1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

August 31 Trade Deadline/Waived Players Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jul 31, 2017.

1. SemisolidSnake

I really never have a good handle on all the details and machinations of various deals that can happen in all the different sports. In fact, if I do want to understand that stuff, Clutchfans is the best damn resource; there are a lot of very tuned-in fans here that understand all of that. It's one of the things I like about this place.

All I can really offer is my gut feel, which is that this team is going to get progressively more pissed as it sees the bullpen continue to perform the way it has since the All Star Break. Putting up 7-18 runs a game is fun, and it's even better and more likely when you've got Springer and Correa back, but the hitters shouldn't feel like they HAVE to put up that inflated number of runs every game as insurance for the bullpen. The starters shouldn't have to feel like they HAVE to pitch lights-out or one-run ball just to get that win. Pressure doesn't always make people perform better, especially if it's unnecessary, frustrating pressure.

We've seen what happened since the trade deadline. Giles is your only reliable reliever, and even he's not bulletproof. Devenski's straight-up comprised now that people know how he pitches. All the others are unknowns when they pop in the game. Long term, if this season falls apart because of the bullpen (I'm assuming Keuchel and hopefully McCullers will return to form as starters), it's going to sow all sorts of seeds of doubt through the team, and who knows when you'll find this sort of chemistry again? The front office needs to do something while they still have options, even if it's financially unsavory.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Isn't he only making $2 million/year? And that's for somebody who isn't an MLB player.

He has no trade value period... unless this was the NBA where you have to match salary and expiring contracts matter more.

If Detroit is in that generous of a mood... I'm surprised they didn't make a deal when the 40 man roster was in play.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Aside from maybe having Brock Osweiler as your starting QB, there is nothing more demoralizing to a team in sports than an unreliable bullpen.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm not as ready to throw the bullpen under the bus as everybody else here.

First of all, Harris will be back at some point. Secondly, Devenski is not as bad as he's been these last few weeks... even if he's not as good as he was to start the year. Thirdly, they will get one of Morton or Peacock for the playoffs. Fourthly, between Liriano/Feliz/Gregerson I expect at least one of those guys to provide a semblance of quality outings that the other bigger names can't fulfill. And Giles being as good as he's ever been (as an Astros) is a very good thing... something that most fans weren't willing to concede as a possibility for this season.

kaleidosky likes this.
  5. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

You forgot Musgrove and Martes, who have had some nice outings from the pen. If two of Harris/Devo/Feliz/Gregerson can maintain quality outings down the stretch, we should be alright.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree. And you didn't mention Martes. who I think he's a potential difference maker in a multi-inning role this year.

Devo and Harris have been below average / hurt lately. If they're on their game -- especially with Devo's ability to eat innings -- it's the difference between a mediocre and an elite bullpen.

I like keeping Musgrove back there this year -- he's going to help eat some innings while those other guys get right.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I intentionally left out Martes/Musgrove. Right now, their future still points towards being starters... but if either of them wants to become a really reliable/dependable bullpen pitcher over the next 2 months, I'm sure the club will gladly thrust them into that role on a more regular basis.

Feliz was once a starter too... but apparently that window is no longer possibly open.

8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I don't find it a coincidence that our bullpen took a dive around the same time Harris went down with an injury. He starts a throwing program today from what I read, so I hope he isn't too far away. I feel like the bullpen, as a unit, was getting comfortable in their roles, and then the Harris injury happened. I view Harris as a very important part of this bullpen, and a guy that kind of stabilizes the rest of the bullpen. He doesn't throw 100, and I'm not exactly sure why, but maybe it's his grind-it-out, no frills, just go in and get the job done attitude that gives the rest of the bullpen more comfort. Even if it is just a mental thing. I don't know, maybe I am reading way too much into his importance. but he is one of those quite guys that I would never mess with.

Also, I just need to say that Martes has an electric arm. I am not sure if that means he will continue to develop and reach his ceiling (there are plenty of electric arms that don't pan out), but it's at least exciting to see.

So I am with Nick. I would have loved to add Britton to the bullpen, and I really hope that Devenski re-adjusts to the league's adjustments. But if Harris comes back healthy and finished the season/playoffs strong, I am at least hopeful with regards to our bullpen.

Nook and kaleidosky like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros potentially have some high impact arms in the pen come the playoffs.

Morton and Peacock could wind up in the pen if McHugh takes control of the #3 spot in the rotation. Peacock can hit 95-96 in the pen with plus stuff, Morton likely sits 99-100 out of the pen and is a ground ball monster. Both of them have a really high ceiling out of the pen. Martes needs better consistency but he sits 97-99 out of the pen with two plus pitches. Giles has been very good down the stretch and sits 97-99 with a really nasty slider.

Devo has been dominant in the past and Harris has been effective. Potentially the Astros can throw some very high end arms in a playoff series bullpen. The problem is that we don't know where Peacock will be, Morton hasn't been in the pen and Martes is up and down.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep. A bullpen of Morton, Peacock, Martes, Devenski, Harris, and Giles, with Liriano and Gregerson (or Musgrove/Sipp/Feliz/etc.) in reserve, is a fine bullpen. Adding Harris, Peacock, and Morton will be huge. 4 guys throwing 97+ plus the best changeup in baseball.

#110 Snake Diggit, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Agree. I'd even explore putting Devo on the 10 day DL when Harris gets back. I think he just needs a good 10 day break...perhaps he "stubbs a toe" or something when Harris returns.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Morton out of the pen is the most iffy one for me -- the guy seems to have a fragile arm, and so I'm not sure the uncertainty of a bullpen pitching schedule would do well for him. He's also looked really good in the rotation lately. I think he's the #4 starter, if you need one.

I don't trust Fiers out of the bullpen -- I wonder if he gets left off the playoff roster altogether? He's done a great job holding the rotation together, but giving up HRs to the likes of Aoki does not inspire confidence. If you have Martes, Devenski, and Peacock in the pen, that's 3 guys who can give you multi innings. That leaves interesting decisions for Fiers/Musgrove/Feliz vs. an extra pinch runner, for example.

When you put it together, I'd go to battle with a healthy Keuchel-McCullers-McHugh, and that crew in the pen. I just don't know how to think about that "healthy" qualifier.

Nook and jim1961 like this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Fiers, I've not wanted to say that there was a chance he would be left off the playoff roster. He's fighting for the 4th starter role in my opinion. I don't see him in the pen if he doesn't win 4th spot. On Morton, if he's in the pen, he probably pitches 3-4 innings and probably will be used like a starter (i.e. he's scheduled to pitch on a certain day) except coming in later in the game. I see the same if Peacock is in the pen.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think Fiers offers much in a bullpen role if he's not a starter... and if he is a playoff starter, that would indicate a ton of injuries.

So yeah... it will probably be a 2015-like situation for him again.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Just... FYI - the bullpen's ERA, in August, is 1.45.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; he's been REALLY good his past six starts: 39 IP; 2.31 ERA (3.61 FIP); 44 K; 1.13 WHIP.

Someone on Twitter likened him to '98 Randy Johnson and, I have to be honest, it melted away a good chunk of resistance.

Baseballa likes this.
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Not saying this is always the case, but I don't like bullpen ERA. A lot of times, the reliever comes in with 1-3 ppl on the bases, gives up a double and the ERs go to the starting pitcher. I know that is how it should be scored, but I feel like every time a reliever comes on and they show their stats, the "inherited runners scoring" percentage is way worse than the league average. Devo has been one of the worst lately. Just because their ERA isnt suffering doesnt mean they arent coming in and failing.

KeuchelForPresident likes this.
  18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan, Andre Drummond, and Andre Roberson bricking FTs down the stretch.

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Justin "Carmelo" Verlander.

20. astros123

astros123 Member

verlander looks good so far, his fastball has good movement