1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. prospecthugger

You can't send down smith, you either keep him on the roster or release him. If no one claims him on release waivers, you get to pay for him to play for another team for the next 2 years. That would be an incredibly short sighted decision to make in order to give up assets for a reliever who was replacement level last year. Sure I'd swap Smith for Herrera straight up, but that's not an option obviously.

It's interesting that Herrera is such a popular target as Giles insurance, it seems like the view on here is that Giles is unreliable since everyone has seen him fail, but if you were a Royals fan who watched Herrera last year, you would probably not feel any better about pitching him in important situations.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

This is why I said I don't see the Astros trading for a bullpen arm unless they have an injury. How many available relievers would be good enough and worth the prospect costs? Hererra is just a rental, never was a closer in the playoffs, and wasn't good last year. Raisel Iglesias has never pitched in the post season and will cost a TON in terms of prospects. Zach Britton is coming off an achilles injury, and Brad Hand has never pitched in the post season and will cost a fortune in prospects.

3. prospecthugger

I don't see playoff experience as a requirement. Generally the best players will perform the best in the playoffs. I could see them adding a lefty since Sipp's track record the last few years is pretty spotty, but a guy like Herrera doesn't make that much sense to me, as he doesn't seem like a clearly better option than Devo, Rondon, Peacock, or McHugh. Add in probably one of mccullers or Morton for the playoffs, plus possibly Whitley and you're coming down being worried about your 7th best playoff reliever, who probably isn't going to be pitching in critical situations anyways.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Abreu and Realmuto are the 2 guys I’d love to see Houston trade for (provided they don’t have to give up Whitley or Tucker).

The way the entire pitching staff is performing I just don’t see where it is worthwhile to try and upgrade. Hell, even the upgrade from Gattis to Abreu and Stassi to Realmuto might not be worthwhile. And between Tucker/Fisher/Kemp/Davis, LF should be fine. I won’t be up in arms if they stand pat.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm still thinking odds are good that Astros can get production for one of DH (Davis, White, or Gattis) or LF (Tucker, Kemp, Fisher, Alvarez) from internal options. I'm liking Stassi at catcher. Astros would more likely run with 3 catchers than get trade away Stassi.

Definitely think Astros are big game hunting this deadline. If they get a reliever, it will be a very good one. If they can't get one bat for LF or DH from internal sources, they may get two good bats.

6. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Is this guy giving anyone else a cangrejero vibe? My trade thread feels polluted.

Snake Diggit and Major like this.
  7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

So question

Hanley Ramirez was just DFA by the Red Sox.
    He went get claimed that's a fact.
    So when his 7 days is up to you take a shot at him and let him play super Utility?

8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Negative.
    I'm just trying to say there are certain players who shouldn't be on this team
    Jake Evan Derek Tony Joe

There are players that should not get Extentions
    Dallas Marwin

This team wants to be a Dynasty.
    They gotta learn not to fall in the o my category
    Yankees and Red Sox players past there prime and high dollar contracts.
    Jacob Ellsbury raging a bell.
    Sure he was great but today ugh

9. Buck Turgidson

Hanley Ramirez is a utility player in that he can play *both* DH and 1B.

10. Buck Turgidson

He was a much better poster during the 4 years he was lurking.

Nook and eric.81 like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

There are a lot of players that could be a fit for the Astros at the right cost.

Herrera would bring a high leverage arm to the pen and really round the pen out.

Salvador Perez could be a long term solution behind the plate, he hit for power and is exceptional behind the plate. He isn't cheap but is under contract for three years and may not cost much in prospects.

Mike Moustakas would be able to play 3rd, 1st and DH.... he is consistently in the 800+ OPS range and would bring power to the Astros. He is a rental and may not cost much.

Adrian Beltre is another possible rental that is a gold glove quality fielder and shouldn't cost a lot in trade.

If Britton is pitching well, and the Orioles pay part of his salary, he may be worth it for a rental and playoff run.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. prospecthugger

I don't think the Royals will part with Perez for a small prospect price.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Small is a relative term. They may get a package of players but not get a top 3-4 Astros prospect. I am not so sure the Royals are going to want to pay Perez 14 million a year the next few years.

Honestly I don't think the Astros will even target him, but he is a quality player that will likely be available.

14. prospecthugger

The Royals were needing to shed salary while simultaneously trying to re-sign Hosmer because he was a "leader" Maybe it's my perception of them, but I have a hard time seeing Moore being reasonable when it comes to Perez. It certainly seems like a very Royal thing to do to demand multiple top 100 prospects for the "heart and soul" of the team. KC is weird.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A sample size of 43-47 in save situations is not small. No one has a better percentage over that time.

And if we discount small sample sizes, why are folks allowed to scream how he sucked in the playoffs?

16. HTM

HTM Member

Would be nice to find someone with a history of success at DH. I am wary of getting a good hitter to use as a DH primarily who hasn't actually performed the role of a DH before.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Three guys have better save percentages since 2017 just looking at top of board. Guessing there are a few dozen more that have better percentages with zero blown saves as you seem to like throwing out the K/BB ratio in a small size. Save percentage is not a very repeatable skill as indicated by Giles prior to 2017.

Playoffs should be incorporated into how Giles is valued. Giles should be valued more like Harris, a good, not great, high leverage reliever when nothing is wrong. That said, when he was having trouble with his slider, he should have been removed from closer role until he was pitching well*. Stats over a larger sample sizes aren't very appropriate when something is wrong. He had trouble with the slider in the postseason. Up until the past 2-3 games, he's not had it this season.

If you can't tell something was different earlier this season than normal Giles, there really isn't much to say. 2-3 more outings with slider working and I'll be back to trusting Giles as a closer as much as almost any other closer. Though, I'm much more comfortable than most with closing by matchup than most.

*By pitching well, I'm talking about limiting walks, getting Ks, and limiting hard contact. It is not depending on batters to hit it to defenders.

Nook likes this.
  18. How Sweet It Is!

Dear God Cletus.

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think AJ Reed and another prospect lower could get Kelvin Herrara.

I also believe Hanley Ramirez would go well at DH .
    But that's me.

I would fish for Kevin Pillar or Nick Castellonos for Derek Fisher and a prospect.

And to make a note worthy comment so you guys can get a just of some news.
    RED SOX coach Cora made the call on Hanley Ramirez to be DFA for Pedroia. Funny note he has loads of interest in Marwin Gonzalez........

20. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

$15 million to pay Ramirez at DH what Gattis does for far less?
    Also why does the English language seem to elude you?