1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Austin/Houston musical recommendation for 10/26-27

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swopa, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

The Delphines, opening for Alejandro Escovedo

Continental Club, Houston
    10 pm, Friday, October 26

Continental Club, Austin
    10 pm, Saturday, October 27

If I told you the Delphines were an all-female blues-rock trio that combines lean, growling Texas-style guitar (ZZ Top, etc.) with a sharp sense of pop hooks/choruses and vocal harmonies, you might be a bit skeptical.

If I added that the lead guitarist was Kathy Valentine, best known as the musically-unspectacular bass player for the Go-Go's, and she was good, you'd swear this was some prank by a crazed Golden State Warriors fan. ;)

But I'm not kidding. They're great, and if you go check them out you'll see. I saw them a couple months ago in San Francisco, and they kicked ass. So does their album, which I bought at the show. (For whatever it's worth, they have a website, too, which I think is maintained by KV herself.)

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

That actually sounds pretty cool.

And I usually catch Alejandro Escovedo at Mucky Duck, and I've been planning to go to Houston's Continental...I just haven't made it yet.

Sounds like a good time. thanks for the head's up.

3. Swopa

You're welcome. Be sure to ask for "Kopperhed" if they don't play it.

" . . . The red-headed driver likes lo-fi better . . . "

4. Swopa

Just bumping this to the top, 'cause I know the BBS Hangout is the first place Austin/Houstonites check when planning their weekends . . . :D