1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Baseball] Stats and Chinese Jibberish

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by justtxyank, Apr 21, 2011.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So as many baseball fans know, there is the underlying war being waged between "old school" baseball people and "stat driven" baseball people. The war hasn't fully developed in the NBA yet because Morey is sort of the Billy Beane of the NBA; the first to get the big job and lead the charge. Needless to say, that war is being fought on message boards (this one) constantly about this team and will ultimately be fought throughout the NBA much like it is in baseball.

Anyway, with all that said, I read this awesome article on statistics today that was fascinating to me. I think anyone who is interested in advanced statistics will find it a good read, but hopefully some people who are so anti-advanced statistics will also give it a read and gain some insight. It's fairly long so I won't link the whole thing, but I will provide some excerpts:

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2011/03/chinese-jibberish.html

He goes into a good explanation of the stat FIP (which is awesome) and makes this awesome point:

And then his final few paragraphs:

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't get me started

[​IMG]

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Joe Poz is probably the best baseball writer around