1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBQ Snob: The Top 25 New Barbecue Joints in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Apr 22, 2019.

1. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

On this list, I have been to blood bros, Feges, and Brotherton's. I liked them all, but probably won't go to Feges often, just on account of it being in a food court in greenway plaza, so you have to pay to park normally.

Brotherton's was awesome. They had some cool sandwiches. Bloodbros was cool and has some interesting things too. Also - all of the owners of these places are great, and good people to talk to.

Deckard likes this.
  2. MystikArkitect

Feges validates your parking. It is a little hassle to get to but worth it.

Blood Bros is down the street so I go there once a week or so. Their brisket fried rice is really good and their desserts are also awesome.

Houston does Asian-Texan-Mexican fusion really really well. We were in Austin for a while and man the food there is terrible.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Does anyone else feel that despite all the really good Texas BBQ available these days, there’s way too much emphasis on removing the smoke flavor from smoked meat? So many of these places use post oak (known for its mild flavor), and then they burn the wood down to almost coals before adding them to the smoker. I like the flavor of smoke, and so much of the brisket I’ve been having lately is cooked almost perfectly (not all that easy to do), but the amount of smoke I can taste is like it was cooked in an oven.....with maybe a drop of liquid smoke. Wish I could find a place that bucks that trend.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yes

I don't know how we can even call it cooked perfectly, when it's closer to a braising flavor. It's like they are sacrificing flavor for juiciness that makes it not taste right. I'm not sure if it's just a choice of smoke, thing either. The meat tastes altogether different...and looks different, somwhat. Something has changed.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

Truth BBQ that opened where the old J. Blacks used to be is ON POINT!

Rashmon likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This is a list of new joints. Not best bbq. BTW, franklin owns loro which is 2nd on the list.

tinman likes this.
  7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i need to find a source for beef cheeks locally. i've good results with a large chuck roast, ~5 lbs, much easier to manage than a whole brisket, or even a whole chuck roll.

Deckard and tinman like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks but these are old

Sajan likes this.
  9. Roscoe Arbuckle

You & I have a different idea about what a "new BBQ restaurant" is...

10. tinman

Supporting Member

It's not my definition, it's the Texas Monthly article's:
    I actually read the article that @basso posted.
    I don't just blindly react.

Texas barbecue is flourishing. The pace at which new joints, and more specifically great new joints, are opening is staggering. I’ve spent the two years since we published our 2017 list of the Top 50 barbecue joints trying to keep up by taking frequent road trips to every corner of the state. Now, no matter where you are in Texas—even on the Llano Estacado—you’re not far from great barbecue.

There has never been a simple definition of Texas barbecue. Cooking methods, wood types, and seasonings vary across the state. And now things are getting even more complex. Motivated by the competitive barbecue scene and inspired by the foods they eat out or at home, pitmasters are enlivening their menus with ingredients and cooking styles from all over the world. New spots in the Austin area are serving brisket banh mi, barbecue gumbo, and kimchi instead of pickles. A single joint in Houston does all those and more. Even in Waco you can find a bowl of brisket ramen. Moroccan-style carrots and Armenian coffee share the stage with Tex-Mex touches like pico de gallo sausage, barbacoa, and elotes. But don’t worry. The chopped-beef sandwich isn’t going anywhere.

This is the second time we’ve done a midterm barbecue report that focuses exclusively on new barbecue joints. We launched it in 2015 because the level of activity in the Texas barbecue scene had gotten so intense that it seemed wrong to make readers wait to hear about the worthy rookies until we released our next Top 50 list, which comes out every four years. (The next one is due in 2021.)

And things have only gotten more intense lately. When I compiled my last midterm report, I easily narrowed my picks down to 25. This year, though, it was harder because there was a lot more great new barbecue to evaluate. Some of it could be found at pop-up operations. But our rules require that a place have a permanent address and regular hours. And then there are the top-tier places that have spawned second locations, such as Austin’s Micklethwait Craft Meats, which launched a satellite in Smithville, and Brenham’s Truth Barbeque, which expanded to Houston. While these places are technically new, their parent operations got plenty of accolades in our last Top 50 list. This time around, there’s so much happening in Texas barbecue that there’s no reason to repeat ourselves.

#31 tinman, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Deckard and basso like this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

The writer is from Dallas...

I'll trust me more than him.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What does Jeff have to say about BBQ?

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m waiting for your promotion as Texas Monthly ‘s bbq chief.

This dude has eaten at hundreds of bbq joints to get the job

His definition of new is something that opened recently.
    Killens is not new
    Many of us have eaten there years ago

Sajan likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

It's also funny that, until about a decade ago or less when the bbq renaissance really got going, Houston was a giant wasteland when it came to any above-average bbq.

Deckard likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Yep .
    It’s good though that it changed . I think it’s all over Texas now because of the high demand for quality

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Minnesota faints

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Killens has been around for only 6 years. That is the definition of "new."

Jackson Street has been here 4 years.
    The Pit Room is only 3 years old.
    Corkscrew is the "grandaddy" on my list opening all the way back in 2011.

Again, you and I have a vast difference of opinion as to what "new" is. I haven't been to Blood Brothers or Truth yet, though.

#39 Roscoe Arbuckle, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

Again
    This is based off the article
    But you can say it’s my opinion all you want

You still don’t know my definition

Your opinion of the article thinking it’s my opinion
    Is vastly different than the opinion that you don’t get who wrote the article

Sajan and tierre_brown like this.