1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BCS Championship Game: No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 2 Texas

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Tuan

Tuan Member

The difference is that Nebraska's front 4 was able to dominate the Texas O-line, same with Oklahoma. Alabama has a good D, but like Coach Carrol said in the post game, they are not an overpowering D; they beat you by playing sound D and not making mistakes. I have said all along that Bama had a great run stopping D, but they were not particularly impressive with putting constant pressure on the QB. I think we saw that tonight.....

Given the time Gilbert had to make passes, Colt would have read the defense a lot sooner and probably picked apart Bama's secondary.

Nobody knows what would have happened if Colt was able to play, but to say he would not do any better than a freshman qb is a stretch.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Good analysis. I think you hit the nail right on the head. I also think the running game would have opened up a little more if Colt remained in the game.

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Clutchfans following a NC game loss buy UT. Good times, heh heh, good times.

4. astros148

astros148 Member

failboat

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Let's see...

Pretty big, can throw it a mile, and won some clutch games in college...

Who?

Jamarcus Russell.

We know nothing of anyone's NFL career until it happens.

6. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

UT Alumn chiming in here.

I can't really complain too much. They made it a game. Gilbert wasn't looking so great early on, and the only thing I really griped about was him not recognizing before the snap that a blitzer (the guy that caused that last fumble) was probably going to get a free shot on him if he didn't point him out and have someone block him.

Heck of a game by Alabama, heck of an attempted comeback by Texas and their backup Freshman QB.

I don't think Alabama was letting up. They didn't really have that luxury being up 24-6 after half to just start playing super conservatively. I mean not exactly a insurmountable lead to a team that has had a reputation for being a 2nd half team. They ran the ball a lot, because well, they had pretty good success with it so far.

Oh well, at least it was interesting as it came down to it. You know Alabama was getting very concerned. Just too bad we couldn't have Colt in that game.

Congrats to Alabama, and heads should be held high for Texas fans.

1 person likes this.
  7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Nice second half by Gilbert. Wish UT could have pulled off the comeback but it just wasn't meant to be.

1 person likes this.
  8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This is true. I don't see Colt coming in and setting the league on fire but he will def be a servicealble QB in the future at some point. He's really accurate, works hard and is fairly athletic.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The only thing that scares me about Gilbert is tunnel vision. He looked a lot like Chris Simms out there last night.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That's ok...if he keeps it up, we got Colt's younger brother coming in next year.

HOOK EM !

DD

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

so.. didn't see anybody else say this... but i was a little miffed they interviewed Colt and not Gilbert (the guy who, you know, played the game) in post-game... at least do both of them... Gilbert deserved some time on camera after that.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Really?

How often do they interview the losing team's QB?

I think they only did Colt because of his stature....

DD

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The whining by Texas fans this morning is unbelievable. All the callers to the radio all sound like they haven't stopped drinking :p

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well they did interview the losing team's QB... just the wrong one.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I saw a number of reporters run up to GG only to have a Texas staffer shoo them away... I don't think Texas let GG talk so soon after such an emotional experience.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

No kidding, it's kind funny but not unexpected.

17. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

One thing that struck me in post-game interviews was what a tool McElroy is...after McCoy went out of his way to praise Alabama, McElroy goes into self-praise mode....dude needs to recognize how lucky he is to be on a stud team that one in spite of his sucktitude.

Alabama proved all year that they were #1 all year and good for them for winning. Injuries happen and it's unfortunate that we'll never know how UT would have done with McCoy.

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Not making excuses here, but what do you expect from a freshman QB that has thrown a total of 20-30 total passes throughout his first year and had to pick up on 3rd down in the first quarter of the national championship game and then play the entire game?

I think he progressed very well throughout the game, although he did try to force some things at the very end. He settled down and made some good reads and throws in the second half.

Bottom line is if Texas doesn't make that ridiculous pitch for a turnover and 6 at the end of the first half, who knows how this would have turned out.

That said kudos to Alabama for winning.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Let's see how you act when the Texans or whoever your team is gets to the Super Bowl, appears poised to dominate (or at the least play very well), and then Matt Schaub leaves with a fluke injury and you have to turn to Rex Grossman. Yeah, I'm sure you'd have no complaints and handle it well.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

If we're going to play the what if game, can we go back to the OU game?