1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

at what point does a band become a cover band of its self

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Feb 7, 2019.

1. body slam

body slam Member

Band members come and go for whatever reason, but the show goes on. There are people that say Journey is not Journey with out Steve Perry. Foreigner has only one member from the original line up or prime years. Guitar player Mick Jones, but still touring as Foreigner. So at what point does a band become a cover band of its self? and why do I have a feeling 30 years from now Wolfgang will still be touring as Van Halen?

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

when they stop creating new music and just do nostalgia tours. i guess they call them "legacy acts".

even if they replace a bunch of members, if they're still writing new music and trying to progress as artists i would say they are not in that territory. on the flip side of that, you have the kind of acts that you mentioned, where its one or two original members and a bunch of hired guns just playing all the old songs...imo, thats where it becomes a cover band like you are talking about. mike loves current version of the beach boys comes to mind...he fired brian wilson and has john stamos in the band! its a f***ing joke!

[​IMG]

the cure is probably my all-time favorite band and there are only two members left from the classic-era (85-92). they have not put out a new album in 10 years and robert smith has no plans to record. but i saw them a few years ago and it was the best show id seen from them. but smith acknowledges that is what they are doing and he is good with it - they are having fun playing their old songs and being a legacy act.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

New albums cost more than they make.

In the current state of the music business, bands make money by playing live. Bands from from our youth must play their greatest hits live to bring in the crowds. Bands are lucky in they can slip in one or two "new" songs per set. Fans are likely more interested in deep album cuts from back in the day over new songs.

body slam likes this.
  4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My unofficial rule is that at least half of the band has to be original members.

You mentioned Journey....now that drummer Steve Smith has rejoined, they actually have all original members except for Perry. I think that DEFINITELY qualifies as still being Journey. (yes, I know there were other members before their 80's heyday) I've seen them several times and they really are an amazing band live. Phenomenal players, all of them. They're still putting out records too, which is cool, but eh....I prefer the classic material (Infinity, Evolution, Departure, Escape, etc.)

Like you said, "Foreigner" is basically just Mick Jones playing in a really good Foreigner tribute band. I probably wouldn't go to that concert even if I really liked Foreigner.

Call me a sucker, but I actually really like all these nostalgia acts that are still going. Seeing The Police 10 years ago was literally the highlight of my musical life, since I was too young to see them live before they broke up. I've seen Sting many times and he always plays Police songs for his encores, but that's just not the same as seeing him playing with Andy and Stewart....even if it was a total money-grab. I don't care.

With certain exceptions, I think any band/artist who creates a musical legacy should be allowed to milk it for all it's worth. I have no problem with any artist making a nice living with their art. To me, it's a good thing and should happen more, not less.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a bunch of the bands from the 50's and early 60's, who were around before music became became big corporate business, you used to have 2 or 3 groups touring at the same time as "The Ink Spots" or whatever.

Without contracts clearly delineating who owned what, each former band member had a piece of the naming pie, so every original member could put together their own touring band and claim a right to the name.

This was in the 80's and 90's. I don't think it happens anymore, as most of them can't get around without a walker these days, and newer bands were subjected to the lawyers as soon as they signed a deal.

body slam likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Apparently Bowzer from Sha Na Na did some legislative work on this front, which I just now learned about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_in_Music_Advertising

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Honest question: I understand that you have to pay the rent, but don't you get tired singing the same damn song a thousand times?

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yeah I doubt I would have the patience to be a member of a touring rock band...same goes with game show hosts such as Pat Sajack. Doing Wheel of Fortune since the 80s and still going strong...him and Vanna have enough money to be set for future generations. Why bother with the monotony at this point?

arkoe likes this.