1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley/S.I on Vince Carter

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TradeMan12, Mar 6, 2002.

1. TradeMan12

TradeMan12 Member

A section from this week's Sports Illustrated:

As he (Barkley) gets ready to go on (the TBS set), he catches a glimspe of (Vince) Carter passing the ball to Keon Clark instead of taking a potentially game-winning shot. "Do you believe this motherf**king pu$$y!" he hollers. He stands up and charges out of the control room. "Hey, Kenny, Kenny! You see this $hit?" "

With the launch of its $160 Shox VC shoes last Saturday, Nike is marketing Vince Carter the way it does Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. But while Cater was the top vote getter in the recent All-Star balloting, he's not in such high esteem around the league. A growing number of executives, coaches, and players privately rip him as a manufactured superstar who shirks the responsibilities of defense and team leadership. Says a Western Conference G.M., "I wouldn't choose Vince Carter for anything."

2. Houstone

Houstone Member

Are you a Magic fan, and hate the Raptors right?

3. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

You're dead on Houstone---but so is that article.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Its probably St. Jean of Golden State. He passed him up in the draft rite? Anyways....I am no Carter fan by any means, but even I realize the man is an offensive machine. I would take him on my team any day of the week. Yeah he is not that good defensively, but so what?!?!?! No one is perfect. I believe as he matures he will become more of a defensive player.

5. BTM

BTM Member

Funny how even though Carter is supposedly such a terrible defender, the Raptors are one of the best defensive teams in the league.

TradeMan12 is a spamming Magic fan on the ESPN board. He spams other boards with hate and racist messages.

Bull****, gettingbranded. You'd trade your whole damn team for Vince Carter. Quit hatin' just because you only got 2 scrubass highschool busts-in-the-making and a whining wannabe star in Jalen Rose.

It probably was Gary St.Jean. I guess he's gotta justify trading Vince Carter for Sam Bow... Antawn Jamison.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

So, why have they lost 12 in a row then??

7. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Please link to a professional writers recent opinon mirroring your own about the two kids, and one link of Jalen whining since he joined the Bulls---and I'll give you your point.

Otherwise, you're just a troll, and a fool.

8. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

i don't think i would trade one of the bulls rookie and rose for carter...would you guys?

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

no. Aside from ability, Carter puts fans in the seats.

10. R0ckets03

Some of you guys have got to be kidding. Eddie Curry/Jalen Rose or Tyson Chandler/Jalen Rose for Vince Carter would be an awesome trade for Chi-town.

Dont take it wrong branded. I dont think Curry and Chandler are going to be busts, and I do like the always underrated Rose, but every GM would make that deal in a sec.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I like Vince Carter, but if I'm Chicago, I don't know if I make that deal. Chandler's been outstanding for a high school rookie-- better than any I can remember-- and Curry has had some good games as well. Remember, the Bulls value Chandler as much or more than Elton Brand, one of the better power forwards in the game and a lock to consistently grab 20 and 10. If you feel Chandler has similar or more potential, which some do, would you trade that and Jalen Rose for Vince Carter? I have my doubts.

12. BTM

BTM Member

Chicago would trade Rose, Curry AND Chandler for Vince Carter straight up if they had the chance. No doubt in my mind. Anyone who wouldn't trade Jalen and Curry/Chandler for Vince is just plain stupid and should switch to figure skating. Jalen isn't even half of Vince Carter and never will be.

gettingbranded, you mean pro-writers like Pete Vescey or Steven A Smith? Since when does the "professional" label make your opinion more valid? Half these guys are morons like yourself!

:rolleyes:

Chandler/Rose for Carter would be the most one-sided trade in the history of the NBA.

Cat, Darius Miles and KG have both been better than Chandler. I doubt Chandler gets as good as KG because the fundamentals aren't there that were there when KG came into the league.

13. Live

Live Member

Gotta disagree, 03.

The Bulls don't need to gut their team, AGAIN, even for Mr. Carter.

And I don't think that GM is totally off the mark. Vince is a monster talent, but he's not 'The Greatest'. Vince still has some disturbing weaknesses in his game (defense, ball-handling, lack of aggressiveness, leadership) that might make certain teams pause about obtaining Vince, especially if it means moving quite a bit of talent for him, which it will.

If I were a team like Indiana or Portland, with multiple players at various positions and needing to create some spots for players, I would consider it. But then again, how many teams are in their position?

14. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I've been telling Bulls fans to expect another big trade---and that it will probably involve the Bulls draft pick.

Good grief! We don't need another rookie, but an NBA level scorer so that the Bulls can establish some momentum for the rookies to grow and learn in. You can move the pick (top 4 or 5) and if you have to: anyone one, maybe two and get another baller to help out Rose: Crawford, Curry, Eddie Robinson, Fizer (whose finally proving his worth on a night in and night out basis), Hassell...

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Carter is weak. He's got no taste for the rough and tumble of the NBA. He can dunk in a contest, but he won't go inside and get hit night after night. He prefers to stand outside and take jumpshots. He passes up shots a 'go to' player lives to take. S-O-F-T. If he had Iverson's heart he'd be a truly great player. He is a defensive liability, mainly because he doesn't have any heart. He's not a money player, he's someone who plays for money. Joe Barely Cares for the 21st century. No way Chicago would trade Rose plus for Carter.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I think you also just described our very own Steve Francis.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Do you even watch the Raptors? They are a good DEFENSIVE team, but it doesn't make Carter a good defender.

I guess Kenny Smith and Sam Cassell were great defenders, since they played on good defensive teams in the mid 90s.

:rolleyes:

I really don't know why Carter isn't a better defender. Lack of effort?

18. R0ckets03

He doesnt go inside for dunks?!?!?! I dont watch the Raptors, but by the highlites I see nightly it sure seems like he goes inside. He is dunking over seven footers every game basically. Francis is suppose to be an awesome dunker, and I have yet to see a good dunk by Francis this year.

How is he soft? If I remember correctly it was Carter who singlehandedly took the Raptors to game seven against the Sixers.

I dont think he is a "defensive liability". He might not be a good defensive player, but the offense he brings is enough to offset 99.9% of any other player in the NBA.

19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Uh, no. Basically he dunks when he has a clear path to the basket. When he doesn't he jacks up shots from the outside.

If I remember correctly that was after Oakley called Carter a punk and said flat out he wasn't leading the team. What choice did he have? He has the talent but not the heart. This season he's reverted to form: S-O-F-T.

This makes no sense. 'He's not a defensive liability because he's an offensive asset.' That's r****ded. He is definitely an offensive asset, as any 20 ppg scorer is, but he is a terrible defender.

20. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Whats funny is that on a recent trip to Chicago, A.D. said "In retrospect, Charles was good for the team. We could use him back"