1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The press aren't your friends. If you're going to sit in the big boy chair, you have to act like a grown up. Taubman did not (in addition to lying) and so he got shown the door.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

One thing has come out of this thread. Pretty disappointed in @J.R.

didn’t consider him to have such a strange reaction this this

topfive likes this.
  3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Astros cut him, Yankees pick him up, media puts out an Osuna redemption story.

4. Nook

Nook Member

No, this isn’t entirely accurate.

He taunted a reporter over the issue of domestic violence.

He then lied to his employer which led to his employer issuing a false statement that embarrassed the entire franchise.

That is why he was fired.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, anytime I see someone ranting about the "fake news media," everything else they say comes with some degree of doubt attached to it. The angrier they are, the higher the degree.

Just weird to see someone ranting about "outrage culture" and getting all... um... what's the word I'm looking for here? Oh yeah: outraged.

#545 topfive, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Guy does drunken ******* thing
    Guy catches flak for it
    Guy lies to his bosses
    Bosses back up guy with an incredibly poorly thought out PR release
    Guy is proven to be in the wrong
    Bosses wait
    PR sh!tstorm grows
    Bosses fire guy
    Bosses release better PR statement

Does that about sum it up?

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

One unforeseen and unfortunate consequence of this is that it will be a setback for female sports journalists.

The main reason this exploded is because it was male-to-female interaction. The subject matter played a role, but, I cannot imagine that this story would have caught fire the way it did if this was a man taunting and cursing at another man (let's say hypothetically the journo who had been dogging the Astros all year about Osuna was a man).

I'm not making a value judgment on that, but whoever decided to publish this story I hope weighed the ramifications of how this would affect female sports journalists going forward.

jiggyfly and phasors28 like this.
  8. jcf

jcf Member

What do you believe would be her valid claims for a lawsuit?

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's been truly bizarre watching a handful of otherwise sane, rational people light their BBS reputations on fire defending Taubman and the Astros (or attacking the journalists) over this.

elrond and topfive like this.
  10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The Astros' initial statement accused her of lying. For a journalist that is a big deal. That's gotta be libel.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

"Back up guy" doesn't totally cover it (they attacked the victim of the drunken assholery) but otherwise yeah spot on.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have admitted the first statement they released was false. The Astros went public claiming that SI and the report were wrong. That has called into question her integrity and honesty in a profession were those are paramount.

She WILL sue and with the admission by the Astros she will win. The question is what is fair and reasonable and it will likely result in a 7 figure settlement many times over because the Astros will want to settle. They don’t want their owner and GM and players deposed. Nor do they want their former employee commenting.

The Astros lawyers this winter need to work out a settlement agreement so she will do a no disclosure agreement.

13. Buck Turgidson

She is an employee of MLB. MLB is conducting their own "internal investigation". So I'd think HR related suits like workplace harassment or hostile work environment are potentially on the table.

14. Nook

Nook Member

That’s acts I-III

Act IV will be any punishment for the GM

Act V will be the civil suit and likely costly settlement

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

7 seems a bit rough but it was a national story so I guess that's plausible. But yeah this is exactly how it will go down. The Astros will pay to make this go away, another huge part of why dickface mcshithead got fired.

Nook likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Oh hell yeah, I totally forgot about that angle. That's even greener pastures for a lawsuit than the whole libel thing.

17. Nook

Nook Member

I would like to know if she has an arbitration clause in her contract that may force it to arbitration or some language limiting her ability to see an MLB team.

18. jcf

jcf Member

You may be right that the Astros will ultimately pay to avoid the continued PR.

But, do you think she made herself a public figure for these purposes? Yes, I know you may contend malice is a lay down based on the later remarks re: the first statement, but those cases are difficult and I doubt the Astros will go with they were lying if this goes to litigation.

Nook likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

As an MLB employee, why wouldn't she seek recourse from her employer? I honestly have no idea, and like you said we don't know the specifics.

I'm shaky on the Antitrust implications here also, as far as the League liability vs individual Teams in a situation like this.

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

In federal court I don’t think it will matter honestly. It just won’t get that far.

Crane doesn’t want to give a deposition and I suspect the Astros know a bit more than we are letting on anyway.

Also you better believe MLB is going to pressure the Astros to resolve this issue.