1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Auburn center Walker Kessler

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know if he will have the same impact in the NBA, but he's 7'1" with a 7'5" wingspan. He seems to have really good defensive instincts. I like him as a possibility in the late first or early second.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know why but looking at him this bad boy popped in my head

[​IMG]

3. dmoneybangbang

The lesser Duran?

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s the main reason Auburn has been so good.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Based solely off the LSU highlight video, dude looks like the next Gobert.

Clutch likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s been a beast on defense, and he can shoot the 3.
    If we went with Paolo or Jabari I would like to see if we can get him with a late first. Trade Wood and roll with Sengun, Paolo/Jabari and Kessler

D-rock and Clutch like this.
  7. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

Surprised this is the first time his name popped up here. Certainly think he should be picked up somewhere in the end of 1st or 2nd round.

He runs well, good rebounder, and timely blocks. I just haven’t seen him shoot much in games. He’s always in the paint and that might be his limiting factor.

dmoneybangbang and Clutch like this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

With how slow his jump shot release is (that lone 3 in the LSU video), I can see why. Maybe he's just not confident yet or maybe he needs a good shooting coach.

Rockets21 likes this.
  9. CrazyJoeDavola

How about this:

His name brought back memories of Alec Kessler, who was a lottery pick for the Rockets in the early 90s. I believe he was traded for none other than Carl Herrera. Walker is Alec's nephew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Kessler

Looks like he ended up being a surgeon after his NBA career didn't work out and died in 2007. RIP

Milos, Dr of Dunk, Clutch and 2 others like this.
  10. CrazyJoeDavola

Walker Kessler appears to have a brother named Houston Kessler. Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

D-rock and Clutch like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Walker Kessler was a really well thought of high school player that didn't do much at UNC as a freshman.

This year he is getting minutes and producing. I didn't see him a lot in high school but he was portrayed as a stiff that could fill up space and hit the 3's.

The reality is that he is a pretty good athlete with good coordination and foot speed. He can cover some on the perimeter.

He has some touch but needs to work on his 3 form some.

He is a better shot blocker than Holmgren and Mobley right now, he just has a real knack for it.

I think he could be what teams thought Joel Pryzbilla would be.

Rashmon and D-rock like this.
  12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I was JUST coming to this thread to say that I read this. Pretty amazing connection. I remember watching that Draft (I'm old), being disappointed with the pick and then finding out they traded it. I was in high school and was intrigued by Dave Jamerson, but turns out Carl Herrera was the gem.

I did not know Alec Kessler passed away. RIP.

D-rock likes this.
  13. CrazyJoeDavola

His accomplishments as a surgeon most definitely now place his Rockets draft legacy in a more favorable light.

Sorry Steve Harris, Dave Feitl and John Turner.

My God, John Flippin Turner. Geez.......

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Kessler pulled a Cedric Ceballos, and basically went missing for days during the playoffs and it took a search party to find him. Good times. Found in the Bahamas. But another odd note, when Ceballos disappeared, Magic Johnson was asked to start in his place. True story.

Nook, Milos and D-rock like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Like Kessler a lot with late frp. Also like Williams at Duke.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

He's been putting up some monster stat lines. Finally getting around to watching his film.

Looks good at the traditional center things. Clogs the paint, rebounds, blocks shots. Launches 3's with surprising confidence, although they rarely go in, and his FT% doesn't look great. Awkward form, bricks. It might be something he can do occasionally to keep defenses honest. Maybe if he cleans up his form he'll have more success.

Ranked #18 in his high school class. I don't see a skilled scoring package, or anything about his offense that separates him from other center prospects, but that might just be him sticking to his role? Screener, roller and vertical spacer. Decent recovery speed and can cover a lot of ground for his size. Not a freak athlete, but he doesn't look like a stiff. Moves well laterally dropping in PnR, but his feet aren't super quick.

He looks more like a smooth, than twitchy athlete, and I feel like centers need to be twitchy these days to stay in front on the perimeter, unless you commit to playing drop coverage all the time. Not sold on his offense being much other than clean-up duty. Might consider him at the very back of the 1st, more palatable in the 2nd. He feels like a backup big, but maybe i'm not buying into his defense and rebounding enough.

D-rock, jiggyfly and Milos like this.
  17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Saw him last night, Auburn lost in OT, but he was impressive. Smith is really impressive. Auburn is likely in the final four.

groovemachine and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d like to see Auburn Gonzaga match up

War Machine likes this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow. I didn't even associate the last names, but I remember drafting Alec Kessler. I don't remember reading about his sudden passing. Looks like it was while playing a pick-up game, but at least he got to do what he really wanted to do - be a doctor.

Well, it's a done-deal, then. He's gonna be a Rocket. :D

20. Milos

Milos Member

Respectfully disagree
    Guard play is going to be their downfall
    SEC has already figured out how to press them into mistakes

jiggyfly likes this.