1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade for Mike Lamb

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets10, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

2. Buck Turgidson

They wanted a little LH pop off the bench. Good move.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The NY post should be running their Mike Lamb bashing cover story "Wolf in Lamb's Clothing" in tomorrow's edition...

4. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

The New York to Houston connection continues.

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

was juan deleon a prospect at all?

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Love how all the NY players are coming down to H-Town.

#6 Uprising, Mar 25, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

on deleon. he was 2-0.. 1.83 ERA.. in 39 1/3rd innings last year, but that was at single A.

I like this move to get a quality bench guy

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Are you a New Yorker if you never played in New York? What is the sound of one hand clapping?

9. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6390

Hopefully at MMP he will find his long-ball stroke, but as it is he is not much of a power threat. Apparently, he isn't too good out in the field either. But he is left handed, so this could be a good pickup.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

This move can be classified as "Ensberg insurance" - he hasn't had a good swing and Lamb is a career .282 hitter and is left handed.

Good move, way better then Valentin on the bench.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Good move, way better then Valentin on the bench.

Valentinis now history. FYI from the AP story:

Astros get 3B Lamb from Yanks for RHP DeLeon
    Thursday, March 25, 2004

(03-25) 15:03 PST TAMPA, Fla. (AP) --

The Houston Astros acquired third baseman Mike Lamb from the New York Yankees on Thursday for minor league right-hander Juan DeLeon.

Lamb competed for the Yankees' third base job until they traded for reigning American League MVP Alex Rodriguez, who shifted from shortstop.

Lamb, who arrived in a trade from Texas in February, hit .292 with one homer and two RBIs in 11 spring training games. He hit .132 in 28 games for the Rangers last season and spent most of the year with their Triple-A affiliate in Oklahoma, where he batted .288 with nine homers and 46 RBIs.

He's now favored to earn the last available backup infield spot with the Astros, who released veteran John Valentin on Thursday. Valentin had been competing with Jason Alfaro and Eric Bruntlett for a place on the 25-man roster.

DeLeon, 22, went 2-0 with a 1.83 ERA in 39 1-3 innings over 26 games for the Astros' Class-A club in Lexington, Ky. He will be assigned to the Yankees' Class-A team in Tampa.

12. dEVIL

dEVIL Member

in other news, the cubs gm jim hendry made a ridiculous trade sending pitcher juan cruz to atlanta for some no-name pitcher and second baseman

13. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I really like this move. Just look at the stats..

Career vs. CUBS .357
    vs. Mark Prior 2 for 2 with 1 BB 1 RBI

Career vs. CARDINALS .297
    vs. Woody Williams 2 for 5 with 1 2B 1 RBI 1BB

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Interesting stat.........

Mr Lamb's career Strike Out (SO) to At-Bat (AB) ratio is......

1:7.95

15. Fegwu

More career SO to AB ratios in "descending order"

Lance Berkman = 1 : 4.85

Richard Hidalgo = 1 : 4.92

Jeff Bagwell = 1 : 5.06

Jeff Kent = 1: 5.23

Adam Averett = 1 : 5.55

Morgan Ensberg = 1 : 6.09

Craig Biggio = 1 : 6.25

Jose Vizcaino = 1 : 7.37

Well the reason I chose to highlight this stat (instead of walk/SO) is my worry about how we fail to make simple 'contact' in times of need. The stat that really surprised me the most is Lance's - I never knew (or felt) he had this high SO to AB ratio (please someone correct me if my stat on him is inacurate). In all, I expect that Mr Lamb will be a descent to good contact hitter off the bench.

16. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

The reason Berkman is probably so high is because he walks so much as well. If it were plate appearances per strikeout rather than ABs/SO it probably wouldn't look as bad. Although it still does mean that when he doesn't walk, he strikes out a bunch.

#16 Rockets10, Mar 25, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  17. Fegwu

Yes I agree that Berkman's walks somewhat offsets his SO to AB ratio. What the stat also tells me is that he is not much of a contact hitter. I looove walks and I will like to see more contact hits to advance runners from 2nd and 3rd - at least this is the sole reason the Braves seized back the momentum in our last playoff push (or the one before that) when we were unable to bring home a key run with nobody out. We only managed to conjour weak direct hit to the Braves Short Stop. This scenario need not be relived anymore at least anytime soon.

18. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/news/story?id=1768352

Sounds like the deal was trading one promising struggling pitcher for another in order for a change of scenery. Both are lefties and have good stuff from the analysis. Cruz seemed like he had the goods based on his ML experience, but at least now he won't be with the Cubbies.

19. Fegwu

When you say both are lefties are you refering to Cruz as well? I ask because I know Cruz is a 'righty'. I still think he will have descent MLB career but not as initially heralded.

20. Buck Turgidson

Astros released Dave Veres today: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-astros-veres&prov=ap&type=lgns

Roster is shaping up nicely, bench looks really solid with Viz, Lamb, Lane & Palmeiro...good PH options.

All indications are that they'll go with a 12 man pitching staff. Only question left is the last 2 spots in the bully. Dotel, Lidge, Micelli, Duckworth & Stone are locks. Backe, Gallo, Robertson, Fernandez & Saarloos are battling for the last 2 spots. My personal preference would be Gallo & Backe, or maybe Saarloos.

Cubs now have absolutely zero SP depth...interesting.