1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Attn: Coach McHale!…..D-mo is NOT a three point shooter!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haiti1804, Mar 18, 2013.

1. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Let me begin this by saying that I am not a McHale hater. I think that given the cards he’s been dealt, a young team with an ever shifting roster he has done a reasonably good job. However, these last few games I really do not understand the strategy. It’s beyond obvious that the 7 foot Dmo needs to post up. Not only to score but to make use of his height for offensive rebounding. There is no way you can tell me that Dmo couldn’t post up the bony Morris brothers the other night or David “no defense” lee .The next game will be against the 6’8 Paul Millsap, what will be the excuse then? Dmo goes up against Asik every day in practice and by all reports does well against him. The fact of the matter is he does not even go in the post, when he does all I see him do is score easily.Our height advantage goes out the window because Dmo is on the perimeter constantly. And please don’t say that posting up D-mo will hurt spacing. There have been many examples of teams who space the floor and also have a post presence. The Spurs have Duncan and two of the best penetrators in the game in Ginobili and Parker all the time it can be done, it is all about balance. It’s bizarre to see, Coach McHale one of the greatest low post threats in the history of the game being a facilitator to D-mo becoming Bargnani. One of the hallmarks of being a good coach is adjusting to your personnel. He no longer has jump shooting fours anymore he’s got to make this adjustment along with making Brooks the back up pg ASAP! …

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

McHale knows it, he pretty much said so himself during the summer league. I guess after the Harden trade McHale feels that he has to have a stretch 4 to accomodate all the drivers. That's "adjusting to your personnel" too.

3. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I am sure FO notices the same thing. So do some of us fans. He will play DMo at the corner for 3's and Delfino at 4 down the stretch while using our guards to help out D once the ball is down low....inside out, a couple of passes, and the periemeter is wide open!

There is a reason why we are 28th at D against the 3's. It's not all on Harden or Lin.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

As someone who has watched the entirety of Yao's career, as well as prime Shaq, I find it very difficult for teams to incorporate a post-game effectively just in general. For the Rockets to effectively run offensive sets where they feature a 22-yr rookie with 9 starts under his belt, IMO, is impossible. Running post plays is a 5-man job and requires chemistry.

Do the Rockets need to eventually incorporate DMo post game into their offense? Most certainly. Is that likely this season? No.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The fact is that the team needs 3 point shooting at the PF to space the floor for its dribble penetration game. Morey should have known better than to trade away its only full sized 3 point shooting PF and leaving the team with no option other than too raw DMo and too small Delfino.

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

There's no strategy that will maximize each player. Having Dmo as a stretch helps maximize Harden and Lin because it gives them space to work.

7. smr6

smr6 Member

The reason he has to put D-Mo out on the 3-pt line is because of Asik. You use Duncan as an example with the penetrators, but that only proves the point of why Mchale has to put D-Mo on the outside. You only have room for 1 player to clog the paint or else your drivers won't be able to penetrate.

8. Swag

Swag Member

this is why i feel millsap will be a great fit for our team

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Great observations.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

THIS I'll agree with, in the sense that, Daryl "Don't-Want-to-Pay-Him" Moreyball maybe could have traded Ppat in the offseason, and not risked our slide out of the playoffs.

I realize Thomas Robinson was more of a "get" than a "have": "Look what I got. I don't know what I have, but I GOT it." And he can be traded in the offseason if necessary for picks/cap space or in part of a package for Josh Smith or whatever.

But dammit, I want to make the playoffs, and the Rockets team that didn't show up last night acted like they could coast through their Sunday at home, go to the Toyota Center and beat the Warriors as per usual.

Wrong answer, McFly!

Hate to say it but last season's 6-game slide out of the playoffs is looming large; and for those who are saying, "We're okay, we're okay, our schedule blah blah", it reminds me of Stoopiak---er, Kubiak---after the loss to the Vikings: "The good thing is if we beat Indianapolis" (we'll get home field through the playoffs). Well, guess what? You didn't have them ready to play that game, either.

11. PeppermintCandy

D-Mo's got some post moves, but IMO he's not the type that can anchor the low post and consistently be a threat. His game is more effective when he's on the move. Or at least that's what it seems so far.

12. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

there should be thread "D-Mo is Mo than a 3 point shooter"

13. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

IMO I think DMO is a decent 3pt shooter. I just don't think he's getting plays called for him to post up, which I do believe is one of his strengths. I think DMo takes an appropriate amount of 3's though, since he's usually left open out there.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The phrase "not a three point shooter" doesn't really apply here IMO. This issue is something else entirely.

D-Mo has the ability to shoot the 3, but hasn't been able to translate his ability to gametime play just yet. His form, and shooting stroke are good. There are some mechanical things he could work on, but overall he has shooting ability from 3 point range. I dont think anyone in the organization, and those who have watched him from a close fan basketball perspective should be denying that.

Now, should he be at the 3 point line right now as he's just sort of finding his way in this lineup?... not sure about that. The confidence & rhythm in his shot looks to be the main culprit in this case. You can see the hesitation all over the place.

I actually see the same thing from Chris Bosh in Miami when he gets out of his comfort zone at 3 point range. Similar release, and body positioning(also leftys), but confidence and comfort seem to be issues in their 3 point shooting.

Its up to the coach and the PG to see that the confidence is failing, and put him in a better situation to get his offensive juices flowing early in the game.

Also, as much as people here HATE the thought of him playing center, I think he's someone that the offense could benefit from playing the 5 for short stinks in order to him involved rolling to the rim, and getting shots in the paint.

The guy still has a ton of talent. He just needs to be put in situations to get going offensively. He's not a "system guy" like a Channing Frye or Steve Novak. I think the coaches will realize this, and make adjustments next game. If they dont its cause they think its just 100% mental, and he just needs to shoot his way out of a slump.

Since thats a huge risk at this point in the season, I think they figure out ways to get him more involved in the painted area more for the short term.

15. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

DMo was missing layups too

16. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

You are making too much out of a pawn sacrifice.

17. nbafever

nbafever Member

I liked the rotation we were using before when DMO would play 6 min as a starter, rest, and then come back with the bench unit when the 2nd qtr begins. We need scoring from our bench, DMo with the bench unit can post up since there are no dribble penetrators there.

Also, what do you mean no space for Harden and Lin to drive? You post DMo up when Harden and Lin cannot drive because of shotblockers inside. I don't get this mono-offense we're running. You mean these guys who all played college ball don't know the fundamentals of the game. They weren't running our offense in college. McHale should not downplay their knowledge of the game.

I also don't like our defensive rotations. We keep losing shooters out on the perimeter.

18. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

19. Rox23

Rox23 Member

This is actually a great observation. Were DMo to play with the second unit his confidence would not only be higher (less nervous coming off the bench) but he would be the main scoring option. With Lin, Harden and Asik on the bench, DMo could be the go-to guy in the post. God knows our second unit needs scoring! With no Douglas or Morris it has been a tough going and Bev and Trob keep laying goose eggs. Only question is...if Dmo comes off bench who starts at PF? No, please not Delfino. Morey should have held on to Patterson.