1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Au Pair Foreign Nanny/Housekeeper?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Value added.

I'm paying a Filipino big money at $190/week + Shelter AND Food. That is BIG money there.

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Ive seen the movie that your name comes from

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Xerobull

I don't think I can ever touch @SirIvyLeague in terms of wealthyness, but the cost of owing a helicopter is surprisingly low.

No, wouldn't bang the nanny. Wouldn't be fair.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I want a nanny that loves me back

Xerobull likes this.
  5. Xerobull

After doing some research, cost out of pocket before room, food, car insurance, etc, is about $18k, or $350 a week. Still a better price than daycare with the other value adds such as kids loving them more (less expectations/time), cleaning, other duties as assigned.

6. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You look into the cost associated with owning a hell?

It ain't that low. I prefer to travel with a jetcard my boys & I share. Commercial is a b****.

Fat people, smelly people, bag check, delays, etc. Forget that.

SIL

Xerobull likes this.
  7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Sounds like you are pretty well off so I wonder why your wife or you doesn’t just stay at home with the kids? I mean sure you would lose that income but you would save money on childcare and also be able to have a handle on how your children are raised.

Xerobull, Yung-T, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  8. Xerobull

@SirIvyLeague - Jetcards are good for A-Z but I want to go A-B. Straight lines with a helli.

@K-Low_4_Prez - My wife stayed home with our first son, but it was tough on her. She needs to work. It's an outlet for her. Plus it provides very good insurance. I will be there in the office. The idea is I'm not bothered during business hours.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

You are all business homie.

The way you describe your kids loving a nanny more than you as a value add because your kids will have less expectations from you sounds kind of cold lol.

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

@Xerobull hey whatever works for y’all... me and my girl recently were looking for daycare providers but it just didn’t make since to spend that type of money. We were both working nights but she switched her schedule to mornings so now I send them off to school and get them off the bus and she gets home and then I head to work. And it has really been good for our girls since they always have one of us with them now and she can help them with homework and stuff. Only problem is it’s tough to find time for me and my girl now.

Xerobull and Two Sandwiches like this.
  11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I've banged a few au pair chicks before, they are craaazyyy and so repressed. Haven't met an ugly one yet

NotInMyHouse, Xerobull and da_juice like this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know so many couples facing these kinds of decisions. Ah well, the way things are going, we'll all look back on these as "those good old days, when we actually could get a few hours of sleep between shifts, and the kids didn't have to go the factories at all." LOL.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Xerobull

@K-Low_4_Prez Part of the rationale for my wife staying home back then was the cost. But it was rough on her in several ways. People need a social outlet.

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Where's @Deckard when you need to wax dystopian future?

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  14. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

They're well off cause their both working.

One of them taking off isn't worth the net effect. Salaries compound, going back into the workforce after being a stay at home is extremely hard.

That'd be future income suicide.

It's why he's well off and doing well, he doesn't make dumb moves like that.

SIL

Xerobull likes this.
  15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

If we are talking strictly numbers yes but when it comes to your own children spending time with them everyday is worth a hell of a lot. Life is all about balance and if you spend to much time at work and away from your kids it will cost you down the line when your bailing them out of jail.

Xerobull and Two Sandwiches like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We have help part time, like 2-6, 4 days a week. She doesn't clean (well does a bit, but not the house overall or anything) or cook, but does look after a bunch of kids. sourced through a service that specifically employs college aged generally american nannies.

economically, you're au pair approach would get you much more value, as you've noted, and 100% of the time, and cleaning, etc. but we don't need or want full time (they're our kids, and while I very very much appreciate the value adds of them finding someone else to love as a dependent... i'm not looking to replace myself or my wife, lol), and while I'm sure college aged kids (usually they employ near graduation or just post graduation... ours is 1.5+ out of school and does this part time with a part time freelance gig) can be problematic, you don't have any fear of anything crazy.

remember that story with the hispanic housekeeper our of new york a few years back?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/18/...g-2-children-former-prosecutor-testifies.html

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm right here.

[​IMG]

#37 Deckard, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Xerobull likes this.
  18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

When I was in high school, I lived with my dad and stepmom for a little bit in Singapore. We had a live in housekeeper. I think she was Filipino. Older lady, not attractive. It was fine. She did good work but was never really in the way. When she wasn't working, she was either in her room or out with friends. Didn't feel like she was invading our space at all.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Its not an easy discussion to have. In my place here, most people have to have both partners to work to afford a comfortable life. Who's taking care of the kids? Some people send them to daycare early, some pay these nannies/maids/sitters from foreign countries like indonesia, phillipines, etc. For us we got lucky because we had a family member willing to care for him in our home until he was almost 2. After that we sent him to a playschool in my wife's workplace where she can pop in anytime and he's also getting an early start at socializing and education/play school.

It doesn't feel good to think about them having to leave their families and kids to essentially be slaves in your homes taking care of you and yours, but the reality is some of them have no choice and they're the sole breadwinner in their family. I've worked in mid east and its not unusual to hear stories about these women being raped and used sexually, sometimes by the very children they're taking care of. Stories of them escaping their employers homes to beg for help, sometimes they go out with the family at malls and restaurants and they look at other people silently pleading for help. Its riskier for them being in a new place, open to all sorts of abuse, physical torture etc than you stupidly getting your cars stolen or jewels missing.

If you are serious about taking help in, pay her a comfortable salary worthy of her sacrifices. Treat her with respect and make sure your children do as well.

Xerobull, Nook and Exiled like this.
  20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is this the part where I come in and say you should make more money and you should have married a woman who is able to keep a household with children on her own abilities? Has someone else already done that ? I’m getting bad at the internet. Maybe I should rip off a fake character from someone else.

Xerobull and iconoclastic like this.