1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Want Nothing To Do With Dierker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nook, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

David Barron
    Dierker severs relationship with Astros 03/22/2013 11:47 PM

After almost a half-century as a pitcher, sales representative, broadcaster, manager and goodwill ambassador for Houston's Major League Baseball franchise, Larry Dierker's association with the Astros will end April 15.

The end of the relationship, Dierker said this week, stems in large part from his disappointment and frustration that he was not allowed a chance to return to the broadcast booth this season.

He said he met Wednesday with team marketing officials and refused to sign a contract that would have called on him to do up to 180 appearances on the team's behalf each year.

"I told them from the start that if it's not meaningful work, I don't want it," Dierker said. "I'm not a guy who just wants to go around signing autographs and taking pictures with people. They never have been able to understand that, I guess, or believe it.

"So that's the end."

Dierker's dissatisfaction with the administration of owner Jim Crane and president George Postolos has been well known in the wake of the decision to hire former players Alan Ashby, Geoff Blum and Steve Sparks along with play-by-play announcer Robert Ford to fill out the broadcasting roster with TV play-by-play voice Bill Brown.

Offer 'next to nothing'

Dierker, 66, said he met this week with marketing director Scott Wakeman and Meg Vaillancort, senior vice president for community relations, but rejected the offer of an appearances-based contract with a salary he described as "next to nothing."

"It's not a surprise. It's a disappointment," he said. "It's not anything that I need. It's something that I want.

"There is a certain amount of bitterness. You invest 48 years in a market, and you see everything being destroyed and you can't do anything about it."

Postolos said Friday afternoon, "We raised Larry's salary in 2012, and we offered to raise him again in 2013 and expand his role to include pre- and postgame analysis on CSN. He wanted a different job, but we determined he was not the right fit for the job he wanted. That made him unhappy.

"Larry was complimentary of the direction of the franchise until he didn't get the job he wanted. His remarks today are sour grapes. We regret his bitterness but still wish him well."

Dierker acknowledged the possibility of reasonable disagreement over what he sees as his value to the franchise and the view of management, whose approach he described as "cold, calculating and humorless."

"The degree of accomplishment, that is a matter of pride," he said. "Pride cuts both ways. It can be a pride in doing good work and having success, or it can be in being too proud of yourself, which is not a good thing.

"Obviously, based on the decisions they've made, they think I'm too proud of myself. Because it is personal to me, I don't think that I am."

Planning to move on

Dierker said he has talked with other teams and hopes to have a position with another team by next season.

"I won't be a full-time scout or won't be going to the winter meetings, and I'm not interested in managing," he said. "But I could probably be a bench coach, and I could certainly do announcing and marketing and writing and a lot of stuff I could do from my house that would be beneficial to any team, but apparently not this team."

Dierker's preference, he said, would have been to fill the opening left when broadcaster Jim Deshaies accepted a position with the Cubs. Ashby filled that position.

One of the provisions of the contract he declined to sign included studio appearances on CSN, but he said he was not interested in the tedium of pregame work, hanging around to watch the game and commenting afterward.

"To me, that's a job for a kid getting started. It's not a job for me," he said. "It's like going to the minor leagues."

Dierker signed with the Colt .45s in 1964 and made his major league debut on his 18th birthday, Sept. 22, 1964, striking out Willie Mays in the first inning. He was the Astros' first 20-game winner in 1969 with a 20-13 record and pitched a no-hitter in 1976 against the Montreal Expos.

His career record with the Astros of 137-117 ranks third in wins in franchise history, and he holds team records for starts (320), complete games (106), innings pitched (2,2941⁄3) and shutouts (25).

Lengthy second career

After pitching his final season in the majors in 1977 for the Cardinals, Dierker spent a year working in sales with the Astros before becoming a broadcaster, a position he held from 1979 to 1996.

In 1997, owner Drayton McLane made the startling decision to move Dierker from the booth to the dugout as Astros manager. He led the club to National League Central Division titles in 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2001 and was NL Manager of the Year in 1998.

His 435 wins as a manager is second in Astros history to Bill Virdon's 544.

Dierker resigned after a fourth straight NL Division Series loss to conclude the 2001 season, and his uniform No. 49 was retired in 2002. He returned to the broadcast booth on a limited basis in 2004 and 2005 and remained with the team as a community outreach executive.

Dierker said the final appearances on his current contract include a luncheon for team sponsors and an April 1 softball game between the Astros' and Rangers' ownership groups.

"If something is going to happen like this, it's best that it happens when you don't need anything to do," he said. "But I feel I have something to give and enough energy to do something that is challenging or meaningful.

"I've always worked, and after a couple of years sitting around talking to people in (Larry's Big Bamboo, the home plate bar at Minute Maid Park named in the honor of his spring training hangout in Florida), it wasn't going to work. I needed more than that."

He said he has no opinion on the future of Larry's Big Bamboo.

"They can do whatever they want," he said. "I don't care if they take (my name) off or leave it."

http://mobile.chron.com/chron/db_311121/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=tAlJH9Ld

Well that certainly didn't end well. Not a big fan of how new ownership has treated long term employees of the club. Larry has been involved for 50 years.. Stretch was for 30.. And there are many others.... They squeezed Bill Brown and lost Deshaies over money...

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Pretty clear that Dierker wanted the color job or nothing. So nothing is what he got.

I would have loved to see Dierker doing color, especially with Jimmy D gone. I don't think Sparks will do as good of a job as Dierker does. But looks like he didn't give the Astros much of a choice.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ashby is the color guy. Sparks is radio only.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Ashby isn't going to do as good of a job as Dierk would have done either. Don't really understand why they wouldn't have given him the job.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have always gotten the sense that Larry Dierker is not an easy man to work with.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Probably not.

However, I don't feel Dierker was as good of a broadcaster after he came back from being fired as manager as he was before. He has a permanent sense of bitterness now... probably from being fired and never getting another real opportunity to manage in the big leagues.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

WTHB: "As a matter of fact, I find that response to be somewhat cold, calculating and humorless."

TCB on Dierker's departure

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Man I really don't like this at all. The guy has been faithful to the franchise for a long damn time. He's always been awesome whenever I've met him. It looks like we have a case of smartest guys in the room syndrome and screw tradition, the history, and whatever else. They're going to do it how they want to do regardless of how anyone feels about it. That really rubs me the wrong way. Though Drayton was questionable with his baseball decisions at least he understood the history and the PR of running a franchise. Drayton didn't make comments about his club being a private business and how people could write a check to sign players. Crane has a lot to learn.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The new regime loves former Astros, but only if they are reasonably young.

Sad to see a guy be gone after nearly 50 years with the team. I don't blame them for not giving him the broadcasting job, but would have been nice to find a role for him that both parties could have been happy with.

10. Major

Major Member

I agree, though from Dierker's comments, I'm not sure there IS a job he would have been happy with besides the broadcasting one. It's not like we're talking about Dierker just keeping his former job here. He wasn't happy with the job he'd been doing the last several years under the old regime either. He saw the opening and is pissed that it wasn't given to him. Drayton didn't give him back that job either, so it's hard to blame Crane for this.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Yeah I dunno Dierker's coming off pretty bitter here. And saying he's above studio work...Id be a little offended if I was Calvin Murphy.

Anyways, it's not like the team is completely snubbing former players. They were offering a place for Dierker and he chose to decline.

Sure Crane needs to learn the value of positive PR, but the team has every right to do it their way....so long as they win.

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Well, TBH, their image as a competitive MLB team is pretty poor. I'm sad/ disappointed about some of the recent moves, but the team has a losing culture at the moment. Dierker in the booth doesn't fix that. I love my Astros, and Dierker, but team over individuals. Winning solves quite a bit.

13. NotInMyHouse

Which eventually led us into the hole we find ourselves....:eek:

At this point lets be no nonsense and get back to winning baseball. Old ghosts and specters have gotten us just about nowhere.

P.S. Our kids will grow up saying "Dierker who?".

14. juicystream

"Kids, I'm going to tell you who Larry Dierker was. One of the greatest pitchers to ever pitch for the Astros. He once was what Carlos Rodon is for us today."

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

If [you fans] want to write a check for 10 million bucks....

16. NotInMyHouse

And those kids will say, "Neat. Dad will you buy us a Rodon jersey".

17. juicystream

"No, kids. You already have matching retro Bagwell & Biggio jersies, and nothing will ever beat those."

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Story of Life. Things change and you are forced to evolve, sometimes backward. Unfortunate part of life. But this story repeats through time. Normally you are pushed out by the "new". So he's lucky he had a gig as long as he did and wasn't forced out. It's honorable to want more responsibility and to get active again, but at 70 years, he'll likely not find it. It makes me wonder what he will do to be happy.

19. NotInMyHouse

HA! Touché!

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Interesting. Is it just a feeling you have gotten over the years or is there a patter of behavior you have noticed?