1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Auto-Tune crap in Songs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets1616, Jul 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Has the music industry really stooped this low? I cant believe it. These rappers want to sing in their songs, so they use a computer to sing for them. They sing the words on the same note the whole song, and then they go in with a computer and punch in what the melody is. Lil Wayne does it all the time now, even some normal bands have started using it.

This is a disgrace to music. Rappers need to rap. If they want to sing, get a damn vocal coach. This is even worse than lip singing. They don't write their songs in the first place, at least sing the damn song.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Get over it.

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

better than puff daddy singing that he did on "come with me"

I wish he would go back and use that stuff on that song.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Agreed. As a REAL musician, it makes me wanna puke.

5. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Yes, the majority of mainstream musicians want the easiest route there is. Forget actually learning and practicing the songs.

I saw a Jamie Fox performance on TV a while back and he LIP SYNCED his auto-tuned song. He didn't even use auto-tune live.

6. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

What else do you expect from the musical genius who penned "Blame It On The Alcohol"?

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well that's the problem - these rappers really don't have the voices to sing but they want to and they probably figure that the auto-tune stuff can't sound any worse than if they used their actual voices to sing, LOL.

8. dianap07

dianap07 Member

i still like the music but i dont consider them musicians/artists. just good entertainers that use music LOL

9. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/meNF7ZagM0A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/meNF7ZagM0A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i was gonna post something about this myself really soon

seems like EVERYONE is using stupid auto tunes nowadays

its catchy if used in moderation

but when EVERY song uses it just plain terrible

god i dont even bother listen to hip hop/rap station anymore

good thing I keep my naughty by nature Cd in the car at all times

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Worst thing to hit the industry since Lou Pearlman.

Not just with the way it's the most overused vocal effect in hip hop....ever, but how it's allowed pretend musicians to cheat their way through studio sessions. The list of singers that use it to fake their way through pitch is pretty disturbing.

12. Landlord Landry

fixed. and yes.

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

As long as people keep paying to hear that stuff it's going to happen...in the end, does it matter how good a person's voice is as long as someone likes what they hear?

People pay for how songs make them feel, not how 'genuine' they are...well, a lot of folks anyways...

I can see how technology trumping talent may frustrate those that have worked their whole lives to develop a skill...

14. Egghead

Egghead Member

nsfw
    <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RznEx_HDj68&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RznEx_HDj68&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

15. Landlord Landry

not true at all. the music industry chooses who gets on the air. and they choose what you think is "hot".

exhibit a: kerry hilsons 8 million dollar budget on her DEBUT album.

artists make their real cheese off touring and liscense fees(merch.) not sales.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This is what I was going to post.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Vocoder = awesome
    Auto Tune = cheating cheap way, okay when used right.

I uphold the honor of true music artistry as militant as anyone. Maybe I'm slowing down with age, but I see auto tune as a periodic to semi-long term thing. There's always be traces of it, but I dont think its gonna quite overtake music like CGI in movies.

Some people making fun of rappers using auto tune arent even rap fans to begin with. Seems like they critique use of auto tune as just another reason why rappers stain the music industry, like a "OMG NOW look at what they're doing" type thing. We've figured out that pop music doesnt always have the best interests of the listener in mind anyways. And big fame seeker types are chameleon whores to whatever gets themselves attention.

1 person likes this.
  18. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Is it Vocoder or Auto Tune that Kanye is using?

I love all his albums, but 808's and Heartbreak is up there with
    my fav albums of all time!

Not necessarily to do with the voice assistance, but its just a beautiful beautiful record.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Nice perspective. Repped.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm okay with T-pain doing it, but that's about it. It has become the expected in Hip Hop. It will eventually die out, but not because Jigga made D.O.A.