1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros: Stick a Fork in 'Em?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMan Tex, Aug 29, 2005.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Are they done? Do they still have a hope of winning the wildcard?

Not if they can't score any runs........

The ups and downs of this offense are freaking me out. Did the Stros empty the gas tank in June/July/August just to get to this point? Are we out of gas?

Signed, a very bewildered yet hopeful and faithful Astros fan.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am about ready to give up on them, they are just unwatchable on offense.

If Ensberg and Berkman are not hitting, and right now they aren't they just can't score.

DD

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Yea, their offense is pitiful. 1-0 last night and Roger giving it all....?

Unless I see Purpura bringing in a bat by the end of this season or next season, I see Roger retiring this year.

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I cant stick a fork in em yet given the upcoming schedule...BUT, this past week was one of the most frustrating weeks of Astros baseball I have seen. I don't even know if there is a bat out there available at this point...but if there is, I hope we get it. Fortunately, I wasn't around to watch yesterday's game....that would have put me over the edge. Bottom line is that even Berkman was quoted a couple weeks ago in the chronicle and said something to the extent of ' we will go as far as the pitching takes us'....alluding to the fact that our lineup just wasn't (isn't) cutting the mustard.

Very frustrating indeed....especially given the fact that we could have made up some ground this past weekend. :mad: :( :confused:

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its all on Ensberg and Berkman... if the two best players on ANY team are in a slump, that team's offense will suffer.

And, while we didn't make up any ground... its amazing that we didn't actually lose any ground either. Its RIGHT THERE for them as far as making the playoffs is concerned... unfortunately, this last week has made me far less confident that even if this team was to make the playoffs, it would be hard for them to beat any team in a 7 game series simply because that would indicate that the offense was somewhat consistent (which we know it is inot).

Right now, the Braves look more formidable than the Cardinals who no longer have the big-basher lineup, and are having to rely on guys like Nunez, So Taguchi, and John Rodriguez.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Never give up. Our pitchers have got to do better. They need to suck it up and throw a shutout. One after the other. The Astros of 86 did it. 2 shutouts and a no hitter to clinch. Even is the worst of times it can be done.

7. NJRocket

umm yeah :confused:

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree...the braves look tough.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You cannot count them out, yet. There is a lot of baseball to play and they have the easiest schedule of all the wild card contenders.

However, I have nev er had so much trouble watching a contending Astros team in my life. I still don't understand why Luke Scott is sitting in Round Rock. Who cares if they make the playoffs? It isn't the organization's goal to win the PCL championship. At least, I hope it isn't. Get him up here before Wednesday so that he is eligible for the playoffs.

At least Baggy is close and he will add some pop off the bench (hopefully). Maybe his return, coupled with Backe, will spark the guys.

10. Major

Major Member

#7 in the NL in ERA in August after being #1 in July.

11. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Ken Griffey Jr. will be an Astro by September 1st.

(Job security will be the main culprit).

*the above is my opinion, my opinion only, and includes zero scoop. it is more or less, being thrown against the wall, so that in case it sticks, I'll be able to say "I told you so".*

12. msn

msn Member

awesome. :)

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You guys know better than to bring up old threads!

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#15 in the NL in runs in August after being #2 in July.

15. NJRocket

the point is that our recent slide is certainly a lot more attributable to the offense than the pitching....i cant see how you can disagree with that.

16. Major

Major Member

But our team is not built to win by outscoring people. Its built to win with phenomenal pitching and mediocre-to-decent offense, winning games 3-1 or 4-2. We've had crappy offense, but even with a decent offense, this team is not going to win anything without the phenomenal pitching.

Our recent slide is attributable to the fact that both our pitching and hitting has gone downhill over the last month.

17. NJRocket

Not built to win by outscoring people? Is there another way to win? You cannot expect our pitchers to carry a sub 3 ERA all season becuase we dont outslug anyone. Just as you cannot expect the offense to out slug everyone if our pitchers were getting shelled for 6 months (if the situation was opposite).

Our starters, save Pettitte and Rocket, may be in a mini slump as of late, but lately, once we get down 3 or 4 runs, you can basically turn off your TV....and that is because we are struggling on offense. When we got down 4-0 the other night (i think Roy was pitching), we shut them down the next several innings and couldnt even threaten.

18. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

The Purpura sheep brigade is surprisingly quiet in this thread...

Anyway, how much should we overpay for a bat at this point? Do we settle for someone like Dmitri Young or no one at all? Young's 8 mil due next season is not so appealing though.

19. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

ahh i see there are just a few fans that dont religiously believe, that losing series after series failing to score runs , that we are still right in the thick of it

the fact is that until we get it together, we arent in the thick of anything, you dont lose your way into the playoffs.

20. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

1 1/2 games out with 32 left, we are done. :rolleyes: