1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Austin Jumps the Shark] Emo's Austin Closing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hippieloser, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The end of an era? Or merely the end of the end of an era?

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/44160-emos-austin-closing/

Emo's Austin Closing
    Beloved venue shutting down in December

Billboard reports that famed Austin venue Emo's is closing after nearly 20 years of operation. Owner Frank Hendrix told Billboard that the reason for shuttering had to do with local competition: "We were going the way of CBGB's. When Moody Theatre moved downtown, it raised the bar for everybody." There are several shows planned in December to give the venue a proper sendoff, with the final show taking place on December 24.

Haven't been back (or looked back) in a long time, but this place WAS Austin, as far as I was concerned. Sad day; didn't see a thread about it.

Share your favorite Emo's memories here. I was slapped in the face by a woman for the first (hopefully only) time here.

Luckily, I hear Austin will keep Emo's alive in spirit with the all-new, 2-day Red Bull Emo's Fest Sponsored by Budweiser. Pre-sale wristbands available now at Fiesta. Keep it weird, y'all.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yes, cause nothing carries on the free, rebellious, eclectic, anti-corporate spirit of Emo's and Austin like the Red Bull™ Emo Fest Presented by Budweiser™

1 person likes this.
  3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Only been there once to see Lupe Fiasco. It was January, and mid 30's, but people near the stage were all sweaty because of all the bright lights and heat lamps. Meanwhile, I was about 40 feet away from the stage and kept swaying back and forth to keep some body heat going because it was so darn cold. After the concert, my legs felt like they were locked in place from standing in the same spot for 3 hours. The walk back to the car was awkward, yet memorable.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Only went to the Austin Emo's a couple of times. Now the Emo's in Montrose before it moved to Austin, that's another story! I practically lived there for about two years.

Ah...Emo's

Killed a lot of brain cells at that bar. Anybody remember dollar beer night on Wednesdays? Or the "Do not go Gentle" gates?

#4 mc mark, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Emo's Riverside will still live on though! Emo's Red River is done. From what I heard, the owner Hendrix sold the property at a profit. I don't think the closure of Emo's was due to the poor economics of the Emo's business, but rather a smart business decision.

That being I wasn't too fond of Emo's Red River as a venue. I could name at least 5 venues in Austin better than Emo's for a live music experience.

6. Hippieloser

:p Just funnin' ya (as opposed to fun, fun, funnin' ya)

The article states that like three new clubs are taking its place, but... it ain't gonna be the same.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Never was a fan of the Austin Emo's, but I think I have a lot of memories from the Emo's off Montrose. If it weren't for all of the acid I could probably remember many, MANY wild nights. I still see people from way back and they're all "REMEMBER WHEN WE DID ________ AT ______? That was SICK!"

Of course, I don't remember. I was high.

8. Hippieloser

How long has it been since the Houston Emo's was euthanized? Where was it, exactly?

9. mc mark

I believe the Austin Emo's open around 1992 and closed the Houston Emo's around 1991. 1989-91 were magical years. Saw many, many bands there before they hit big; Mudhoney, Nirvana.

if I remember correctly it was on Albany Street just north of Westheimer.

1 person likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Haven't been there in years but it was fun back in the day.

DD

11. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Saw the Silver Jews there a few years back. Good times.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Houston Emo's was open much longer than 1991. I went there in the mid-90's to see many acts (Los Skanarles, Planet Shock/Aftershock, etc.)

Went to my first SXSW shows at Emo's in 1995. Think I saw a band called 16 Deluxe there. Been back many times since I've lived here. Mostly to see Delta Spirit 4 or 5 times. Great venue when it's below 90 degrees. That outside portion got f***ing hot when it's crowded. Not the best place to see a show but the crowds were always cool and beer prices were reasonable. It will be missed in downtown.

1 person likes this.
  13. mc mark

I stand corrected. It closed in 2001. WOW, it has been a few years since I was around the Montrose area.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Was Emo's in Houston and Club Some (or sum?) the same place?

15. Bigpetelikeiron

Man! At The Drive In twice, Murder City Devils twice, Jets to Brazil, Promise ring, Nada Surf...those are the most memorable. Too bad. So many good times at that place.

16. mc mark

I believe so

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Emo's in Houston died in 2002 If I remember correctly. I used to love that place..all types of people, and rarely any trouble.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I had many good times at both places, but especially Emos in Austin since I was there like twice a week in the 90's. No surprise it's closing with the big new club opening up.

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

They were in the same building, right next to each other, but with different entrances, and Some was an after-hours club, so it didn't get busy until after Emos closed for the night. 2 different crowds as well.

20. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Just saw Death From Above 1979 there during ACL weekend. Can't even count the number of awesome shows I've seen there.

Oh well, they can't stop the musics.