1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Basketball vs. Football

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by darin1998, Jan 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. darin1998

darin1998 Member

Can someone explain to me why in basketball (mainly in NBA)many people believe that players should take a lot more blame for losing; whereas, in football coaches usually take more heat. The reason I bring this up is because I believe the issues we have on this Rockets team are systemic in nature and should fall more on Rudy than on the palyers. I don't mean to disrespect Rudy; however, I am making an observation that systemic problems are rooted in the teams' makeup, strategy, etc which are not in a players' control.

Is the reason because in basketball individual players are able to more easily take over games than in football? I would argue that individual or isolated breakdown during games are players' fault but consistent breakdowns over a season are definitely a coaches fault.

Am I wrong?

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Basketball, being 5-on-5 will automatically be a more hands-on game for the players. Also, in bball, players play both offense and defense. In football, players only play offense or defense.

Basically, you have 5 starters and 12 overall players on a basketball team. In football, you have 22 starters and 53 overall players. Obviously, individual players in basketball will have more of an impact than an individual player in football.

Also in football, the players rely on one another so much. Such as a QB needing an OL. A WR needing a good QB, who needs a good OL as well as a good RB. And so on.

Did Michael Jordan need a good center to be good? No.

3. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Are you SF in real life? ;)

Michael can do it all but Bulls won because they had a good team. Something that our talented guards will never comprehend. Sigh.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Not really... What they had was the best player of all-time, who knew and DID what it took to win.

They had some really crappy lackluster players over the years. Just look at their starting PGs and Cs.

5. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

They had Michael and four role players who knew exactly what was expected of them. They worked within the concept of a team.

Man for man, Rox have as much talent as anybody but they don't play team basketball. Going one against five will result in a loss most of the time. Not even Michael can overcome that kind of odds.

6. carayip

carayip Member

But SF is not and will never be as good as MJ, is he? He better realizes that and fast.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I never impled SF was MJ.

I brought MJ to emphasize the original question of this thread, of how/why basketball palyers can affect a game more than football players in football.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

If you took MJ out of the equation, they would maybe be .500.

9. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

You are being kind. Without MJ, Bulls would have been bottom dwellers.

Without SF, I wonder where Rox would end up.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Well, in 93-94 they won 55 games and went to the Eastern Conf Finals without MJ...

11. carayip

carayip Member

Not really. I seem to remember that they made the conference finals during the season when MJ went to play baseball.