1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beltran named to NL All-Stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Sattle, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/n...&content_id=795646&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp

Beltran named to NL All-Stars
    Outfielder to replace injured Griffey
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Carlos Beltran was acquired by the Astros on June 24. (Matt Sayles/AP)

HOUSTON -- On Sunday, Houston Astros center fielder Carlos Beltran was named by All-Star National League manager Jack McKeon as a replacement for the injured Ken Griffey Jr.
    "[Manager] Jimy [Williams] told me this morning," Beltran said prior to the Astros' series finale against the Dodgers in Los Angeles. "I'm just happy to be going there. It's great. It's my first All-Star Game."

Beltran, who was traded from the Kansas City Royals to the Astros in mid-June, was voted by players to the American League All-Star team. Player voting began the same day as the trade, making it impossible to switch him to the NL ballot.

Major League Baseball announced Beltran would be considered an All-Star and was invited to participate in all All-Star activites, but he would be ineligible to play for the NL in the Midsummer Classic on July 13.

Beltran, however, was eligible to replace an injured player. McKeon selected Dodgers catcher Paul Lo Duca when All-Star first baseman Sean Casey went on the disabled list, but Beltran made the cut this time, after Griffey tore his hamstring on Saturday.

"I had a chance to be in the game, but it all depends on the manager," Beltran said. "He'll pick his players.

"Now I have a chance to be an All-Star. It's great. It's going to be fun. It's going to be great to be playing in front of those fans in Houston. I remember when I played my first game in Houston after the trade, it felt great. It was unbelieveable."

McKeon's decision to put Beltran on the team was a happy ending for the center fielder, who had expressed his disappointment after he was informed that MLB deemed him ineligible to play when the rosters were announced on July 4.

"It is a big surprise," Beltran said. "Even though I was selected to be [an AL] All-Star, I wasn't 100 percent happy. Now, I'm 100 percent happy."

Entering Sunday's game, Beltran was hitting .264 (14-for-53) with five home runs and 10 RBIs in 15 games since joining the Astros. For the Royals, Beltran batted .278 (74-for-266) with 15 homers and 51 RBIs.

"He deserves to be there," Williams said.

The Astros have four All-Star on this year's National League team: Beltran, right-hander Roger Clemens, second baseman Jeff Kent and right fielder Lance Berkman.