1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros: Stick a Fork in 'Em?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMan Tex, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

With football season rapidly approaching, you'll completely forget about baseball.

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

It's about time someone made a thread like this ...

Bash Ausmus Thread=Ausmus goes on a tear
    Bash Burke Thread=Hits more homers in 2 weeks than he hit all year
    Bash the entire team Thread=???

I'm not saying they are going to win the wild card, and I think we are an underdog, but I'll be watching and rooting like hell that it does happen.

Is there anyway we can get the chronicle to print another tombstone in tomorrow's paper?

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Thank you sir. As a lifelong devoted Astros fan, I can only hope that this thread follows the recent trend and lights a fire under their collective asses.

4. Major

Major Member

The only thing that makes this team good, less alone great, is the sub 3 ERA. If we have average starting pitching, this team was never going to go anywhere. When we went on our run in July, we went something like 20 straight games allowing 4 runs or less. That's how we won those games and why people think (or thought) we could make noise in the playoffs. If we don't have that kind of pitching, this team is average at best, no matter if you add a bat or not.

I'm not sure what you expect to be done. If you add a Griffey-type bat, that's one thing - but it's quite clear that none of those are reasonably available. If you add a Lawton-type bat, you still need great pitching. Those kinds of bats aren't going to take out offense from bad to decent. Adding a Matt Lawton might help us score 1 or 2 more runs a week, at the very best (and at the expense of Burke developing for the future). What's the point? The bottom line is that the pitching has to carry this team - it's just the way the team was built after losing 3 major sluggers from last year (Bagwell, Kent, Beltran).

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

In 1/2 of our losses this past month, we only allowed 4 runs or less.

at ths point, i really dont EXPECT anything to get done....i agree that a guy like Lawton would be of no consequence....and that Griff probably carries much too hefty a price tag for us...im just pointing out that we are losing because of ofense....not pitching.

6. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

All of this Griffey stuff is whoreshet. I hope to be proven wrong. We gots no bats.

The Astros look done. I hope to be proven wrong. Beltran's broken face will crack a smile if they outgun us.

That Zeke thread needs to continue on, because it was funny. Like ... way funny. His boil should be a topic of discussion. It makes me sick.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What does LUKE FRICKEN SCOTT have to do to get a call up? The guy is on a rampage, and is a power hitting machine......

DD

8. msn

msn Member

My guess--be breathing on 1 Sept.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We need him BEFORE then to be eligible for the playoffs.

But the Bagwell rehab assignment is EXCELLENT news.

DD

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I think most people here are missing the larger picture. Even if the Astros do manage to get out of this funk and take the wild card, they will still be a poor hitting team with no chance in the playoffs.

We should all be pleasantly surprised that the team has done this well this season. But as the team is currently put together, we are in no way a contender. Unless we pick up Griffey (unlikely) or Bagwell and/or Scott return and set the world on fire (highly unlikely), this is still a rebuilding year. A great rebuilding year, yes, but still rebuilding.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Luke Scott just got called up. [ESPN 790]

12. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Who got sent down?

BTW: Because they didn't wait for September, I think this means they want to actually give Scott another chance instead of just having him available for pinch hitting. He could see a lot of playing time.

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Harville got claimed by the Red Sox.

14. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

These guys are nowhere near done. I admit that these guys are so hard to watch right now, but no one else has pulled away. I mean for all the times that these guys could have packed it in or been blown away by another wild card contender, it just has not happened. The Astros will get it going, if no other reason than the Clutch BBS thread reverse curse.

15. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

As bad as they've been lately, this has been the strangest baseball season in quite some time. And, nobody seems to want to take control of the top spot in the wild card. I think the Astros stay in it until the final day.

16. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

C'mon guys. Keep your chins up. The hitting will improve and we'll start winning series' again. I think we can win the Wild Card without a major move to add a bat if the Marlins don't catch fire. Down 1 1/2 games with 32 left is something all of us would have taken when we were 16-31. Let's enjoy this strange rollercoaster ride. Grab a barf bag if you need one.