You don't start messing with the dynamic before game #175.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Springer made a case against the knee-jerk reactions. I understand being frustrated and wanting to switch things around when a guy is struggling. I know the feelings well. But sometimes it's just better to fight off those initial urges and not give in to those reactions. Springer showed why sometimes it's better to trust in players when you know of their potential and skill set.

Either way, nothing is 100%.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It worked out this time. No argument. But dont think last night changed my thinking one iota.

5. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

If you refuse to learn then all that does is reflect poorly on you.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So, every time Springer has a good game, I should change my opinion, and every time he has a bad game, I should change it back? Rubbish.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

DIdn't we go over this months ago? One good game should not change one's thinking just like a bad week shouldn't change one's thinking. Fortunately, Hinch (and most other managers) err on the side of historical perspective.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I was responding to AC, not you.

History teaches many things. Many hold up over time. Some are displaced.

9. bobrek

Right...but the message is still relevant. You and others want to change something that has worked quite successfully over the entire course of two seasons due to a bad week.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That is a total miss-interpretation of my reasoning. Ive been saying this since May, not just the last week. And my reasons, in a nutshell, is that I prefer a prototypical leadoff guy as opposed to Springer, who isnt.

If you want to try to characterize my thinking, please make a better attempt at it.

11. bobrek

I agree you've been saying this since May. I have been arguing my point since May. You prefer a prototypical leadoff man...that's great. Hinch doesn't and his strategy has been well explained and has been very successful for the past two years. I'm glad he's the manager.

12. bobrek

To further the point. Springer led all AL leadoff hitters (300+ at bats) in OBP and OPS this season and was second in 2016 (in OBP). The job of the 'prototypical' leadoff hitter is to get on base. He's pretty good at that.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He is. Not so good running the bases or stealing them though. But to further my point (here we go), his tools and traits fit neatly into a prototypical cleanup guy (anywhere in the 4-6th spot) also.

14. Hey Now!

No; you should stop focusing on small, insignificant sample sizes and, instead, rely on the much larger one that tells a much more complete story.

None of us who advocated patience were doing so randomly; we weren't perched on a flimsy limb. We've watched him for two years now be really, really, really, really good & knew him busting out was far more likely than not.

15. Hey Now!

Man..... the depth of the hole you've dug with your heels is truly staggering..... You are officially the only person on planet Earth who is nitpicking the steal total of a player that hit 34 HR and scored 112 runs.

King1 likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think your sarcasm meter is broken :)

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No, that is not what I am doing. I am further defining what I think the tools of a prototypical leadoff guy should be.

Are you feeling ok today? I mean, your misunderstanding or missing the context of most everything I am saying.

18. bobrek

But as Hey Now said....he scored 112 runs. Seems to be another important aspect of a 'prototypical' leadoff man. Here is his slash line leading off an inning:

.302/.393/.600/.993

Aside from stolen bases, what other traits does the prototypical leadoff man need that Springer lacks? If it's 'working the count' Springer was 3rd among all leadoff hitters (300+ at bats) in pitches per plate appearances and led all Astros in that stat except for Marwin.

19. Hey Now!

You're defining a prototypical lead-off guy for 1980s National League baseball. It's an antiquated approach. The days of Vince Coleman are long gone.

kaleidosky likes this.
  20. texian

texian Member

Delete your account, Borat.

Nah nah nah nah,
    nah nah nah nah...
    hey hey hey,

goodbye [​IMG]