1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

bangkok thailand

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by red, Oct 1, 2008.

1. red

red Contributing Member

i'm leaving paris france tomorrow for bangkok where i will be staying a month. any recommendations, places to see the rockets play, friends, hookups, fellow clutchfans. And no I'm not interested in 13 yo buck tooth hookers.

2. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Be sure to checkout the hookers. Seriously.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

But be careful. Lots of Trannies over there.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TgmoEHnUpjk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TgmoEHnUpjk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. red

red Contributing Member

you guys are no help.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I might have done an old post on this but my quick recommendations:

Sights - Wat Po and Royal Palace, right near each other, worth seeing. The National Museum is also ok.

Shopping - Bargains, gifts, other Antiques - CHatachuk weekend market (Sat & Sunday only) (take the Skytrain to the NOrthernmost station)
    High end antiques & gifts - River City Shopping Mall

Eating - lots of good restaurants, the best are the street stalls, there's a MASSIVE collection of them around Siam Square mall/complex off Sukhumvit (the main east west artery) , avoid the tourist trappy sit-down restaurants

Activities - Muay Thai at Rajamanadeon and Lumphini Stadiums. They feature shows on alternating nights (I think Lumpini is Tues, Fri & Sat, and Raja is Wed Thurs Sun, can't remember though). Tix are available via your hotel, approx 55$ for ringside I'm guessing.

Nightlife: For go-go bars & red light stuff - Soi COwboy, NaNa Complex, PatPong (some normal bars here too). Clubs - Off Sukhumvit Soi 11 there are a few, the popular ones when I was there were Bed Supperclub & Q-Bar (Loaded with expats and kind of a ripof).

Also do yourself a favor and visit the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and have a drink. Expensive but luxurious & part of it is historic. The Bamboo Bar there is pretty chill & has live bands

Safety - Beware - scammers are EVERYWHERE from cab drivers to people posing as tour guides. Do not EVER agree to buy jewelry in Bangkok on somebody else's recommendation

Transport - this is the biggest sticking point in BKK. Traffic is among the ABSOLUTE WORST in the Universe and can ruin your trip.

Do yourself a favor and learn to use the Skytrain(Monorail) and the Metro (subway). Also it helps to learn to use the public boats on the River (Chao Phraya - trust me it is WAY WAY better than being stuck in BKK traffic. Be careful of tuk-tuk drivers who can be scammers often as well.

Have fun. I love BKK myself.

7. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I didn't see anything about the hookers in that entire post... LAME ;)

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I didn't, but thanks for asking.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

ask for a katoey...you won't be disappointed.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

one of my favorite one hit wonders

Rocket River

11. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

The trannies alone are worth the trip.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been to Thailand but not Bangkok but from what I've heard from other's Sam's tips are good. Definately check out the street food. Street food in Thailand is an art and some of the best food I've ever had was Thai street vendors. Things you should definately try are Pad Thai and Satay and if you have a sweet tooth the Thais make a type of crepe that is incredibly rich (think chocalate, granulated sugar, condensed milk and an egg in a thin pancake). If you've got an adventurous pallette try the crickets and grubs.

13. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

i personally couldn't stand the traffic, esp on sukhumvit. we also did the boat ride with all the ppl selling things which was pretty cool. also, if you can, take a short flight to pataya or phuket to hang out at the beaches. get plenty of cheap thai massages!! they are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I like going to Thailand but I don't like Bangkok, it's too congested and the majority of stuff to do is touristy/shopping stuff.

When I am in Bangkok, i spend most of my time shopping. I usually end up with a whole new wardrobe. But don't be too cheap, I've bought overly cheap things and found them to fall apart in the washer.

Suggestions for shopping: Siam Paragon, Maboonklong (mall), and Platinum (I think that's what its called)

I used to go to RCA for night life/clubbing and I went this year and its still packed with hundreds of ppl. It's like 3 clubs in one (a hiphop, a rock/punk with a live band, and a techno room)

And I guess you can go to Choa San Road (very touristy)

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Ask for a special Thai massage...oh yeah...

btw, since you're there, why not go to Phuket...I went pre-tsunami and it was awesome...

16. red

red Contributing Member

Thanks for the helpful replies. especially Sam and Moe...

After missing my flight from Paris because I somehow lost track of what day it was and showed up 24 hours later, they still let me on an no extra charge because I turned on the charm.

All I can say is wow. the intoxicating smell of 3 parts car/motorcycle fume, 2 parts fish sauce and 1 part durian fruit is fantastic.

hit the Siam shopping area and the settled for dinner walking around the many street vendors surrounding my hotel. had some turkey testicles, chicken heart and livers, some ground meat kabob, crickets and meal worms. All in all a fantastic first day and spent less then $20 not including hotel room. gonna take a river market tour on monday.

one month of this then off to melbourne.

17. Landlord Landry

what about 13 yo hookers with good teeth?