1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There are limits on free speech. The government does have laws against threatening people. The question is intent. Based on reports from reporters, it sounds like 1) Taubman yelled at Footer, 2) Footer felt threatened. Tone is important. If Taubman's intent was to threaten Footer, that would be a misdemeanor, but intent is hard to prove. Knowing intent is not needed for an employer to fire an employee as you say.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

hypothetically, if news came out that every time footer came in the locker room in the past year and a half she sought out osuna to ask him questions about domestic violence, and sought out taubman to ask him why he would trade for somebody who was accused of doing what they did, would your opinions on what happened change at all?

raining threes likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I firmly believe the "yelling" (intent or no intent) would not have gotten him fired by itself.

It was how he handled the situation right after the incident (i.e. - lied) that led to a really poor choice of a statement by the team, and that's a fireable offense regardless of whatever transpired prior.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This is incredibly disingenuous. Everyone with 3 firing synapses knows that he was using this as a club to hit footer with. It doesn’t do good for honest intellectual discussion to pretend something is something it isn’t.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This is disingenuous too. Footer was doing this to intentionally give the Astros the finger.
    I actually agree with her POV by the way, but it was meant to be and obviously was inflammatory. And that’s her right as a person but quite frankly it’s inappropriate imo as someone who works for MLB to continuously do that, and I assume that’s why her Twitter was scrubbed. It’s a bad bad bad look for her employer with all this going on during their showcase event, and she, while not at fault for Taubmans boorish behavior or the Astros ham handed reaction to such, played a part in the whole shebang.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

exactly. and that's the only thing that we know of. if you think that's the only thing she did that finally made taubman snap, you're nuts.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree he's being fired because of bad PR that the yelling and lying caused. The Astros do not appear care that he taunted and/or threatened a woman in their work place. Other employers would not be so lenient.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

didn't know her twitter was scrubbed, so i just took a look....one quick scroll landed on "it really is astonishing how inept gary sanchez is behind the plate". this is just who she is.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yep.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When did he threaten anybody?

Why take it there?

The Real Shady likes this.
  11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Don't see how he threatened her. Taunted yes.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. raining threes

Nothing

And I notice you didn't answer my post.

Exactly what did Taubman say that was wrong, or enough to cost him his job.

I agree with Taubman and I'm very glad he's on this team. If Footer/Apstein etc... dont like this, then tough **** and maybe they need to find another line of work if they're so sensitive they cant handle something like this in a lockerroom after a victory that put the team in the WS.

13. raining threes

What is it then?

The statement is what all of this is based off of, it he hadn't said what he said then this thread wouldn't exist.

Apstein didn't feel threatened or if she did she should never be allowed in another clubhouse. She was looking to make a story and that she did.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  14. raining threes

I'm so glad Osuna is on this team.

Fire me.

Footer needs to leave her feelings at the clubhouse door.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Taubman yelled at Footer and caused Footer to feel vulnerable, at risk. Threaten is the word that means cause someone to feel vulnerable, at risk. So, when Taubman yelled at Footer, he threatened whether intentional or not. Intent causes it to be a crime.

I went there because that is what he did.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Everybody was yelling in the locker room. Sarcastic yelling is not a threat. In the court of snowflakes maybe.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

From 2018 when she was doing the DV bit during every Osuna appearance.
    And as for her tweet on Sánchez I’d say “truth is a defense for libel”. I truly believe if Sánchez was catching for the Nats we’d be up 2-0 right now. Suzuki has saved their ass blocking and throwing so far this series.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Everyone knows Taubman didn't threaten her... she just "felt" threaten.

There is a difference.. a big difference.

She is an innocent delicate flower that felt threatened.

Bearded13 likes this.
  19. cardpire

cardpire Member

oh yes believe me i'm well aware of her tweets. just was taking a look to see how much of her feed was deleted.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don’t understand why you are intentionally acting obtuse or like you are incapable of understanding context. Once I heard it was scrunchy (footers nickname) with 2 other ladies by themselves it became abundantly clear what was going on. Every witness in the area confirmed it.
    If I walk up to you and get chest to chest and scream “good day sir” with eyes bugging out of my head am I giving you a pleasant farewell? Hell no. Don’t be obtuse. It’s not becoming and I think you are above that.
    You don’t have to like them firing Taubman or like Footer in particular or the media in general or talk about stuff beyond on the field , but we should be able to engage as rational people that understand what’s going on and what happened.