1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beltran Trade Close

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by madmonkey37, Jul 28, 2004.

1. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I'll be more than happy to render my signature in the section that says the Astros will not make the playoffs. I'm not fooled by a couple of wins against the worst teams in baseball. Arizona runs out a good pitcher in Webb and the Astros get shelled.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No, the bet would be that if the Astros make the WC you'd have to change your sig to whatever I choose, and vice versa. Same for the Beltran trade.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Where did you hear that about Miller? The latest report I read was that there's no pain, and the normal course of throwing/bullpen/rehab will take about 2-3 weeks.

I'm pessimistic as well (at least till this team starts beating up on teams that are AHEAD of them in the WC race)... but the fact that this team is FINALLY hitting bad pitching is at least a good sign for Gary Gaetti's future.

Its amazing how much love this guy is now getting (see Richard Justice article). To think, we all knew that he was the key to the turn-a-round back in late May...

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

There's no way the Astros re-sign Beltran unless they go all the way. Since that's not looking too likely right now, I wouldn't mind getting a couple good prospects for him. I'm still not giving up on the Astros, though. I'd like to see them acquire a reliever before the deadline, A GOOD ONE THIS TIME (not some ass on the level of Weathers), and see them go on to the playoffs.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With AP and WM question marks thru the season's end, I would love for DMc to blow it up -- get good stuff for beltran, Kent, and (yes) Viz.

I'm a big Baggy man, but -- I hope he retires at season's close.

Then, rebuild to win NEXT season.

6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Relax guys. We're only 5 games back in the win column, with 61 games to play. We seem to have rediscovered our bats, have won 7 of our last 11 games, & 6 of our last 8 games. We're still in it.

Let's see how we do in the up coming Cincinnati & Atlanta series. Then we'll know.

7. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Aaaaa yeah, I'm starting to feel a little excitement about the Astros again. They're 5 games out of the Wild Card, not to mention only 3 back of the hated Cubs. They're definitely in it, as long as they don't go blow the team up by the 1st.

Cinci was never gonna last; every knew that. It was just a matter of how long they'd maintain +.500 ball, and it appears they're done. They don't need to be mentioned as a key series anymore. (Oh man, I really hope I don't regret saying that.) I still insist ATL isn't going to the playoffs (yes, I'm aware of their current position). So I wouldn't mention them as key either, but we need to beat both these teams. In that way, every series is key for the Astros.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

For all his talk about holding to a budget let's not forget that Drayton is a billionare, one of the richest owners in baseball. He could afford to resign Beltran without it making much of a dent in his personal fortune. I know he's a conservative guy and would rather appear to be fiscally responsible but he has also shown he will step up to make the Astros competitive.

He is also one of the most visable owners in baseball, sitting right behind home plate, on camera almost every home game. I don't think he could stand to just throw in the towell on the '04 season. I think he would feel like he personally owes it to the Astros fans to fight to the death rather than trade off the teams stars the way a lot of small market teams do.

I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns Beltran and maybe comes to an off season injury settlement with Bagwell so the actual team salary appears to be reasonable. (70 million?)

If it were me I would get Beltrans deal done before Saturday's deadline so we could have a quick plan B, but baseball trade deadline isn't really hard and fast , is it?

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

If the astros win these next couple of games Beltran won't be traded nor should he. When your still in contention its idiotic to give up. They are only 5 back with 2 months to go. Only 3 back of the Cubs. It's gonna be difficult to come back but it can be done.

I was listening to John and Lance this morning and they were talking about the whole Carlos Beltran rumors. Apparently Richard Justice seems to think Drayton and Co will make a hard push to resign Beltran at seasons it. If true then he's not going anywhere.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

610am here in Houston had some soundbites from Garner the other morning. He essentially indicated that end of August was best case scenario (I believe the Chronicle also said he was 2-3 weeks away from even considering a minor league rehab stint) and that they don't want to force Miller back if hes not ready. He gave the implication thats its very possible Miller won't be back at all this year.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

damn...I love beltran, but to me, just because you trade him doesn't mean we're out of it...he hasn't produced like everyone thought he would and technically wouldn't mean we're out of it...

But we need to get a good deal on prospects...

12. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

According to Dick Justice, Gerry Hunsicker will NOT be making the trip to Cincy. He was implying that a Beltran trade could still happen inspite of what management has been saying...

Today's game combined with Cubs, Marlins and Giants/Padres wins increases the likelyhood.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I hope they hold out for the best possible deal. I think as the trade deadline gets closer and teams can start to smell the playoffs, the bidding for Beltran will get steeper.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I was at the game today and the Astros made about 5 little league mistakes, still as pathetic as they have been, there are 60 games left and the wild card remains doable.

Let's see; Walking the first two batters, Biggio failed to score on a single to the outfield from 2nd (he did score but on the FC from Berkman), Redding can't get a bunt down in 3 tries with men on base, Everetts error wasn't bush but ut did end up costing 2 runs, Beltran ran outside of the throwing lane to allow an easy double play, didn't attempt to take out the 2nd baseman, Astros pitch to Gonzales with 1st open and 2 outs and he goes yard.
    Shesh.

15. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

3 actually....a run scored on the actual play in addition to shea's dinger...that was the diff in the game

having 2 men on in the first with no outs against a guy with a 14+ ERA...and not scoring...was a joke

on the bright side...Bags has been torching the ball....and it looks as though gaetti has him going to right with the pitch

16. Summer Song Giver

One thing's for sure this team is very good at making their fans look like total ass-tools, given that and the public outcry to break up the team I really think this could be the year they win it all. Buncha assclowns, the lot of them.