1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being friends when you're still in love

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jayzers_100, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

is it possible to be friends with someone when you still love them? This girl who I was head over heels for recently followed me on social media again and started chatting with me.

Backstory: we had a complicated relationship for several months back in law school. We never officially became a couple because she was devoutly religious (I'm not), she was on the rebound from a failed engagement (I was looking to settle down) etc. Plain and simple, it wasn't going to work out for us long term but I always felt strong feelings towards her.

Fast forward: we haven't talked in months and she has a serious boyfriend now. Is it even worth trying to establish a friendship? I've been healthily dating around and finding new interests; I'm worried I'll get sucked back into infatuation with her...

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Will be able to give advice once you have posted a pic of the girl.

TheMystery008, Amiga, K mf G and 5 others like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why are you asking questions you already know the answer to

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not worth it from my experience, drama will follow.

Her establishing contact again could mean she has issues with her current boyfriend and still got feelings for you, but you already stated it won't work long term. This will only get frustrating for both sides.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Doesn't work.

Either get together, or separate completely until you are over each other.

I had a girl closet love me as a friend for over a year, i've closet loved many girls, it's pointless to love someone who see's you as a friend.

Here's a song to cry to

Bäumer and Jayzers_100 like this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lmao if you have to ask you know the answer.

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yeah I guess I should move on completely. It just sucks because I've had serious relationships in the past but she's the only one who made me nervous several times I was with her...and her contacting me again brought up the same feelings of "not wanting to screw it up". Can't tell if that's a clear sign of how one should feel around "the one" or if it's unhealthy because love should bring comfort/carefree attitude

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I purchased this from ebay and it works. Just watchout for trannies

5 stars. Recommends to friends.

[​IMG]

Bäumer, Jontro and Jayzers_100 like this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Was in the exact same situation as you and she's the person that sparked by far the most weird feelings for me somehow.

Ton of ups and downs, after a while she even broke up with her boyfriend because of me. But in the end it still ended in bad fashion, like every single one of my friends told me it would.
    Sometimes people just aren't made for each other, no matter how unique their bond is and how bad you want it to work. Your friends often can tell better than you do.

No Chance and Jayzers_100 like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I disagree with people here so far. If she has done nothing to purposefully hurt you then there is no reason to not have a friendship with her.

You continue to be a good person to her and a good person in general. At that point only positives should happen. If at some point she hurts you in some way then you can make the decision that people in this thread already suggested. Perhaps at some point something could happen down the road where you both are different people and at a different point in your lives.

11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yep, all my friends knew we were bad for each other haha

Yung-T likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't see anyone here suggesting she'll hurt him or is a bad person, it's just that he seems to know they're not made for each other and can't be in a healthy long term relationship.

He can of course try to simply stay in touch, but it seems both have feelings for each other that will result in a conflict at one point, either because one will be rejected or because the relationship will turn bad. Staying simple friends with someone you have strong feelings for is extremely difficult.

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Curious about the nervousness debate; derailing my own thread a bit...but do you think it's healthy to feel nervous around someone you desire? Or should that always pass relatively quickly if it's meant to be?

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

http://www.laddertheory.com/

Haymitch and Jayzers_100 like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

what religion btw?

and prolly won't work out. but if you could post a pic of her, you might have a chance.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think it it completely varies and doesn't have to be an issue.
    Saw many relationship comments where people said they are still nervous and have butterflies even after 40 years of marriage etc. It's certainly not the norm, but sometimes you can't change it because the person is that special to you.

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Feeling a bit nervous around someone you are interested in is not a bad thing. Being completely comfortable with each other will come some time after you are in a relationship. This can be quick and it can take longer.

I agree with everybody on the OP. If you still have feelings for her, but you know it cannot be you should not be friends. Either try to be a couple of break contact otherwise you are torturing yourself. If you know you cannot be a couple (since she is religious and you are not) and you have feelings stay away. But you know the answer to this question.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's natural breh. as long as you don't get a chub whenever that nervousness kicks in.

Yung-T and Jayzers_100 like this.
  19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Standard, non-denom Christianity. I have no issues about dating a Christian girl (I live in the south so it's a given) but she was all about it. Her family owns a chapel and whatnot; my atheism was the primary deal-breaker. Oddly enough I've consistently been drawn to the more religious types. It's a curse

daywalker02, Jontro and Yung-T like this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

not a curse, it's a sign breh. you need to find god.

REEKO_HTOWN, BigShasta and Sajan like this.