1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The strategy for this years trade deadline is certainly a tricky one in that we have to bet whether McCann and/or Correa will be healthy come playoff time. Do we use resources at the trade deadline to back up these positions or not?

Jeff L. is not in a enviable position.

1) I suppose getting rentals which cost less to obtain would be one approach. Then see who holds up or not and address things in the winter.

2) Get the best player available would be another. Move the other parts around as needed.

#4741 jim1961, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am really optimistic about the upper level pitching. Whitley, Martes, Armenteros, Dykxhoorn, Bostick, F Valdez, Thornton, Hartman, Deetz, Ferrell, Adcock, and Bielak are all guys I think will have major league value. And I expect Morton to be back next year. Either way the odds of any of the guys I hypothetically traded away ending up good enough to replace Verlander or Cole are extremely low. Whitley is the one guy I think could be on that level.

But realistically I do not expect them to trade away 6 pitching prospects this month.

#4742 Snake Diggit, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Lol Jeff L. is in an extremely enviable position. Lets be reasonable.

Nook and bigdaddy like this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I meant on this issue.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Most especially on this issue.

He can do literally anything he wants this year... and the team is virtually assured of making the playoffs.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Making the playoffs isn't the issue I am raising.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No, but you're talking about making moves.

Luhnow knows that whatever moves he feels he has to make, is simply to optimize this team for their virtually guaranteed playoff run.

Most other teams out there aren't guaranteed of anything, let alone having significant weaknesses in more than one capacity... and are making moves accordingly.

8. xcrunner51

Lol just what are your expectations? Nearly no team sweeps their way to the WS title without some questions.

The Astros by most people’s rankings are on top looking down or at worst are somewhere in a tightly packed top 3.

The Astros last year won with an unusually unreliable bullpen. This year they’re even better overall. I doubt Luhnow is too concerned about the catcher and Correa situations.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Making the playoffs and likely having at least as good of odds of anyone to win it all.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Expectations about the team, how far they go and how well positioned they are also not what I am addressing. Where are all these straw men points coming from?

I was imagining Jeff thinking about Correa, somewhat about McCann.

Do you think its easy for him to consider that we might not see Correa the rest of the year? That he might never be the player he was, or be able to realize his potential? Do you think there is no concern there?

Sure, this could all blow over. But given recent events, its hardly a reach at all to think about these things, and as such, figure out how the best way to deploy our trade deadline resources.

raining threes likes this.
  11. raining threes

He should be worried about Correa's back, I know I am. Twenty three olds with bad backs, scary stuff. Have you ever had a bad back?

Glad you feel comfortable with a rookie and a guy coming off of knee surgery as your optins at catcher during a title run. I dont.

12. xcrunner51

Is it annoying Correa isn't in the lineup? Sure. But until they announce he isn't playing in October I'm not too concerned. The team is rolling through most opponents just fine right now.

My expectations on McCann fell a long time ago.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Luhnow's job is position team to win the World Series. His concern for Correa is more likely on Correa's short term health and not for how it will affect teams chances in playoffs as their actions suggest a lot of rest should fix it. On McCann, Luhnow is probably more concerned with McCann's health than how it affects team. Doctors have already probably told Luhnow what are the ranges of outcomes for McCann, and Luhnow will handle those possibilities as part of his normal business.

Nook likes this.
  14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

With all the salary you just added, do you trade Correa or Springer and get prospects? Or just let them walk when they get to free agency?

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am. How have I failed to make that clear?

I dont either.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah the Astros may trade some of them for another starter under long term contract or possibly one for a reliever or bat. The Astros are still trying to decide if James and Perez are starters. From seeing them in the minors I think both are destined for the pen as high leverage relievers. The hope is Whitley is in the rotation and hopefully Martin. We likely sign one (maybe two) of Verlander, Cole, Kuechel and Morton. We have been spoiled but there will be a spot or two in the rotation over the next several years.

BigMaloe, moonsh0t and raining threes like this.
  17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Do you think it is possible that Luhnow has more information on Correas back than CF posters do?

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not sure their actions suggest anything beyond that he cant play. The fact that he cant even do baseball drills is even more worrisome. While rest is certainly hoped to be a remedy, its far from certain that it will.

But my concerns are about the team impact AND Correa as a person.

19. raining threes

I think the trade deadline will tell us more about Correa's back. If Luhnow adds a bat then maybe he isn't willing to gamble on Correa's back. Regardless of whether Correa's back is good or not I would add a vet bat and Britton at the deadline depending on the cost.

A 23 yr old with a bad back doesn't bode well for the future. As a guy who has hurt his back trust me on this.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is Bregman playing SS or 3B mostly?