1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Auto Accident] Some idiot totaled my car yesterday

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Aceshigh7, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

At an intersection with all traffic lights out (4 way stop), some idiot cruised on through at about 45 mph and absolutely totaled my car. Damage to his P.O.S rental car was minimal (flattened tire and crushed area around headlight)

The intersection was packed with people who saw the accident, but not one of the bastards would stick around and be a witness, despite me begging more than one of them.

Rather than ask me if I was alright after he decimated my car, he got out screaming "I had a green light!" Then when I pointed out to him that all the traffic lights were dead, he said "Well, there aren't any stop signs posted." Unfortunately, the cops heard none of this.

This is B.S. I have been told that the way the police are handling these situations is to find no-one at fault. To the best of my knowledge he did not get a ticket. He and I were both combative to each other so the cops kept us away from each other and I got none of his information, however the police say all that will be in the case report which should be available in a few days.

I have called my insurance and given them the details and the police case number.

What's my recourse? I feel like this mother****er is going to get away with this. I had a paid for car that I kept running great. I do not want to be looking at carrying a car note now. My car is totalled and KBB value from insurance will only get me 3-4 thousand.

Also, yesterday I wasn't feeling hurt but today I have a headache and my neck hurts when I turn either direction. My doctor says that's to be expected and should subside in a few days.

Somebody please, help me out. I've never had to deal with a situation like this before. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Be the bigger man and offer to pay for his damages.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

In all seriousness, contact an attorney RIGHT AWAY and go get checked out by your doctor. He was supposed to treat it as a four way stop and he failed to do that.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

lol////

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Your insurance should eat the rental company's/his alive. It will be plain in the police report that he drove through the 4 way stop just based on the skid marks and how the vehicles ended up. He was driving negligently, and there's no way he can hope to cover that up or attempt to assign you blame.

Evan

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^ I agree. There would be no way he could tbone you that bad and total your car if he was just taking off from a 4 way stop. I can't believe no one stuck around. I did for a guy 1 time. The wrong party claimed to be in the right which his insurance company called me and asked if I'd come to court claiming that it was he that ran the red light and I didn't know the person in the right - I said yes - they said thank you for your time and I never heard anything more about that.

Sorry to hear about that Aces...

7. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

That sucks dude.

Codell should have some insight on this.

8. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

now u can buy that dream car u always wanted!

9. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

ugh, i don't know why there are idiots like that out there!

sorry for your loss.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Get a lawyer, file a law suit, win or settle out of court, get a nicer car.

11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

That ALMOST happened to me too. Traffic lights were down, but a stop sign was employed. As I proceeded to go (just got my foot on the gas pedal too), this lady zoomed in out of nowhere on my right and just barely stopped in time. Of course she was talking on her cell phone and I could tell from her expression that she herself knew she almost ran the intersection-b****.

12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

road rage is at an all time high

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

IMO employers should shut down until the street lights are working again. It is too effing dangerous to make long commutes. I can't wait for the cluster**** on Monday when everything is back to "normal" without the lights.

14. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Getting witnesses is key to something like this. Did you get any?

15. SeeingRocketRed

You should put in video system in your car like what cope have. End all disputes. For now, take lots of pictures of scene and damage to car, hopefully you can prove that he entered intersection incorrectly. By, the way, it shouldn't matter that the "cops are assigning all these accidents as no-fault", each person still has a duty to use reasonable care and caution, and if he is in violation of that, he will have to pay. Talk to a lawyer ASAP and go to a doctor to get proof of medical problems. Then sue. It will take a while though.

16. SeeingRocketRed

I meant to say "like what cops have". Where did my "edit post" function go?

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

you'd own his ass in civil litigation. The po-po won't really help out, they are lazy... i mean busy with other stuff.

btw, at least in the AZ, most injury attorney's won't collect until after they win your case, so if money's tight go to one of those lawyers. True, they take like 30% of your winnings, but what can you do?

18. ThreePointShot

Not a contributing member.

19. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

You are correct...

[​IMG]

and delicious.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i had a guy back in to me when i was stopped behind him in an apt complex in brenham a long time ago. it was a couple of blinn students. it was there fault and they got out of the car and started yelling at me and getting in my face.

well we started fighting and they were both bigger then me and i was about to probably get it pretty bad. but 3 of my friends that i was going to see heard this chick yelling and jumped in and it was fun after that.

ive never caused an accident to where i hurt someone elses car, but i cant imagine trying to lay the blame on someone else. i would already feel bad enough messing up there property. stupid stupid people.

sorry for your loss :mad: