1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ausar and Amen Thompson

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by palmsnbananas, Jul 16, 2022.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ben Simmons kinda sucked in the playoffs. He played great defense but was basically an empty stat all star.

Just think about it logically your opponent has 3 non shooters on the court you have the center, PF and PG being paint exclusive guys. So what do you do? Oh yeah you go box and 1 and counter their entire offensive game plan.

So what if Simmons is an athlete? Can he drive in the paint when like 7 guys already in there? So what if he is an amazing passer? Opponents ignore him and dare him to shoot. Why you think Embiid Simmons never got past 2nd round?

Reality is we have seen lots of big guards who cant shoot in the NBA. They arent all world athletes like Twins, but majority are still athletic. For example Lonzo Ball, Suggs, Giddey, Dalen Terry, Dyson Daniels, MKG, Justise Winslow etc

From what I've seen their worth has been predicated on their shooting. Like Giddey is seen as a budding young prospect but oart of that is his improving 3 pt shot. If his shot stayed in the 20s people wouldnt be hyped for him despite his playmaking and defense.

Thats why if you ask me between the 2 I go Ausar, cuz Ausar has a history of improving his shot he went from F to C- thats a lot better than Amen who went from F to F.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

We actually have a pretty good situation to go with a non-shooting point guard, assuming Green develops into a better shooter, since Jabari will probably be able to light it up from 3 at a level rarely seen from a big man, and Sengun might be able to shoot it a little bit too in the future. We would either need KJ/Tari to develop into a better shooter, or find a 3-and-D wing to take starting minutes at the position. Then I think you can get away with a non-shooting point guard archetype just fine. Especially an oversized ultra-athletic guy like Amen who is a major threat as a cutter from the perimeter.

3. TheBeastSystem

if your big man is your primary playmaker your point guard needs to be able to shoot it

ReverseBjorn likes this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sengun is amazing at hitting cutters with creative passes. We would see some crazy sh** with him passing to a cutting Amen

lionaire likes this.
  5. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

While Simmons has a lot of great tools and skills, he's mentally complacent and shows zero desire to improve his weaknesses. There were signs of this behavior at LSU and he still went #1.
    The Twins are quite the opposite. Does that guarantee tangible improvement? No. But its the most important step.

I'm not gonna be dismissive and say shooting is not important, but you can gameplan around it. And I can totally see Ausar becoming the better player, but I'm gonna push back on Amen not showing any improvement. Statistically his percentages stayed about the same, but compare his mechanics now vs last year and you'll see its trending in the right direction. He's no longer passing up wide open looks all the time, and he's actually drawing contests from defenders.

OremLK likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Their wives gonna have a problem.

7. i3artow i3aller

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

High school 3 point line is 19' 9"
    WNBA, NCAA and FIBA 3-point line are 22' 1.75"
    NBA 3-point line is 23' 9"

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

They did play with the NBA three point line in OTE, just fyi

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yup. And it showed. :D

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

lol, yeah. But to be fair, they both did show improvement at the end of the season. Amen shot 30% in the playoffs, still bad, but a noticeable improvement over his regular season stats. Ausar shot 38.5%. I think the jury is still out on Amen ever being a decent shooter, but Ausar I feel pretty confident will figure it out based on the improvements he showed.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't necessarily consider going from regular season to playoff stats necessarily being an improvement or decline, but maybe they'll improve. If you look at both of their stats, they have similar issues to Jalen Green where they completely fall apart from the 3 point line, except they're probably even worse. And by that I mean, you'll see 0-5, 0-6, 0-? numbers for them. Then they may get a 1-1, 2-3, etc. For example, even for Ausar, in the playoffs he started the playoffs 0-5, then 5-10, but then went back to 3-10, etc. They're just wildly inconsistent, and to me, that just means they're not that great from 3.

What was also weird about Ausar was that, for a guy who couldn't hit 3's in the regular season, he was jacking them in their playoffs. He was shooting twice as many as in the regular season from what I recall. No idea what happened there.

I still think it's both of their kryptonite for now, but maybe they'll get better.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I saw Jason Kidd who couldn't shoot for **** turn into a 40% 3 point shooter for the Mavs.

Just gotta put the work in.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ausar I'm confident has been putting work. Amen not so much.

That's why personally I rank Ausar over Amen. I think lots of posters here forget they are 20 already, if Amen still has horrible shot by now I think he will have a hard time learning to shoot.

15. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

Got a chance to hear Rafael Stone in a special event for STH. He was asked about this year's upcoming draft class and was VERY high on the Thompson twins. Said that Amen especially would be a #1 pick in several drafts and was more athletic and bigger than Jalen. Gird your loins.

RC Cola and Corrosion like this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I wasn't sure about people saying how athletic he was because we hear it every year, but if their OTE numbers are legit, they are freaks. Although they both had "mundane" verticals by today's standards. The rest of their numbers were more like "no way". The sad thing is, I doubt they'll do anything at the combine other than show up, so we may never know.

Yeah, I'm not sure either one is all that much better than the other, and I've been wondering that for months. They both work their asses off and come off as fairly intelligent with their heads screwed on correctly. I do think Amen is the better overall player, but not by that much. And I don't think Ausar is necessarily a better shooter because I think both of them stink right now. If you look at their numbers from 3, you can see them have ok games and horrific games shooting from 3, and in a 15-game or so season, you'll see percentages like that swing all over the place.

I wish I would've watched their games because when they were still in their teens, it was always said Ausar was the defender and Amen was the distributor/scorer in terms of talent. If you just looked at stats and only looked at their OTE stats, you'd think Ausar was the better talent, or at worst, they're basically even. Amen seems to be the slightly better athlete.

I'd honestly be ok with either one of them. I'm more intrigued by these 2 and how they turn out than Wemby and Scoot. Well, to an extent.

glenadyll and i3artow i3aller like this.
  18. VoR

VoR Member

If we aren't top 2 I can see the value in trading down to get both of them. They can play positionless. This would mean KMJ is bye bye, though.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They could go 3 and 4 or 5. Depending upon where Brandon Miller goes.

There is no "trade down" to get both of them, you'd have to take one and trade up for the other.

20. i3artow i3aller