1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley : Harden is the greatest offensive talent to ever play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Caprah, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can't agree. They are simply very different as players, in my opinion. Durant is superb, don't get me wrong, and I can only dream of what this team would be with him healthy and on the Rockets. We would be unstoppable. Durant, however, as others pointed out, isn't a point guard. Not only is Harden an elite one, he's a big powerful passing and scoring two, all in the same body. Durant, in my opinion, is something else altogether. Where I agree with you is that he's a pretty tough guy, who's held up better than one might expect looking at how he's built.

Nook, Patience and D-rock like this.
  2. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I don't agree with Kobe or Jordan being a better scorer than Harden.

If Harden had the same amount of FGA as those 2, he would score somewhere between 36,000 to 40,000 points in his career. Kobe had 26,200 FGA and scored 33,643 points. Jordan had 24,537 FGA and scored 32,292 points. Harden has had 13,867 FGA and scored 20,858 points.

Nook, bro2044, JumpMan and 2 others like this.
  3. amaru

amaru Member

D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Pshhh Max Kellerman knows.

#TRUTH

tinman likes this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Put some respekt on Wilt’s name.

do love Harden as offense generator tho... except for those 3 lazy passes and 2 out of control dribbles he does each game. I can live with it tho ;)

D-rock and amaru like this.
  6. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he's the best offensive player of this era in the regular season. unfortunately they don't call fouls the same way in the playoffs and let Klay and Draymond undercut him when doing his stepback.....

bro2044 and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

7 consecutive scoring titles, matched only by MJ (10 total).

50 point average one season. FIFTY POINTS by God.

amaru likes this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Harden is one of the greatest offensive players ever. When you talk about the best ever you can legitimately bring his name up and that’s compliment enough.

jch1911 and burlesk like this.
  9. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

If Harden can ever play through fouls and produce in the playoffs I'll definitely agree with the top 5 offensive talents of all time.

He's so productive because of his uncanny ability to draw fouls during layups and three pointers at a record pace. In the playoffs they weren't calling the same fouls for Durant while he was with the Thunder so he jumped ship to the GSW

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

And 25 boards!

jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

One of* but he never matches it in the post season and has his regular meltdowns. I just wish he’d sit down with mj or a sports therapist. Dude needs to get that killer mentality

ashleyem likes this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You are comparing the averages of Jordans’s entire seasons. Harden will not score as much as he is now in 4 years and his will come down. I love watching Harden play but it is Jordan. And I wanted to clarify that stat comparison.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

And Harden is still in his prime, so full account of production and accolades are still to come.

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Chuck is just baiting MJ tryin to get a phone call from him... thirsty... sad... smh...

lol

JumpMan, burlesk, amaru and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

does this make him the greatest rocket evar? above dream?

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Also his first two years were low stats etc. so his averages are still going up a lot with how insane ppg. I would assume he still has at least one more 30ppg season left.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not at all, what Wilt did was impressive, but when you take into consideration the low level of competition he faced, it's not really fair to push him over players that are many times superior to him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you put Wilt in the 90's, he's nothing more than an average center if that given the fierce competition he'd be up against at the center spot. The toughest competition he faced was a 6'9 center during his prime, put him up against Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, Ewing, Mutombo....he'd be getting pushed around and shut down on a nightly basis.

It's okay to appreciate what he did in context, but you could take Hassan Whiteside and put him in an early 60's NBA and have a guy who would average 50 points and 25 rebounds a game. It simply wasn't a talented league back then. It's that way in most sports. You could take Carl Lewis from his prime and he wouldn't even qualify for the Olympics today. It's just how it is.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL - slow your roll.

2 rings will get him in that convo.

HTown_TMac, Jontro and Roc Paint like this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The difference between Harden and Durant is that while both are elite scorers, Harden also creates for others on offense.

Which makes Harden a superior player on offense.

bro2044, Jontro, amaru and 1 other person like this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You’re not taking Into account modern training medicine coaching etc and completely discounting the individual. Give Carl Lewis and Wilt the advantages of today and they still may be the best in the world. Unless you think Lebron Hakeem and Jordan would suck in the year 2050 and there is always someone better I guess. But you are who you are and you are right about every single thought that crosses your mind And utterance here or otherwise.

amaru and D-rock like this.