1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bank ATM Fees

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Uprising, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

So I haven't used an ATM (that wasn't my bank's) in years, and I had to withdraw some cash yesterday.

Well, I knew I'd pay a fee to BoA because I was using their ATM, to take money out of my chase account.

But Chase also had a little charge for me to.....is this something banks have been doing for a while?

1 cash transaction results in:

$3 BoA fee....which I'm used to

$2.50 Chase non ATM fee. (new to me?)
    -----------
    $5.50 in over all fees for the single transaction.

#1 Uprising, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, that is normal. Pretty much every bank does that.

Banks get paid by nickle and diming you with fees. Its like richard pryor's 'Superman 3' scam writ large. Take a little bit from every transaction at a high volume transaction location and soon you have a big pile of money, and no one individual has anything to get extremely angry about.

ATM's are extremely expensive to buy, install, and maintain. If there wasnt a big revenue stream from them, people like Chase wouldnt be installing 2-3 at every branch, plus stand alone machines in every other parking lot.

#2 Ottomaton, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Uprising likes this.
  3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I normally just do cash back at the store when I use my debit. Only time I go to bank ATM is if I need a large amount of cash for a street transaction.

By street transaction, I am usually talking about buying a large amount of candy and ice creams for the neighborhood from the ice cream truck.

ima_drummer2k and Uprising like this.
  4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hmmm. Crazy, Pretty good money for them if you end up paying 2 fees just to use the atm....one from each bank. Over $5....lol.

5. Asian Sensation

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Big banks suck. For the life of me, I dont know why so many people use them. Regional, local and credit unions are usually much better on their fees.

Turbo likes this.
  7. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Whatever yo do make sure you have enough cash before walking in a strip joint. Trust me those atm fees are out of control.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I usually call the bank to get the money back. Chase is pretty good at just crediting the money back to your account.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

On a related note, why isn't there an ATM that dispenses 1's?

Sometimes I just need to buy a pack of gum or a grape soda. Don't need to be walking around with large bills (like a 20).

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was going to make my own banking thread but
    Here will do . .. .
    So my credit union does this funky thing

Let's say I have 100$ in the account
    I fill up at a pump for 50$
    That 50$ is put on hold for up to 5 days
    The Station withdraws their money on day 2
    So I buy a 2$ peice of candy or something
    I will then get hit with a 35$ insufficient funds fee
    because . . . 50$ was taken out and the other 50$ is put on hold for 3 more days
    so that means . .. as far as they are concerned . . . my account is 0 . . .so I am now in overdraft
    and they get a nice 35$ overdraft fee . . . . .

Is this not the biggest load of sh*t you ever heard
    anyone else had this issue ?

Rocket River
    Glad this is not my primary/only bank