1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Autocorrect] Is it possible to unteach your phone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RunninRaven, May 14, 2015.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

iPhone's can be baffling. As the iOS updates have come I swear the autocorrect systems have gotten steadily worse and worse. I know the software is designed to learn your typing so it picks up on words and tries to anticipate certain words or phrases you use (or at least it SEEMS that way), but sometimes it seems the dang thing will "learn" words that are misspelled and constantly try to autocorrect to them.

An example is the word "office". With the 'X' right next to the 'C' on the keyboard, I will semi-regularly type "offixe". Somewhere along the way my phone now thinks that is the word I want to type, so even if I type the word correctly it tries to change it to offixe. I type pretty fast on my phone so sometimes the autocorrect suggestion pops up and I've moved on before I even register what it is suggesting, which means it automatically puts the correction in for me. So I have to backtrack and fix.

Is there a way to tell me phone to forget about the word "offixe"? It would really help if there was a way to customize its vocabulary for the purposes of autocorrect.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you constantly use the word "office" and accidentally type the 'x' instead of the 'c', you can go to settings/keyboard and create a shortcut for the word "office. " Set it to where it finishes the word when you type 'o-f' or something like that? I do that for a lot of words or phrases that I use all the time.

Every time I type the letter 'a' it suggests "a&m" even though I've never once typed "a&m" in a text or anywhere else in my phone ever. It suggests "a&m" instead of words like "and" or "another" or "any" etc. Weird.

I know, I know....first world problems.

3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I don't know if its the same as for android, but on android, you long press your word in the word choice bar and simply remove from dictionary. Maybe the same for ios?