1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beltran willing to resign with Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hottoddie, Jul 23, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

bigboy,

You just said "Scott NEEDS to test the market". And you emphasized "needs".

Thus, it would seem like your prediction earlier really had no point, other than to bash Drayton for no good reason.

And that is essentially what Bobrek, others, and myself are pointing out to you.

:)

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Gotta go... The girlfriend is getting mad.... But, I don't think you you have been part of many negotiations. If I come to you and ask you to throw out a number for your car. You will throw out a number that is premium to the market. You wouldn't say let me put it out in the greensheet during the weekend to see if you can get a higher bid would you. But, I wouldn't come to you with that proposal... Neither would Drayton!

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I give up!

4. codell

[/QUOTE]

1) Im not attacking you. Im debating you. Big difference. If I was attacking you, I would tell you how much of an ******* you are constantly being to other well respected posters

Whoops. Sorry for the attack. :cool:

2) If you would quit acting like you are so much better, and smarter, than the rest of us (and some of us, as bankruptcy lawyers (like Refman and Madmax)) and business owners (like myself), then maybe you would not get so angry when someone wants to question your theories and debate them.

Have a nice night!!!

5. codell

There you go. Making assumptions about things you know nothing about.

Exactly. So you prediction was based on economic principles, not exclusive to Drayton McLane. Thanks for proving my point.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is pure, unadulterated crap. You can throw IRR or any other finance principle out there you'd like.

All that really matters is the bottom line on the Income Statement and the Statement of Cash Flows.

Everything else is really theoretical window dressing.

7. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

is this gonna have to get moved to the D&D?

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Without getting into the semantics of the current argument over what Drayton will/will not do, I'd like to point out that there's simply no way the Astros can afford to sign Beltran if they have to pay Bagwell's contract. With them sinking $39 million into a steadily declining Bagwell, they won't be able to match a contract in the $15 million range which is what Beltran's agent Scott Boras aka "The Great Satan" will be asking.

9. codell

Hillboy,

If it came down to it, I believe that Bagwell would adjust his contract to where his salary can be deferred over longer terms. (i.e. instead of $15 MIL the next two seasons, maybe $3 MIL over the next 10 years).

I think what it boils down to is, does Drayton want to tie up $15 MIL + in one player (essentially, 20% of his payroll) and hinder the team's flexibility at the same time???

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

damn you two...get a room...;)

11. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think its just posturing by Boras (via beltran)...if the Yanks think that they will have to compete with the Astros in addition to the 2 or 3 other teams that want Carlos, then it'll obviously make his marketability get better.

Funny thing is...Carlos isn't really showing anyone that he can put a team on his back (a la Bonds, Sosa, Guerrero) and win. Granted, the other Astros haven't been holding up their end of the bargain (other than Roger). Ironically, Beltran's performance (not individual...but pushing a good team over the top type of thing) with the Astros probably lessened his value and thus could possibly make it more affordable for the Astros to keep him.

12. Refman

Any response to this guys?

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Nolan Ryan became Major League Baseball's first $1 million per season player when John McMullen signed him before the 1980 season

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Yankees have enough guys to "push them over the top".

Hell... if they get any more, they might be so far over the top, they start tumbling down again. :D

They WILL overpay for Beltran, and the chance for him to be a big star in the big city may be too much for him to pass up.

#94 Nick, Jul 27, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  15. Refman

Point taken. It is also interesting to note that it took 23 years to have another big splash free agent signing. There have been 3 in the last 2 offseasons.