1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Autographs: Do you seek them?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by UNMKT4, Jun 16, 2002.

1. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

When I was younger (i'm 16 now) I used to be so hungry for autographs of any nature. Whether it minor league soccer, minor league hockey, minor league baseball, minor league basketball (we have a lot of minor league teams in ABQ) I was always asking for autographs.

That all changed when I asked Chris Webber for an auto back in Octover of 2000. He practically harassed my arm and tore it off. Since then, I 've been a very calm fan and not seeking any attention towards them. I'll maybe shake there hand in an effort to make peace with them but that's it. Mike Bibby was nice though, he signed my card.

I've learned that autographs suck and noone should go after then. Stay home if you intend on asking for autographs.

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I always feel kind of stupid asking for a player's autograph. I mean if you think about it, what's so great about someone writing their name for you?

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I like getting minor league players' autographs. I know they probably wont ever be worth a dime, but they seem to really enjoy being asked for an autograph.

Also, I got Papa Roach's autograph a couple of weekends ago, that was cool.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I used to be into autographs somewhat, way back in the day.

Now I couldn't give a s#it. I don't see the value of some famous person's signature.

5. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Autographs aren't cool to me...

And yet more proof that C-Webb sucks. What a b*stard.

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I never cared for autographs, but my friend has tons of autographs, he has johnny benchs, jason larue, adam dunn, austin kearns. I think he has more not sure.

7. drapg

drapg Member

i think its something most of us pursue as children, b/c we "hero worship" athletes... but by our late teenage years we mature and see that these men and women are mere human beings with a great athletic gift. the only people that continue to seek out autographs as adults probably do so for their monetary value.

8. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I love autographs. I got Jon Hendricks and Kurt Elling's autographs last night.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

guys.. imagine how I felt asking LiL Romeo for an autograph...

someone put me out of my misery.

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Interesting tidbit: Autographs can actually lower the value of such memorabilia as old comic books as they are in a way defacing the item. At least that's what the guy I sold my Jack Kirby signed copy of Fantastic Four number one to said.

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You kidding rite? Dude that is pathetic. :(

I'm into all sorts of memorabilia.

Autographs that I have purchased:

-Rockets auto ball with Steve, Cuttino, Hakeem, Cato, Rudy, etc.
    Eddie Griffin Spx Autograph Jersey (Spectrum)
    Steve Francis - Spx Autograph Rookie PSA 9
    Ken Griffiey Autograph Bat

Autographs that I've gotten myself:
    Robert Horry - twice on a card
    David Robinson on a card
    Steve Francis on a napkin (my girlfriend and her friend got it actually)
    Marbury, David, Juwon Howard, Mario Elie, Ike Austin Autograph ball (my girlfriend got it)

I also have a Cuttino autograph poster from the Rockets.

Oh and I've also gotten a jersey signed by Steve Francis in person.

12. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Anyone else with a Jon Hendricks autograph?

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I hate giving autographs.

14. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

Actually what I said about Chris Webber was a lie. I personally don't like the guy, no offense to him, but that's just the way it goes.

He was one of the nicest person's there signing, considering he didnt look at the majority of us in the eye and was talking to three other PR ladies while signing everything.:rolleyes: He could have signed my hand and arm, (my whole body) for all he could have cared for, he didnt look at what he was signing.

Mike Bibby or as my friend calls him from the sound of his voice "KerrMet the Frog" was in a depressing mood, I wouldn't blame him playing with the Grizzlies.:rolleyes: He signed away at everyones' autograph for about 90 minutes after the game.

If I actually saw some value in autographs I would seek them like no one would be seeking them before But i can't. I play outside with my signed Kenny Thomas ball. :)

Does anyone know who Todd Feller is? my sister had an autograph of that dude.

15. drapg

drapg Member

do you mean todd fuller??? he was a lotto pick by the warriors back in 96... now plays for the magic.

16. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

I once took a seat at the counter of a diner which shall remain nameless before I noticed that the guy two seats down was Jeff Bagwell.<p>
    Asking him for an autograph, or even saying "Hey, aren't you Jeff Bagwell", didn't cross my mind. Some other guy from across the restaurant wasn't above asking, though. Bagwell complied graciously but definitely without enthusiasm. Asking a guy for an autograph while he's in the middle of his pancakes is a little tacky, IMHO.<p>

17. ClockworkOrange

I used to want autographs when I was younger. But over time after running into athletes and other celebs around and where I used to work (don't think I should mention) and talking to them I took that thought out of my mind. As nice as they are when you talk to them you can see it sometimes that they'd rather not sign, unless you're a kid of course. :)

18. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Rick Reilly wrote a really good article about this.

He told this story about Lee Trevino. He was at a bar and some woman came up to him, telling him that he was her favorite golfer, bla bla bla. She asked him for his autograph, but neither of them had anything for him to sign on, so she pulled out a 5 dollar bill and told him to sign that. He signs it, and she tells him that she will treasure it forever or something like that.

Later that night, when Trevino is closing out his tab, the bartender gives him his change...including a 5 dollar bill with his autograph on it.

19. drapg

drapg Member

now THAT is a good story! :D
    i guess she cherished that Zima more than his John Hancock!