1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

B. Pollard: bring him back? Or no?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Jan 29, 2011.

1. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

I personally love the guy. He's the leader of our crappy secondary, without him we have no vet leadership in our secondary. I heard on 610 that his 'gut feeling' is that he won't be back even though he wants to stay in Houston.. Man is Rick smiths doesn't resign him and Owen daniels. We seriously need to clean house starting with him!!

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I don't think he will be back. He was great in 2009 but this past year he didn't seem to make the same impact plays and his lack of coverage skills were exposed. Wade Phillips had a box safety in Dallas in Roy Williams and benched him so I don’t think he is fan of those type of players. I don’t think Eugene Wilson will be back either. They will probably draft a safety in the first 3 rounds and sign another veteran. Jason Allen can play a little free safety if they want to re-sign him. Troy Nolan is a playmaker but I don’t know if he is a starting caliber NFL safety. He is always around the ball when he gets the chance. In college he had like 10 INTs and 5TDs in 25 career games. This past year he had 3 INTs in limited time.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

they would be stupid to create yet another huge hole in the defense, he may not be great but they have literally nobody to replace him

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If no one better is available. . .resign him
    other wise . . . .. upgrade

We not talking Bob Sanders or Troy Palamalululagaga

Rocket River

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like his attitude as much as y'all do, and there is no doubt his big hits get the stadium pumped. But, I've heard more than one former NFL lineman allude to Pollard being a pretty big hole. Nothing more defeating as a dlineman than working your ass off, having the opposing QB launch a bomb for 40yds, then realize the safety on that side is standing right behind you. If we had some decent CB's Pollard would be icing on the cake though.

6. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

If Bernard Pollard wasn't back he'd have this to say to McNair

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZGfNNvcQ1mQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

why do texans fans like this guy so much? he cant cover ANYONE

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

do you see an upgrade available? He isnt great but he can start, what is the pointof creating ANOTHER hole?

9. foo82

foo82 Member

Depends on how we use him. Sure, bring him in for blitz/run situations, but he's an absolute liability in coverage.

10. Major

Major Member

Nor could Mr. PayMeRick, but he was a whole hell of a lot better than Kareem Jackson. You don't look at players as absolutes - you look at them in comparison to what alternatives you have.

1 person likes this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't see Pollard as the problem. If you can upgrade, you do it....but please don't replace this guy with a rookie. At least keep him for depth.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Pollard was at his best when our Pass D was competent and didn't need him in coverage as much.

The more we use him in coverage, the worse of an asset he is.

So basically, he is what he is... nothing more. He can be an asset or a liability depending on how the rest of our team plays. I'd like to have a guy who can produce in one role rather than a guy who can't produce in any.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I look at two years ago when Pollard picked a few INTs (even one for a TD IIRC) and think about this year when he annihilated Collie for the fumble.....the dude can make plays. He's not the best cover safety, but really, if the rest of our secondary wasn't so God awful his deficiencies wouldn't be so glaring. We were asking him to do a job that was supposed to be handled by the guys in front of him.

If he had CB talent, he would be a CB. Sadly that's what he had to become. He has an attitude, and a toughness, and can make a big hit/play...if the talent around him was upgraded he would give this Texans D something they need.

And...like was said, I'm not sure we can 'upgrade' if we get rid of him. (I did like what I saw from nolan at the end of the season this year though)

Sadly, I don't think this is going to happen. Pollard was unhappy about something at the end of the season (maybe he didn't want to keep Kubiak either lol) and it seems maybe there was a falling out. I guess we'll see.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Nolan and Pollard play different positions

15. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

He's not without his deficiencies, but at least he gave us a guy on the defense that did something worth cheering for every now and then.

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

They both can play strong safety. Nolan replaced Pollard the last game of the season and had his best game at strong safety.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

only bring him back because we don't have a better alternative. maybe phillips can actually work to his strengths.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

he only played there because there were no other safeties on the roster, Nolan is a FS

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Here is the deal . . . .as others have said. . . you never replace someone
    unless you have someone better [unless you the Texans and is talking CBs]

Hell . . . would you replace KAreem Jackson with a WORSE PLAYER????

If someone is available. . . . Pollard is out
    He is not untouchable

QUESTION: Is Pollard a TOP 10 Safety? Top 15? Top 20?

Rocket River

20. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Is it even possible to replace Kareen Jackson with a worse corner? Maybe Stephen Hawking?